Peeing inappropriately!

Old November 19th 03, 04:51 PM
PawsForThought

Oh, and one more thing, Jeannie:

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=ut...e=UTF-8&selm=0
1be62d9%2498f3eaa0%248d3cb08e%40pavilion&rnum=4

It took me exactly 10 seconds to find this. There are more stories just
like this one.

How sad
________

Old November 19th 03, 05:18 PM
Annie Wxill

"Alison Perera" wrote in message
.... So how often does a urinary tract infection threaten the life of a cat,
and by what mechanism? The only means I can think of is some kind of
sepsis from bacterial overgrowth, or translation of the infection to the
kidneys.
Haven't heard much about this happening.
-Alison in OH

I believe that the problem is that the bladder can burst if the blockage is
complete. I don't know how a person at home with a UTI cat could accurately
predict when the infection would progress to that exact moment when the
bladder would burst and the cat would die a terrible death. Or even if it
would progress to that point or not. So, without taking that cat to the vet,
that person will be risking the cat's life.
So just how often does that happen: what is the risk, you ask. Well, I don't
know how often, but you can be sure that when it does happen, it matters a
lot to the cat who is the unlucky statistic.
But, even if a urinary tract infection is not at the point of being life
threatening, it certainly can affect the cat's ability or willingness to use
the litter box, which is the original problem under discussion here.
Although I sympathize with the person, in my personal opinion, inconvenience
to the owner is not the main point. More important, the cat will suffer
needlessly and could die if the UTI is not detected and treated, the sooner
the better.
However, let's forget for a moment about the poor misbehaving cat and focus
on the owner.
Taking the cat to the vet at the first sign of a UTI has benefits to the
owner. Some are listed here.
If a UTI is discovered, it can be treated with much less expense sooner than
later.
If a UTI is the cause and is not treated, other approaches to the problem
will not work and the owner will continue to be inconvenienced.
If the UTI is not the problem, the owner can focus on behavior modification.
Taking the cat to the vet does not prevent the owner from looking for
environmental causes and solutions, which have been listed time and time
again on this and other newsgroups.
Annie