The Things Some People Say (OT)

Old December 22nd 04, 11:36 PM
Bridget

I misread it the same way and laughed myself into an asthma attach. I
too thought I was learning something new and exciting! Toilet paper to
defrost the sidewalk. Whodathunk?

Bridget wheezing

On 2004-12-22, jmcquown penned:

I bought toilet paper and rock salt to thaw the walk when it ices,
which it will.

You um, thaw your walk with toilet paper? Did I misread that?

Old December 23rd 04, 12:44 AM

jmcquown wrote:

But please remind me, if I ever decide to become a hooker, at least let me
be one who dresses better

LOL, although the bulk of your work might be done without the clothes
anyway. (Guess it depends on what kind of fantasy your customers have!)

Joyce
Old December 23rd 04, 01:10 AM
Yowie

"Cheryl Perkins" wrote in message
jmcquown wrote:
Ever notice some of the things a perfect stranger will start talking to

you
about when you're in a store or other public place?

snip

Oh, yes, and generally I like it. I don't run into it so much now as when
I did more bus travel, but I used to get a lot of very personal chitchat.
It was often medical in nature, all about how they'd been to Montreal for
this rare brain surgery which worked well, or how they're going in to
city to see Dr. X for a checkup; he's a real genius in treating Y, etc,
etc.

I like the sort of conversation you get when you are rummaging around in the
pet department trying to find kitten gooshy food and - like always - I was
talking to myself "kitten food..... hmmm... they've got to have kitten food
somewhere. Shh, calm down, its OK, I've just got to get you some food. No
you can't come out of hte box yet, its OK.....hmmmm..... Kitten food, Kitten
food......"

Its amazing the number of strangers who will stop to help you find kitten
gooshy food, and then stop to peer in the cardboard box that keeps having a
tiny little black paw spring out of the top in an attempt to escape. I got
to hear about their cats and how they came to be cat slaves themselves.. in
fact, one lady even said that in the next life she wants to come back as a
cat in a household just like hers. I could almost see the Mothership
"sucker" mark on her forehead. :-)

It was a good day.

Yowie

Old December 23rd 04, 01:47 AM
Karen Chuplis

in article , Yowie at

jmcquown wrote:
[...]

ooooooo. Tiny dribs and drabbles of news.....you are cruel

Old December 23rd 04, 01:47 AM
Jo Firey

I honestly wish I didn't look as approachable as I must when I'm out. I'm
very nearly deaf so its pretty pathetic trying to converse with a stranger.
And folks are all the time asking me stuff, in the grocery store, etc.
I've got the routine, "I wish I could help you but I'm deaf and can't
understand what you are saying" down cold. But after the third or fourth
time per outing I start to resent having to share the fact that I'm deaf
with strangers. And yes I know its unreasonable and not their fault. And
worse, it embarrasses quite a few people when I tell them I can't hear and
they keep talking to cover their embarrassment.

Extra touchy today. Went Christmas shopping with Charlie and he keeps
wandering off and leaving me to deal with sales clerks on my own.

Jo
"jmcquown" wrote in message
Ever notice some of the things a perfect stranger will start talking to
you
about when you're in a store or other public place?

A few years ago I was in a convenience store on Christmas Eve afternoon; 1
clerk, a line of people. The man in front of me started talking about how
he hadn't been to Mphs for several years and how it had grown! Okay,
yeah,
that's not strange. But then he looked at me and said, "You're all
dressed
up. You must be a secretary." Take my word for it, I respect
secretaries... it was my first office job and it's hard work. But for him
to assume, because I had on a nice work suit, that I was one was a bit
infuriating. I replied politely no, I do software tech support. He said,
"Oh, you're one of those *smart* women." What an idiot!

