I thought I was dying

Old August 7th 08, 01:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

Default I thought I was dying

"Lesley" wrote in message
On Aug 3, 9:44 pm, wrote:
But not *painful*. I
find a blood pressure cuff more painful!

I love you Joyce!!!!

Not had the mammogram yet but finally someone else who doesn't like
blood pressure cuffs- everyone says they don't hurt but I find they
make me feel as if my arm is about to be crushed. I mean the year
before last I had a filling done, one where my dentist took one look
at what had come out and said "Oh my God that's big!" and then had to
drill into the tooth to provide purchase for the screws which were
then screwed in to hold the new filling in place along with a couple
of nails that were hammered into the root canal..and I didn't have any
anaesthesia at all

And I would sooner have that done that blood pressure cuffs...close
run through

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

***

I don't think I'd go quite that far, but I hate the blood pressure cuffs and
find them very painful as well. Since I believe pain can raise your blood
pressure, it seems to me that they can't get an accurate reading that way.
They can now take your temperature by sticking the thermometer in your ear
for three seconds. Why can't they figure out a way to take your blood
pressure painlessly?

Joy

Old August 7th 08, 01:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"CatNipped" wrote in message
"Joy" wrote in message
.. .
wrote in message
MaryL -out-the-litter wrote:

Don't worry about it. I responded "just in case" Pat was serious
about this
joke convincing her never to have a mammogram. That's too important
overlook. However, I seriously doubt if this joke -- or your
message --
would have anything at all to do with Pat's decision. Just read some
of her
previous comments about her views on medical care, and I think that
would
actually be the basis of her decision.

Well, in fairness, there is *some* controversy about the effectiveness
of mammograms. They don't necessarily find all breast cancers.

I still get them, though, because I would rather be doing something
than
nothing, and it's not like they've been *proven* to be useless. In
fact,
mammograms do find early cancers all the time. Besides, I don't know of
any
other diagnostic device for breast cancer. So if a mammogram were to
fail
to find cancer, I'd be in the same place I would be if I hadn't had
one.
Whereas if it does find it, then I'm better off, right?

--
Joyce ^..^

Exactly. It seems to me I've heard about something else that some
doctors recommend in addition to mammograms, but I've never heard of a
doctor recommending you not get one because it might not find cancer.
Every few years I end up having an ultrasound after my mammo, because I
am prone to cysts. I had my first one removed when I was 14 years old.
I had another one removed about 40 years later. In between, and since,
I've had them, but they come and go. I've had a couple of needle
biopsies, but the ultrasound can usually tell they are just cysts, so I
haven't had one of those in a long time. Now whenever they find a lump,
I just assume it's another cyst. So far it always has been. That
doesn't keep me from getting my annual mammo, though. However, my
ob-gyn told me I only need 7 more, and then I can stop getting them. It
seems they aren't necessary after you are 80.

Joy

?????!!! Really?! Why aren't they necessary after you are 80? My
grandmother lived to be 104 - so she had 24 more years after 80 in which
to possibly get breast cancer.

I guess it doesn't matter to the medical bods if you die after you are 80.
Same as myself, if I seem to be clear of cancer after 5 years, I will be
discharged as a success. We all know it doesn't always work like that.
My colleague had breast cancer, had a mastectomy, and chemo, was declared
a success. Ten years later it was back, in her bones, and she is now dead
at the age of 49.

Sometimes when somebody has been declared cured, they will later get a
different type of cancer. Of course there are so many variables regarding
cancer. There are any number of different types, which behave differently.
Many of them don't always behave the way they are expected to. I've known
people who were given a few months to live and they're still alive years
later. I knew a girl who was in junior high school (now called middle
school) who had leukemia. Her parents were told that, in spite of the
treatments which made her hair fall out, she had a 30% chance of living to
graduate from high school, and a 3% chance of living much beyond that. She
is now 44 years old.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry when people talk about "a cure for
cancer". There will never be such a thing. Progress is being made, and
there may well be cures for certain types of cancers. Theoretically it is
possible that someday there will be cures for all types of cancer. However,
they will be many different types of cures for many different types of
cancer.

Joy (whose husband died of squamus cell carcinoma of the lungs)

Old August 7th 08, 04:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"Joy" wrote in message
"Lesley" wrote in message
On Aug 3, 9:44 pm, wrote:
[...]

