What would do with your cats if you were evicted?

Old March 22nd 09, 05:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
ScratchMonkey

Default What would do with your cats if you were evicted?

wrote in news:ef570380-c454-4697-8a51-24e6ea3a4317
@d19g2000yqb.googlegroups.com:

I've had to ask for bail outs from my youngest brother before now more
than once- okay he's a sweetie, he'd blow a fuse if I got rid of the
cats to save money, he always says he's just glad that he's in a
position where he earns enough money to be able to help out family
members when they need it and I still hate doing it but I've done it
for my cats adn that's how you have to see it.

Speaking of money, I have money but not time and have to care for a
relative's cats. (She's living away from home after medical problems.) How
do I find someone to pay to come in and feed them and change litter boxes
for me?

I asked him if he would give away his dog. And without
hesitation he said yes. Figures, he's married and has a baby

You should have asked him if he would give away the baby! Seriously
it's one thing to say "I'd get rid of the dog" when it's a theoretical
question and quite another to actually do the deed!

Most people will view equating pets to children as a psychological problem.
(I've seen this in the newspaper shrink columns, FWIW.) "Child people" look
at "cat people" as dangerous nuts. Be careful pushing that angle.
Old March 22nd 09, 05:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"Mischief" wrote in message
That is the question my brother asked me during a very tense and
tearful conversation I just had with him.

I went to court for my restitution hearing only to find out that
the
drunk driver's lawyer had it postponed another month so he can
discuss
the damages I'm claiming with his client.

My calls to the insurance companies about my property and medical
claims informed me that the claims are pending while people are
still
sending in their paperwork.

while I had two job interviews on wed, all attempts to talk to a
live
person at teh unemployment office have failed and they have closed
their doors to walk-in appointments.

I have about a grand in the bank and rent alone is $1100. And the
BF
who moved in at Xmas has also been unable to find a job.

I had a bit of an emotional breakdown last night, and most of my
family members are out of the country so the only person I could
call
for any type of help or support was my brother.

The relationship between me and brother is strained and has been
for
years. I view him as a harsh stuck-up, insufferable person and I'm
sure the feeling is mutual.

After talking with him for an hour he advised me that he would help
me
and ensure that I would not go belly up. We starting talking
through
the expenses and finally we came to the cats.

"You know what I'm gonna say, Kristi.'

And I told him, "I'm gonna tell you right now, it's not going to
happen."

And that's when he asked me that question. And I honestly couldn't
not answer, and I just got more and more upset as he went on about
how
they are an expense and I would have to find homes for them. Since
right now I have no source of income, from his standpoint it is
outrageous for him to send me money to support me, my BF AND the
cats. I asked him if he would give away his dog. And without
hesitation he said yes. Figures, he's married and has a baby.

He said it would be better for them to be with someone who could
take
care of them, possibly temporarily until I got back on my feet.
And
also I have to think logically.

well i don't think I could forgive myself if I gave up my
babies......I would spend more stress worrying about them and
constantly second-guessing myself

But if I got evicted and had nowhere else to go, I couldn't just
keep
them in carriers in my backseat....I mean THEN under those
circumstances I would try to find a friend to give them TEMPORARY
care.......

Honestly, it would be several weeks before I officially got
evicted,
if that ever happens, and then I would have to come up with a plan
before it became official....

argh......i jsut don't know....my head hurts.....

Which led me to post this on here.....how would you care for your
babies if, by some chance, you got evicted or forced to make
drastic
finance cuts?

Kristi

I would hate to be young again. It took us a lifetime to get to where
we don't have to really worry about things like that.

As I reminded my older daughter the last time she 'borrowed' money
(and it will be the last time) we are retired and what we have is all
we have. I then reminded her that if we run out of money now, we move
in with her. And that I can't promise to outlive her father. She got
the idea.

That said, if we could no longer care for Molly or Jake or Kayla, she
would take them in a heartbeat. She would care for them the best her
finances would allow, and they all adore her.

There would probably be a 'custody fight' for Kayla, since everyone
adores her and she has everyone convinced she loves them best.

This is one reason we limit it to two cats and one dog. That is what
we can afford. I don't know that we would replace these three if they
died, since we are getting older and have to worry about who would
love them if we were gone.