The other night I went to the liquor store to buy some spiced rum. When I
got up to the counter to pay there was a female customer. She had the
clerk
rooting around in a mini-fridge for "something cold" and he was naming off
what they had; some kind of fruity concoctions, I gathered. The woman
turned to me and said, "Like my new coat? It's MINK! My man was supposed
to get me a mink but he haddta spend the $500 to bail out for assault so I
bought it for myself." Uh, it's very nice. (Did I need to know all
that?)

If you'd care to take a guess at *that* woman's profession... I can tell
you
she's not a secretary! LOL The leather and "mink" (rabbit) jacket,
unzipped
to her navel under which she had on a bustier; jeans way too tight,
teetering on what had to be 5" high heeled boots... ahem. Ho Ho HO! LOL

Jill

Old December 23rd 04, 08:56 AM
CK

Kreisleriana wrote:
snip
Often a New Yorker's first inner response to
someone they don't know saying "Good morning" is "uh oh, what does
*he* want?"

Sounds like your typical Finn, or at least someone living in the greater
Helsinki area...

--
Christine in Vantaa, Finland
christal63 (at) yahoo (dot) com
Old December 23rd 04, 05:07 PM
Marina

CK wrote:

Kreisleriana wrote:
snip

Often a New Yorker's first inner response to
someone they don't know saying "Good morning" is "uh oh, what does
*he* want?"

Sounds like your typical Finn, or at least someone living in the greater
Helsinki area...

Just what I was thinking. )

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki
Old December 23rd 04, 07:12 PM
Kreisleriana

On Thu, 23 Dec 2004 19:07:12 +0200, Marina
yodeled:

CK wrote:

Kreisleriana wrote:
snip

Often a New Yorker's first inner response to
someone they don't know saying "Good morning" is "uh oh, what does
*he* want?"

Sounds like your typical Finn, or at least someone living in the greater
Helsinki area...

Just what I was thinking. )

Harrumph harrumph, whaddaYOU lookinat???

Theresa in NYC

Theresa
Old December 23rd 04, 09:36 PM
Dylan Blacquiere

I can't wait to be old and hassle random bystanders with tales of
incontinence and loose false teeth.

jmcquown wrote:

The woman turned to me and said, "Like my new coat? It's MINK! My man

was
supposed to get me a mink but he haddta spend the $500 to bail out for
assault so I bought it for myself." Uh, it's very nice. (Did I need to
know all that?)

Well, at least she's proud of her new coat and her ability to purchase it
herself, rather than relying on someone else to get it for her....

(I've lived in some interesting places in my time, and it's amazing how to
some people in some areas, who's in jail and who's on what drug and who
finks to the cops is as common a topic of casual conversation as celebrity
gossip and the latest American Idol is to others. She probably thought
nothing of the assault comment. Amazing, ain't it. I still have my
farmgirl sense of "Thing you don't say")

--Fil

Old December 23rd 04, 10:04 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2004-12-23, Jo Firey penned:
I honestly wish I didn't look as approachable as I must when I'm out. I'm
very nearly deaf so its pretty pathetic trying to converse with a stranger.
And folks are all the time asking me stuff, in the grocery store, etc. I've
got the routine, "I wish I could help you but I'm deaf and can't understand
what you are saying" down cold. But after the third or fourth time per
outing I start to resent having to share the fact that I'm deaf with
strangers. And yes I know its unreasonable and not their fault. And worse,
it embarrasses quite a few people when I tell them I can't hear and they
keep talking to cover their embarrassment.

Not that you asked for advice, but if you know sign language (or even if you
don't, but can learn a couple of words), perhaps you could learn to sign "I'm
deaf" or similar. It seems to me that people would be less likely to keep
chatting out of embarrassment ...

Extra touchy today. Went Christmas shopping with Charlie and he keeps
wandering off and leaving me to deal with sales clerks on my own.

Boo =/ I get grumpy about people wandering off while shopping, and I *do*
hear pretty well!

--
monique, who is sometimes allowed to pet Oscar, a grey^H^H^H^Hblue-cream DLH
with an attitude!