Channeling Carroll O'Connor

Old September 8th 04, 03:31 PM
Singh

Default Channeling Carroll O'Connor

Or maybe I should say Archie Bunker...

For those outside the US or Canada unfamiliar with classic American TV,
Archie Bunker is a sort of iconic character from a show called "All In
The Family" (based on the UK's "Til Death Do Us Part") which in this
country was a groundbreaker in dealing with racial, economic and
generational issues. Archie was a loudmouthed, unschooled middle-class
worker with conservative values and ethnic prejudices, ironically played
by a liberal, intelligent and openhearted fellow, the late Carroll
O'Connor. One of Archie's trademarks was "HIS chair," which was
sacrosanct and even his own beloved daughter was not allowed to park her
little tuchus therein.

Stosh is becoming Archie.

We have this nice, comfortable office chair which was given us by a
friend, and we were planning on bringing up to the computer. And then
Stosh decided it was HIS. He'll throw a tantrum of anyone else in the
house, cat or not, sits in it. He'll break into a running fit and knock
stuff over, muttering vulgarities. Last time I tried to park it, I got a
nip in the ankle to let me know my place. I could hear him saying
impatiently, "Geddoutta my CHAIR!!!" in that drawn-out, Noo Yawk accent
so delightfully portrayed by the late Carroll. Boxing matches have taken
place over possession of The Chair in the past few weeks, with Stosh the
clear winner.

My husband is scared witless of taking it upstairs.

Blessed be,
Baha

Old September 8th 04, 03:39 PM
Karen

"Singh" wrote in message
[...]

I wouldn't touch. Uh - uh. No sirree. Leave it there.

Old September 8th 04, 04:13 PM
jmcquown

Singh wrote:
Or maybe I should say Archie Bunker...

For those outside the US or Canada unfamiliar with classic American
TV, Archie Bunker is a sort of iconic character from a show called
"All In The Family"

One of the things I remember about growing up was this. When I left this
United States in 1969 there was no television show anything like "All In the
Family". Prime time when we went overseas was more like "Bewitched" or "I
Dream of Jeannie" LOL Come back without watching television for two years
to a real shocker. Archie Bunker in "All In the Family". "Sanford and
Son." "M*A*S*H." Totally unheard of, unthought of television in the States
when we left. In two years. I remember feeling sort of shell-shocked,
myself.

(based on the UK's "Til Death Do Us Part") which
in this country was a groundbreaker in dealing with racial, economic
and generational issues. Archie was a loudmouthed, unschooled
middle-class worker with conservative values and ethnic prejudices,
ironically played by a liberal, intelligent and openhearted fellow,
the late Carroll O'Connor. One of Archie's trademarks was "HIS
chair," which was sacrosanct and even his own beloved daughter was
not allowed to park her little tuchus therein.

Stosh is becoming Archie.

Persia has *her* chair in my office here. There aren't other cats in the
house but don't you DARE move that chair.

Jill

Old September 8th 04, 05:53 PM
Margaret Fine

Singh wrote:
[...]

Maybe some day the Smithsonian Institute will come calling for Stosh's
chair. :-) Archie and Edith Bunker's chairs are now on display at the
National Museum of American History in Washington, DC. Since we moved
to DC we noticed that there are two requests that all of our guests have
made when asked what they'd like to see in this great city. Almost to a
person it has been "I want to go to the Air and Space Museum and then
see Archie Bunker's chair!"

Margaret

--
Margaret Fine