Some of 'them' can. I too have a problem when someone insists on
running the pressure on the cuff up so high it makes the reading
inaccurate because of the pain.

And with anyone who can see that I need the larger cuff but is too
lazy to go find it and tries to take my blood pressure with one that
doesn't fit.

Then there are those who can't hear well enough to get an accurate
reading.

But the nurse at my current doctor's office is a love. She can put
the regular cuff around my forearm and get an accurate reading every
time.

Jo

Old August 7th 08, 11:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl P.[_2_]

Joy wrote:

[...]

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Yes, 'cure for cancer' is almost meaningless considering the very wide
range of diseases that are all classified under 'cancer'. Nevertheless,
some progress has been made. One of my cousins also had leukemia - one
of the common childhood ones, I forget which. Some years before she was
diagnosed, it was nearly 100% fatal. When she was sick, it was about 50%
fatal (and she wasn't in the lucky 50%). Now, almost all children who
get that type of cancer survive longterm - well into adulthood, maybe as
long as anyone else; it's early to be sure. That's an enormous
improvement just in my lifetime.

Others, well...not so good. And even certain kinds of cancer aren't all
the same - we've been talking about breast cancer, but there are
different kinds of breast cancer, some more aggressive than others, some
more easily treated (especially if not advanced when discovered), some
with a hormonal or genetic relationship. A younger friend of mine is
being treated for breast cancer now and it looks very bad. Other women I
know have survived for years and years. Different forms of breast
cancer, probably; discovered and treated at different stages.

And you're right about someone getting a different kind of cancer. It
happened to my grandmother - and because of the earlier diagnosis, we
questioned the doctors carefully about whether the new cancer was a
recurrence or not - they were certain it was completely different. She
had a lot of very good years after the first cancer was successfully
treated with surgery and radiation, and before the second one hit.

Cheryl
Old August 7th 08, 02:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

On Aug 6, 2:01*pm, wrote:

Good lord, please tell me you're exaggerating. Your mouth must have looked
like Frankenstein's mouth. And why on earth didn't you have anesthesia??
Not even novocaine?

Not exaggerating- it was a molar- 2 in from the side of my jaw and if
there's one thing I hate it's an injection in that position! It always
feels like it's going to go through the joint. I had the understanding
that if I asked her to stop she would and we'd go on under
anaesthetic. It only hurt in occasional sharp flashes apart from the
last 10 seconds, which felt half an hour long each! It looks fine but
will need to be crowned at some point

Old August 7th 08, 03:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl P.[_2_]

Lesley wrote:
On Aug 3, 9:44 pm, wrote:
But not *painful*. I
find a blood pressure cuff more painful!

I love you Joyce!!!!

Not had the mammogram yet but finally someone else who doesn't like
blood pressure cuffs- everyone says they don't hurt but I find they
make me feel as if my arm is about to be crushed. I mean the year
before last I had a filling done, one where my dentist took one look
at what had come out and said "Oh my God that's big!" and then had to
drill into the tooth to provide purchase for the screws which were
then screwed in to hold the new filling in place along with a couple
of nails that were hammered into the root canal..and I didn't have any
anaesthesia at all

And I would sooner have that done that blood pressure cuffs...close
run through

Eeep.

I've always been nervous with dentists and in spite of the fact that
I've been going to a very good one for many years the old terrors
sometimes stick their heads up. Anticipation isn't much fun either, so
when at the last regular checkup my dentist informed me that I really
should have one of my last two wisdom teeth out and a filling done in
another tooth, and although I could certainly take my time and think it
over, he had just had a cancellation for the morning....well, I figured
I'd better go ahead rather than work myself up into a state of terror.
With anesthesia - including that really awful needle where you feel
like the tip is coming out of the top of your head, it actually wasn't
that bad, but without anesthesia shudder

I don't mind blood pressure measurement, although those free machines in
drugstores pinch pretty hard. My doctor thinks they're usually
inaccurate and doesn't really recommend using them. Mammograms - so-so.
I've had one or two that felt like they were planning on performing a
mastectomy with the damn machine but either the techs have gotten better
or my breasts have gotten less sensitive, and I haven't had a problem
like that in ages. I got referred to the special breast screening clinic
(and the hospital for a baseline bone density scan) at 50, talk about
feeling like I'm falling apart! But I had no trouble getting in - my GP
told me to book well in advance rather than wait for the clinic to call
because at that time the clinic tended to call and tell you you were due
for an appointment on the anniversary of your previous one, at which
time they tended to be booked up for several months. They've fixed that
now, and call or write ahead of time to book an appointment at the
proper time. I must say, it's a nice efficient place. And it's got the
largest hospital gowns I've ever seen. A woman of any size can safely
and modestly swathe herself in one for the walk from the change rooms to
the waiting area. They also have a nurse to a very thorough physical
breast exam and answer any questions you might have.