Jo

Old March 22nd 09, 05:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Smokie Darling (Annie)

On Mar 22, 11:26*am, ScratchMonkey
wrote:
wrote in news:ef570380-c454-4697-8a51-24e6ea3a4317
@d19g2000yqb.googlegroups.com:

I've had to ask for bail outs from my youngest brother before now more
than once- okay he's a sweetie, he'd blow a fuse if I got rid of the
cats to save money, he always says he's just glad that he's in a
position where he earns enough money to be able to help out family
members when they need it and I still hate doing it but I've done it
for my cats adn that's how you have to see it.

Speaking of money, I have money but not time and have to care for a
relative's cats. (She's living away from home after medical problems.) How
do I find someone to pay to come in and feed them and change litter boxes
for me?

Depends on where you live. You can ask the local humane society or
the vets office. They'd know people who could, or might be willing,
to do that. They'd also be in a position to know how they would treat
the cats.

Old March 22nd 09, 05:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
ScratchMonkey

"Granby" wrote in
:

Sadie with her abandoment issues and the "one person dog" she is,
would be put down. I couldn't give her to anyone, or a shelter, at
least not at this point.

That's my current feeling with Harley. She's fine with me but goes "wet
gremlin" with someone else around, or with the smell of other cats on me.
I've let my friends know that they'll likely have to put her down and
scatter her ashes with mine. I wish it were otherwise, but....
Old March 22nd 09, 05:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Smokie Darling (Annie)

On Mar 22, 11:34*am, ScratchMonkey
wrote:
"Smokie Darling (Annie)" wrote in news:d47743b0-
:

Make an offer that someone will not accept (because you know that
person), then your conscience is 'clear' (after all you *did* make the
offer), and whatever happens isn't as a result of you.

Likely he sees a fixation on a pet as no different from a fixation on a
narcotic. Do you help people addicted to drugs when you know the money will
be spent on the next fix?

That's what I did with my oldest brother. I *knew* he was going to
use the money for drugs (okay, I strongly suspected it), but he said
he needed it for food and rent. I couldn't *not* give it to him.
Sometimes I'd buy him groceries and pay his rent myself, but I could
never just leave him to his own devices.
Old March 22nd 09, 05:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"ScratchMonkey" wrote in
message . ..
wrote in
@d19g2000yqb.googlegroups.com:

I've had to ask for bail outs from my youngest brother before now
more
than once- okay he's a sweetie, he'd blow a fuse if I got rid of
the
cats to save money, he always says he's just glad that he's in a
position where he earns enough money to be able to help out family
members when they need it and I still hate doing it but I've done
it
for my cats adn that's how you have to see it.

Speaking of money, I have money but not time and have to care for a
relative's cats. (She's living away from home after medical
problems.) How
do I find someone to pay to come in and feed them and change litter
boxes
for me?

Depends on where you live. A couple of the techs at my vet will do
this. I've had neighbor kids who could be trusted, but don't now.
Most vets have the names of a few trusted (and bonded) people that
will come in to care for pets.

And we have a local business called "Pooh-Dooty" that comes around
once or twice a week and scoops up the dog poop in the yard. (Costs
$45 a month to have the back yard cleaned up thoroughly every Friday)
They will come in to take care of pets or they will board them at
their place.

The Cat Hotel where we sometimes board Jake and Molly have a couple of
long term residents. Their humans are deployed overseas. They have
individual condos for the cats, many with a view. Access to a very
well fenced and covered outdoor area surrounded by large trees. And
they also do bathing and grooming. Well behaved cats are allowed the
run of the place and each others company.

Jo

Old March 22nd 09, 06:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat[_2_]

"Matthew" wrote

| Also about eviction it is not weeks but months

The time is much shorter if you don't pay the rent.

Old March 22nd 09, 06:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

It is what it is, to give Sadie to someone knowing they will probably get
bitten is just not fair to her. She has been mistreated enough.

A good thought, I got her back in November and today, for the first time she
willingly walked up and let my son pet her and, she let him take her outside
and let her back in the house. PROGRESS.
"ScratchMonkey" wrote in message
. ..
"Granby" wrote in
:

Old March 22nd 09, 06:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew[_3_]

"Pat" wrote in message
et...

"Matthew" wrote

| Also about eviction it is not weeks but months

The time is much shorter if you don't pay the rent.

I m only going by what I see on the court TV and Florida it can take up to
a year here to get them out rent free they get the whole time.