kidney failure and force feeding

Old November 10th 03, 08:17 PM
arda

Default kidney failure and force feeding

Well, I've read many archive posts (about 200 there are about
force-feeding) and I came up with something different on my own that
seeeems to be working.

Vet had said I should either get her to eat special wet food, or mix up
something with meat AND VEG. My cat likes things like fish, chicken, and
raw steak. Kind of a purist. But, she is also addicted to her dry science
diet, lord knows I've tried many types of canned food, but all she would
eat was the foul smelling Fancy Feast, fish flavours, a grocery store
catfood that stinks to high heavens. I gave her a tablespoon a day, just
as a treat, in the past. So this has been her habit. She has kidney
failure and for 6 weeks I've been struggling with watching her, basically,
dying. She's often been up on the counters hunting around for any source
of the dry food she likes. When I give her some, she barfs.

But now, the solution. Well, I wanted to find any kidney support herbs,
but all I came up with so far was parsley, celery and dandelion. Makes
sense. I incorporated this with another attempt to follow the vet's orders
to get her to eat veggies.

I took celery root, carrot and yam, cooked soft. I mashed that with a
little butter and a crushed vitamin tablet the vet'd recommended. Then I
wrap my girl in a towel and force this goo into her mouth with a syringe,
10cc per time. Only a couple ccs go in her mouth at once though. With her
head tilted back 45 degrees or so, she eats the stuff without choking.
Then I let her have the dry food, which she looooooves, but it's too high
protein. All the carb in the veggies should balance that off. Well, I
started this last night and was rewarded this morning with no barf, no
restlessness, and a nice big properly formed poop.

They say she won't put on weight, but even if she doesn't lose any more off
her skinny bones, maybe she can live longer.

She's 16, has subcutaneous fluids once or twice daily now.

I didn't xna this because who knows, it might be useful to someone else.

arda

Old November 11th 03, 02:29 AM
MacCandace

But, she is also addicted to her dry science
diet,

Have you tried Hill's k/d for cats with kidney disease? I have a cat with
kidney disease and he hates it but he does love Hill's g/d which is lower
protein than normal Hill's but not as low as k/d. He finds it quite palatable
and yummy. I hope your protocol works out for your little girl and you have a
lot more time with her. Try the g/d, not all vets carry it but I'm sure they
can order it for you.

Candace
(take the litter out before replying by e-mail)

See my cats:
http://photos.yahoo.com/maccandace

"One does not meet oneself until one catches the reflection from an eye other
than human." (Loren Eisely)

Old November 11th 03, 03:18 AM
arda

:
: Have you tried Hill's k/d for cats with kidney disease? I have a cat
with
: kidney disease and he

How long has he had kidney disease, how old is he, and was it ever at a
critical stage? Did he lose weight?

: hates it but he does love Hill's g/d which is lower
: protein than normal Hill's but not as low as k/d. He finds it quite

Well, I will check that out.
Actually, it's C/D she's still eating, I think it's 30% protein!

She produced another nice (yam-coloured) poop today. Yippee.

palatable
: and yummy. I hope your protocol works out for your little girl and you
have a
: lot more time with her. Try the g/d, not all vets carry it but I'm sure
they
: can order it for you.

I will check into that, thanks.

arda

Old November 11th 03, 04:20 AM
Cathy Friedmann

"Karen M." wrote in message
arda wrote:

[...]

Also, if I may jump in, if your cat doesn't like either of those, you
may want to try Purina's prescription low-protein diet. A friend of mine
tried that on her cat who didn't like the SD (I believe the cat liked
other kinds of SD, can't remember for sure), but she loved the Purina.
Something else to try if you need to.

Purina n/f, maybe?

Cathy

("The Boy in the Bubble") Paul Simon