Cheryl
Old August 7th 08, 10:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^..^=`

bastXXXette
Lesley
On Aug 3, 9:44?pm, bastXXXe:
But not *painful*. I
find a blood pressure cuff more painful!

I love you Joyce!!!!

Wow, I never realized it was so easy to be loved.

It's easy to love such a sweet person like yourself

Not had the mammogram yet but finally someone else who doesn't like
blood pressure cuffs- everyone says they don't hurt but I find they
make me feel as if my arm is about to be crushed.

They didn't used to hurt when doctors pumped it manually, but now
everyone uses digital ones, and those just keep squeezing and squeezing
and squeezing. I'm always about to start saying, "Um, hello? Yes, um,
my arm is coming off? Is this supposed to happen?"

I mean the year
before last I had a filling done, one where my dentist took one look
at what had come out and said "Oh my God that's big!" and then had to
drill into the tooth to provide purchase for the screws which were
then screwed in to hold the new filling in place along with a couple
of nails that were hammered into the root canal..and I didn't have any
anaesthesia at all

That is wrong IMO!! Not even laughing gas aka nitrous oxide?

Good lord, please tell me you're exaggerating. Your mouth must have looked
like Frankenstein's mouth. And why on earth didn't you have anesthesia??
Not even novocaine?

Most dentists are evil IMO. I'm glad I have dentures, which I rarely wear
because the top one doesn't fit, and my lower went missing years ago. Ho
hum.
Kyla

--
Joyce ^..^

Old August 7th 08, 11:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kyla =^..^=`

"polonca12000" ...
kilikini wrote:
I didn't think of gall bladder, but that could be it, too. I need mine

out,
but mine is complicated from my previous surgeries. I can't get it done
laparoscopically (I have no belly button) and my lower abdominals have
been removed to rebuild my chest. The complication is that the muscles'
blood supply is still attached to my waistline. If a surgeon cuts
through that blood supply, the muscles die.

So, to help avoid more surgery, I have once again drastically changed my
diet. Pretty soon I'll be down to just water. :-/

kili

Lots of purrs and gentle hugs,
Polonca and Soncek

Lots of purrs and gentle hugs coming from our house too
Kyla and Clowder

Old August 8th 08, 12:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Cheryl P." wrote in message
Joy wrote:

[...]

Thank you. It was over 22 years ago.

[...]

Yes, I know several breast cancer survivors, and have known a couple of
women who didn't survive. My husband was told there are at least three
different kinds of lung cancer. The one he had is almost always caused by
smoking. And there are at least a couple of kinds of skin cancer. I've
known several people who had one kind removed with no further problems, or
maybe they'd get the same kind again and it would be removed without doing
further damage. OTOH, malignant melanoma is one of the deadliest cancers
around.

And you're right about someone getting a different kind of cancer. It
happened to my grandmother - and because of the earlier diagnosis, we
questioned the doctors carefully about whether the new cancer was a
recurrence or not - they were certain it was completely different. She had
a lot of very good years after the first cancer was successfully treated
with surgery and radiation, and before the second one hit.

My Dad was on long-term treatment for prostate cancer when he had several
relatively harmless skin cancers removed. The doctor said the two were
totally unrelated.

Joy

A Thought for Today Kyla =^. .^= Cat anecdotes 0 May 21st 08 09:51 PM
O. T. but cute, I thought Granby Cat anecdotes 25 February 10th 08 11:35 PM
Pearl in thought Karen Cat anecdotes 5 March 25th 05 02:57 AM
Who would have thought... dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers Cat anecdotes 18 July 4th 04 09:19 PM
And I thought my cat was fat... Rona Yuthasastrakosol Cat health & behaviour 34 April 7th 04 05:33 AM