Can cats not eat pork?

Old September 29th 05, 09:28 PM
Ajanta

whitershadeofpale wrote:

: JUST say it.
:
: You fed your cat a pork chop now that cat is sleepy as hell and you're
: scared

Would be funny but no, nothing exciting like that!

I just notices that commercial cat food cans mention beef, chicken,
turkey, tuna, fish, shrimp, mackerel, trout, crab, lobster, duck, ...,
wheat, corn, rice, tomato, ... only not pork!

There must be a reason.
Old September 29th 05, 09:45 PM
cybercat

"Ajanta" wrote in message
whitershadeofpale wrote:

: JUST say it.
:
: You fed your cat a pork chop now that cat is sleepy as hell and you're
: scared

Would be funny but no, nothing exciting like that!

I just notices that commercial cat food cans mention beef, chicken,
turkey, tuna, fish, shrimp, mackerel, trout, crab, lobster, duck, ...,
wheat, corn, rice, tomato, ... only not pork!

There must be a reason.

I have never noticed this before. I wonder if it is because of the
trichiwhois
worm that lives in raw pork, the one that can cause such problems if the
meat is not cooked at high enough temperatures?

Old September 29th 05, 11:01 PM
Chuck

Ajanta wrote in message ...
whitershadeofpale wrote:

: JUST say it.
:
: You fed your cat a pork chop now that cat is sleepy as hell and you're
: scared

Would be funny but no, nothing exciting like that!

I just notices that commercial cat food cans mention beef, chicken,
turkey, tuna, fish, shrimp, mackerel, trout, crab, lobster, duck, ...,
wheat, corn, rice, tomato, ... only not pork!

There must be a reason.

Perhaps it's simply that scraps go into
making cat/dog food, and all pork scraps
go instead, into sausage and the like...

~C

Old September 29th 05, 11:54 PM

-L. wrote:

Pork biproducts by and large go into hot dogs and bologna. They are
too expensive for cat food.

Can cats not eat pork? Is it harmful to them?

They can and will eat pork. My cats love pork.

-L.

I did read somewhere that pork isn't good for cats. It was on one of
those websites about homemade cat food--I know anybody can say anything
they want to on a website, so I don't know if it's true or not. I wish
I could remember the reason specified.
Boots loves a chunk of cooked bacon anytime she can get it. And being
the picky little thing she is, we let her have just about anything
she'll eat.

Sherry

Old September 30th 05, 12:20 AM
Ajanta

: Boots loves a chunk of cooked bacon anytime she can get it. And being
: the picky little thing she is, we let her have just about anything
: she'll eat.

Hi Sherry, I am sure occasional bits don't matter but isn't there too
much other non-meat junk in bacon? Salt for one thing, and many other
chemicals.
Old September 30th 05, 12:38 AM
Ramboyd

whitershadeofpale wrote:

Ajanta wrote:
Quite clearly, cat food seems to be derived not from what cats would
eat but from what humans eat: beef, chicken, turkey, tuna, etc.

However, I also notice a conspicuous absence of one very popular and
common human staple from cat foods: pork.

Why is that? Can cats not eat pork? Is it harmful to them?

A pig is a filthy animal

Sure bacon tastes good, and yeah
sewer rat might taste like pumpkin pie

but a SWINE is still a filthy animal

I mean, what other animal rolls in it's own feces..

Just my thought on it

Evidently you never worked on a farm. The pig is the cleanest animal
there.

Ramboyd

======

"My Ottawa Includes Corruption"

Old September 30th 05, 01:17 AM
Observer

"Ajanta" wrote in message

: Boots loves a chunk of cooked bacon anytime she can get it. And being
: the picky little thing she is, we let her have just about anything
: she'll eat.

Hi Sherry, I am sure occasional bits don't matter but isn't there too
much other non-meat junk in bacon? Salt for one thing, and many other
chemicals.

Cats can eat pork. Some like it and some don't. But pork just does not
mean bacon. Their digestive systems are equipped to handle scrap meat
(mice, birds, lizards, etc.); so why not pork? I would not recommend a
steady diet of it because food intended for humans does not have the
required amount of taurine in it that cats mush have for healthy cardio.
That goes for tuna (and any meat) that is intended for human consumption
also.

But if your cat likes a bit of bacon or niblets off the pork chops, it's
okay. Just make sure it's just a treat and not a regular staple.

--The Observer

Old September 30th 05, 01:31 AM
Mishi

"Ajanta" wrote in message
Why is that? Can cats not eat pork? Is it harmful to them?

Hi Ajanta,
There is a local (to me in central NY) that sells a Ham based cat food in
the 3 oz cans. That is the only ham/pork item that I have ever seen.
Patti

Old September 30th 05, 01:53 AM
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

whitershadeofpale wrote:

A pig is a filthy animal

However, genetically it's much closer to human than are
bovines! (Think about it.) Why do you think they use
porcine heart valves for human transplants?

I mean, what other animal rolls in it's own feces..

Quite a few of them, actually! Also, from the reports I've
heard, most pigs would much prefer to be kept clean.

Old September 30th 05, 01:54 AM

Ajanta wrote:

Norm wrote:

: Can cats not eat pork? Is it harmful to them?
:
: Mine love it, particularly to gnaw on the bones and it hasn't hurt
: them any way I can see.

Hmmm I wonder why there is no pork in commercially sold cans?

Maybe because they use all the less desireable bits in
canned meat products for humans, instead?

performing cats Norm Cat anecdotes 0 September 18th 05 03:32 AM
rec.pets.cats: Traditional Siamese Breed-FAQ Laura Gilbreath Cat Information 0 October 29th 04 05:23 AM
Cat predation studies Alison Cat health & behaviour 48 February 5th 04 03:17 AM
American Idol guy & Cats PawsForThought Cat health & behaviour 445 December 1st 03 06:47 PM