Cat Disappears in Florida....

Old April 24th 04, 03:23 AM
Jeanne Hedge

Default Cat Disappears in Florida....

.....and reappears in California. Seven years later.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/n...l=chi-news-hed

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...GC767J0C13.DTL

(the 1st link is a wire-service report, the 2nd link has a small photo
and additional background info)

The gist of the above articles is that a stray cat was turned in to
San Francisco's Department of Animal Care and Control. They scanned
the cat, found a chip, and discovered that the cat belonged to a woman
in Bradenton, Florida - 3000 miles away.

The cat, a black short-hair named Cheyenne, was adopted by a woman in
Bradenton in 1997. A few months later she (Cheyenne) disappeared. The
woman hung fliers and ran ads, but had no luck in finding her cat.
Until she got a call from her local shelter earlier this month...

Cheyenne is in very good condition. Authorities think that a former
neighbor probably decided to keep Cheyenne for themselves, then moved
to SF. No one has contacted Animal Control claiming to be Cheyenne's
owner, but the microship provides legal identification of her true
owner in Florida, wh retains legal rights. Interestingly enough, the
shelter Cheyenne was adopted from was one of the first in Florida to
microchip its animals.

They're currently trying to find a way to get Cheyenne, who is now 10
years old, back home. Animal Control can't afford to ship her to
Florida, so workers there have been looking for a volunteer traveller
to carry her on a plane trip with them.

SF Animal Control's website is at
http://www.sfgov.org/site/acc_index.asp

There's a link to information about Cheyenne there.

They've also got a link to Cheyenne's Bradenton animal shelter:
http://www.bishop-spca.org/

Jeanne Hedge, as directed by Natasha

http://www.jhedge.com
Old April 24th 04, 10:39 AM

Jeanne Hedge wrote:

(the 1st link is a wire-service report, the 2nd link has a small photo
and additional background info)

She's an adorable kitty - what a cute face.

They're currently trying to find a way to get Cheyenne, who is now 10
years old, back home. Animal Control can't afford to ship her to
Florida, so workers there have been looking for a volunteer traveller
to carry her on a plane trip with them.

Gee, too bad this didn't happen about three weeks ago! I live in the Bay
Area and I flew to Florida in early April. I would have been more than
happy to take the little cutie with me.

Joyce
Old April 24th 04, 10:39 AM

Jeanne Hedge wrote:

(the 1st link is a wire-service report, the 2nd link has a small photo
and additional background info)

She's an adorable kitty - what a cute face.

They're currently trying to find a way to get Cheyenne, who is now 10
years old, back home. Animal Control can't afford to ship her to
Florida, so workers there have been looking for a volunteer traveller
to carry her on a plane trip with them.

Gee, too bad this didn't happen about three weeks ago! I live in the Bay
Area and I flew to Florida in early April. I would have been more than
happy to take the little cutie with me.

Joyce

Cat Lost in Florida.... Jeanne Hedge Cat anecdotes 8 April 24th 04 06:51 PM
Florida (OT) badwilson Cat anecdotes 6 January 28th 04 03:03 PM
HOLIDAY WISHES TO ALL from South Florida, USA Hopitus2 Cat anecdotes 2 December 25th 03 07:49 PM
FLORIDA: STATE OF SHAME - VERY LONG Hopitus2 Cat anecdotes 2 November 15th 03 04:47 AM