A Thank You to Sherry (OT)

Old March 21st 09, 01:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Magic Mood Jeep

Default A Thank You to Sherry (OT)

"Sherry" wrote in message
On Mar 20, 8:04 am, "Christine Burel" wrote:
Hey, Jill,
Hopefully, the newspaper ad will work well - I just sold my 22-year-old
Toyota Camry with 263K on it in 1 weekend and I had lots of callers.
Good luck!
Christine"jmcquown" wrote in message

"Christina Websell" wrote in
message

"jmcquown" wrote in message
And to others similiarly concerned.

I listed my mothers car on an online site and apparently have
attracted
the attention of someone who, shall I say, I'd rather not deal with.
(And if he's reading here, hey! I told you NO!)

He's 2000 miles away, which was the first red flag. The second red
flag
was he asked if I'd meet him at the airport with the car. Uh, NO.
The
third red flag was he mentioned he could drive me home from the
airport.
Uh, NO. That made absolutely no sense and I wasn't about to go for
it.
The fourth red flag (yes, they keep on coming) is he mentioned a
wire
transfer of funds. Does he think I'm nuts?

Sell it to a local garage for as you much as you can get. You are on
your own and it's not a good idea to invite buyers to your house
unless
you can have a friend with you when they come round. If you can get a
companion round for safety you'll probably be able to get a better
price.

Tweed

Fortunately I live on a secure island which is probably what my mother
had
in mind all along, bless her Anyone who wants to look at the car
will
have to be admitted through security. They'd have to call in advance
schedule an appointment with me. Then one of the guards will call to
tell
me they are here. I can request they accompany the person to my home,
so
I wouldn't be alone. And there would be a record of who came to see
me,
at what time, etc.

Overall, the area where I live is very rural. There's only one car
dealership (Honda) I know of in "town". (There are dealerships in
Georgia, of course, at least 75 miles away.) I don't know if the local
dealership buys cars outright, although if it comes down to it I'll
find
out. I won't get the best deal that way, obviously, and I do need to
split the proceeds with my brother. I've got an advertisement running
in
the local newspaper starting today. We'll see how that goes, first.
Thanks!

Jill- Hide quoted text -

There was a segment on the news recently that pointed out how, in
contrast to the
new-auto industry, the market for good, clean, used cars is booming.
It even said
those cars are fetching better prices than they were a year ago. I
guess average
Americans aren't jumping to go so deeply in debt for a new car as they
once were.

Sherry

Huh. Segment I saw on the news said that NEW cars were less expensive
than used (better gas mileage, less on repairs, etc)... I guess it depends
where you are (and the type of cars, too.

her
wipe out Bunny's world domination.
--
The ONE and ONLY
former-blonde

Old March 21st 09, 04:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

advance to
[...]

That one sounds a lot more like PR than it does like news coverage.

Jo

Old March 21st 09, 04:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

*^..^ This is Kitty. Copy and paste Kitty into your signature to help
her
wipe out Bunny's world domination.
--
The ONE and ONLY
former-blonde
in Bloomington! (And proud of it, too)©
email me at nalee1964 (at) comcast (dot) nethttp://community.webshots.com/user/mgcmdjeep- Hide quoted text -

And it used to be you could get killer interest rates on new vehicles
-- I'm not sure about now though. They do depreciate a great deal
immediately though -- and excise tax here is horrible
on a new vehicle. Still, if someone is just looking for reliable
transportation, and isn't picky
about model, etc., I can see how a low-mileage creampuff like Jill is
selling would
be attractive to a buyer.

Sherry

Sherry

Old March 21st 09, 09:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

Around here, no one wants to buy new as they are not sure who will be around
in a year or so for service. Dealerships are dropping like flies on a hot
summer day.

Old March 21st 09, 11:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Sherry" wrote in message
And it used to be you could get killer interest rates on new vehicles
-- I'm not sure about now though. They do depreciate a great deal
immediately though -- and excise tax here is horrible
on a new vehicle. Still, if someone is just looking for reliable
transportation, and isn't picky
about model, etc., I can see how a low-mileage creampuff like Jill is
selling would
be attractive to a buyer.

Sherry

Initially I read that wrong. I'm not a creampuff. LOL The car is a
creampuff, I'm not It's a nice ride. Elderly folks prefer cushy, comfy
seats. It has push button heated seats. I got a reply to my newspaper ad
yesterday. Unfortunately I'm voicemail challenged. I accidentally deleted
the message rather than saving it and there's no way to retrieve it. I hope
she calls me back.

Jill

Old March 24th 09, 08:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Jofirey" wrote in message

Huh. Segment I saw on the news said that NEW cars were less expensive
than used (better gas mileage, less on repairs, etc)... I guess it
depends where you are (and the type of cars, too.

