Getting cat to eat

Old August 8th 04, 01:25 PM
Paul O.

Default Getting cat to eat

"Mimi Forsyth" wrote in message
letting the cat go without eating is inviting big trouble. Maybe you can

mix
the "old" foods to make "new" ones. Strained babyfood-chicken/turkey/beef

or
ham- may stimulate the appetite, but is not a "whole" food for cats, so

should
not be a 'regular' diet.

www.mimiforsyth.com

I have tried that before and no luck, but will be trying it again. I am

trying anything I can think of. He is over at his bowl eating this morning,
but it is something he hasn't had before. At least he doesn't have a
sensitive tummy when it comes to changing foods :-)
--
Paul O.
Absolutely clueless when it comes to cats

Old August 12th 04, 04:54 PM
Jeannie

"Paul O." wrote in message
Cat won't eat anything he has had before. Have his old dry food down,

wants
no part of it. The only thing he will eat is a canned food,*if* he hasn't
had it before. I bring a can of food home of a brand I haven't given him
before and he chuffs it down. Put out the same thing next day or a couple
days later, want's no part of it. Last time I was stubborn he went 18

hours
w/o eating till I stopped at the store and bought a different brand of

food
to give him, ate it right up. Next day didn't want any part of it or
anything else we have in the cupboard. I think it's time to see just how
many days he will go w/o eating till he gets hungry enough to eat what we
have. Whaddya think. He seems to feel ok, about as spry as I've seen him.
Bugs me constantly for something to eat, least I think that's why he won't
leave me alone when he's up and about.

Paul O.
Absolutely clueless when it comes to cats

If I were you I'd take him to the vet to get him checked out. He could have
a bad tooth which would have put him off the dried food or some other
problem which I can't even guess at.

If everything is OK medically, I would then buy cat food and just keep
putting it out for him, he will eat eventually. Maybe he has worked out
that if he turns his nose up at the food you give him today, he might get
something better tomorrow. According to the Cats Protection League
literature a healthy cat won't starve itself and I think this is true, they
also say that you shouldn't encourage your cat to be a fussy eater, which I
also think is correct.

Jeannie

---
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (
http://www.grisoft.com).

Old August 13th 04, 11:03 AM
Jeannie

"Paul O." wrote in message
. ..
But maybe a trip to the vet is in order.
--
Paul O.

I think that's what I would do and if everything is OK, you can proceed to
Plan B.

In my case, my cat, Lil, came from a shelter. I knew that, as the food all
the cats were fed was donated to the shelter, they had to eat what they were
given. When Lil came home with me, I had initially brought her some quite
expensive cat food from a pet store (to make her like me, obviously!!).
When this ran out, I decided to just get her food from the supermarket (like
everyone else does) rather than driving the 30 miles to the pet store. She
was not impressed at all and refused to eat it for a few days (although I
think she did sneakily eat it at night, she wouldn't let me*see* her eating
it), but I perservered.

Now 1 year down the line, she will eat anything I give her regardless of
brand or flavour, which I think is a good thing. Cat's are crafty and I
think in a lot of cases people pander to them too much. After all, you
wouldn't let your child get away with just eating chocolate bars and chips
for every meal, just because that's what they want.

Jeannie

---

Old August 13th 04, 11:40 AM
Paul O.

"Paul O." wrote in message
. ..
But maybe a trip to the vet is in order.
--
Paul O.

I think that's what I would do and if everything is OK, you can proceed to
Plan B.

Jeannie

Most times when I put the canned food down he will just lick the juices

off till it's dry then walk away. The dry food I have there he barely
touches.

Old August 13th 04, 02:19 PM
Jeannie

"Paul O." wrote in message

"Paul O." wrote in message
. ..
But maybe a trip to the vet is in order.
--
Paul O.

I think that's what I would do and if everything is OK, you can proceed

Plan B.

Jeannie

Most times when I put the canned food down he will just lick the juices

off till it's dry then walk away. The dry food I have there he barely
touches.
--
Paul O.
Absolutely clueless when it comes to cats

My cat does that too sometimes, but then again she does prefer dried food
and she eats buckets of that. I would definitely him to the vet for a
general (and especially dental) check up.

Jeannie

---