Kitten Won't Eat...we are starting to force feed

Old September 4th 05, 06:39 AM
gonzalesresidence

Default Kitten Won't Eat...we are starting to force feed

6 mo old kitten does not want to eat. he is putting the food in his mouth
and chewing but he is not swallowing. he is beginning to lose weight,
about .5 lb in the past 2 weeks. we have tried wet kitten food, puree his
food, etc. sometimes he will eat some but not much. he is still bathing
but is now sleeping a lot more than usual and does not play unless we play
with him with the feather stick. his littermate is fine, playful and
gaining weight.
i want to mention that we just put another one of his littermates to sleep
from pneumonia on 8/8. he also had an URI but has fully recovered. we
called the vet and asked if she thought we should bring him in due to his
recent behavior and losing weight and they said not to worry.
any advice please.....we don't want to lose another baby!
thanks!

Old September 4th 05, 07:38 AM
Charlie Wilkes

On Sun, 04 Sep 2005 01:39:34 -0400, "gonzalesresidence"
wrote:

6 mo old kitten does not want to eat. he is putting the food in his mouth
and chewing but he is not swallowing. he is beginning to lose weight,
about .5 lb in the past 2 weeks. we have tried wet kitten food, puree his
food, etc. sometimes he will eat some but not much. he is still bathing
but is now sleeping a lot more than usual and does not play unless we play
with him with the feather stick. his littermate is fine, playful and
gaining weight.
i want to mention that we just put another one of his littermates to sleep
from pneumonia on 8/8. he also had an URI but has fully recovered. we
called the vet and asked if she thought we should bring him in due to his
recent behavior and losing weight and they said not to worry.
any advice please.....we don't want to lose another baby!
thanks!

Take him to the emergency vet now. He might have a bowel obstruction,
and it will kill him. One way or another, he's in the process of
dying.

Charlie
Old September 4th 05, 09:28 AM
MaryL

"gonzalesresidence" wrote in message
lkaboutpets.com...
6 mo old kitten does not want to eat. he is putting the food in his mouth
and chewing but he is not swallowing. he is beginning to lose weight,
about .5 lb in the past 2 weeks. we have tried wet kitten food, puree his
food, etc. sometimes he will eat some but not much. he is still bathing
but is now sleeping a lot more than usual and does not play unless we play
with him with the feather stick. his littermate is fine, playful and
gaining weight.
i want to mention that we just put another one of his littermates to sleep
from pneumonia on 8/8. he also had an URI but has fully recovered. we
called the vet and asked if she thought we should bring him in due to his
recent behavior and losing weight and they said not to worry.
any advice please.....we don't want to lose another baby!
thanks!

This is serious. I agree with what Charlie Wilkes wrote. You need to get
him to an emergency vet -- and find another vet for your basic care.

MaryL

Old September 4th 05, 02:51 PM
Alison

[...]

Poor kitten, I can only agree with Charlie and Mary , take him to
another vet asap .
Let us know how you get on .
Alison

Old September 4th 05, 04:10 PM
Rhonda

Is the kitten breathing normally? Does he have a stuffy nose? If cats
can't smell, they won't eat. If he's putting food in his mouth though,
there would be something else going on.

I agree with everyone else, he needs proper vet care right away. I don't
know why a vet would ever say not to worry when a cat stops eating --
hope you can find a vet today!

Rhonda

Old September 8th 05, 10:50 PM
gonzalesresidence

Hi Everyone,
Thanks for the posts. We took Oso to the vet and he tested positive for
FLV and kidney infection. We are still force feeding him and trying to
find a holistic vet to help him boost his immune system. He is also on
antibiotics. Thank you again for all of your posts. If any of you have
dealt with something like this or have any ideas on how to comfort him
please let us know!