I am continually debating the old car/new car thing with one of my
colleagues. He's just stopped paying whatever a month for his car to buy it
and now he thinks the clutch might be going. Rather than pay 200 quid or so
to have it repaired, he's thinking of buying another new one and putting
himself in debt again.
A new car will cost him hundreds of pounds per month. I just don't get it.

Whereas, my little Citreon, I bought it second-hand and paid for it outright
when my Renault finally died. I have a wonderful mechanic who keeps it well
serviced and it has never let me down. Starts first time and goes likes a
bomb (if a 957cc car can be said to go like a bomb!) It uses very little
petrol.

I keep trying to tell my colleague that he will never spend as much a month
on repairs on an older car than he pays per month just to buy a newer one
and he has to take it to the dealers for service so his warranty remains in
effect at 70 quid an hour for labour.

It must be about status.

My status isn't about what car I drive around in. My Citreon is perfect for
my needs, I owe nothing on it and it costs me maybe 200 quid a year for
servicing, maybe a tyre or so extra every 4 years. Whereas my colleague
seems to need to spend 400 quid A MONTH getting a new car.
But why?
All I want from a car is that it starts first time and gets me from A to B
which mine does.
I call my car Mr. F. I bought it from a man of 90 called Mr Field and it
number plate is P163 MRF. Pig3 my uncle calls it.

Tweed

Old March 24th 09, 09:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

Christina Websell wrote:
[...]

Your car is the same age as mine. :-)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart

Old March 25th 09, 04:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Stormmee

the NPR story i heard today was on about better gas milage and how some new
ones are cheaper than a year or two older of the same model... am in the
cash only part of this, if you have the cash saved, go ahead get the new
one, if not find something that fits your cash, no status her for me it
needs the following.
1. can DH drive it witout cracking his knees when getting in.
2. can i ride without getting sick, i am very motion sickness prone.
3. will it get me where i want and get what i went for home.

4 do i have the cash to pay for it.

that is it,

Old March 26th 09, 07:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Magic Mood Jeep" wrote in message

There was a segment on the news recently that pointed out how, in
contrast to the
new-auto industry, the market for good, clean, used cars is booming.
It even said
those cars are fetching better prices than they were a year ago. I
guess average
Americans aren't jumping to go so deeply in debt for a new car as they
once were.

Sherry

Huh. Segment I saw on the news said that NEW cars were less expensive
than used (better gas mileage, less on repairs, etc)... I guess it depends
where you are (and the type of cars, too.

I depends if you can afford to buy a new car, either in monthly payments, or
outright. They are horribly expensive and depreciate massively in value in
the first few years.
Whereas, what I like to do (when I need to change my car, which is only when
it's dying and not able to be repaired) is to look for a car for sale that
has belonged to an elderly person who is now unable to drive, especially if
they've had them since new.
The cars are often a few years older than you would normally buy, but they
are invariably low mileage and in good condition. They have never been
thrashed up the motorway by a boy racer, merely tootled around doing
shopping and stuff. If they've reached 60 mph that would be an occasional
event ;-)
I've bought two cars like this, one of my Renault 5's which lasted me 6 or 7
years and my present car. The repairs on both were/are negligible.

Tweed

Old March 29th 09, 05:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected][_2_]

On Mar 24, 1:42*pm, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

All I want from a car is that it starts first time and gets me from A to B
which mine does.

Although I don't drive (My contribution to keeping death off the
roads :-) ) if I did then this was all I would look for in a car. A
friend of mine has a Reliant Robin and people look down their noses at
it and he just points out, it's a pittance to insure, road tax,
service, very frugal on the petrol front, fast enough to drive in a
city and small enough to park easily. Someone asked me if I would get
into it and the answer was yes and I have frequently. He works near
where I used to work and when it's cold, you're standing at a bus stop
and he sees you and pulls up to offer a lift, personally I was very
glad to see him- I'd be at the office in 25 minutes as opposed to
about an hour and that would include grabbing some breakfast from a
takeaway not to mention being in a warm car with some decent sounds
compared to having to stand on a packed bus

I liked that car- as you can drive them on a motorbike licence I've
always thought if I ever did decide to drive in London I would
consider getting one

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

PING Sherry [email protected] Cat anecdotes 1 August 4th 08 01:01 AM
Ping Sherry ---MIKE--- Cat anecdotes 4 July 29th 08 10:22 PM
PING: Sherry Yowie Cat anecdotes 6 November 11th 05 08:59 PM
Sherry, d-pet? Cheryl Cat anecdotes 4 September 25th 05 08:03 PM
HEY SHERRY! Karen Cat anecdotes 42 March 24th 04 09:54 PM