biting electrical cords

Old October 16th 03, 01:09 AM
Brett Berrie

Default biting electrical cords

My cat, Trouble, who is 4 years old is still very much like a kitten...I
guess that is due to my own playfulness with her.

One issue I have and that is that she bites my electrical cords - teething
like - she actually bit through my AC adaptor for my new laptop ;-(

What can I do to stop this behavior?

I'd appreciate any and all suggestions.

Old October 16th 03, 03:45 AM
Adam

What can I do to stop this behavior?

You can also run the wires through tubing or covers she can't chew
through.

Or simply run the wires through some kind of tubing that is too big to fit
in her mouth. A piece of garden hose, slit lengthwise, will work, or
RadioShack has "split tubing" designed to bundle wires together.

Adam
--
email: rubin AT bestweb DOT net

Old October 16th 03, 06:16 AM
John Biltz

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 19:45:51 -0700, Adam wrote
(in message ):

What can I do to stop this behavior?

You can also run the wires through tubing or covers she can't chew
through.

Or simply run the wires through some kind of tubing that is too big to fit
in her mouth. A piece of garden hose, slit lengthwise, will work, or
RadioShack has "split tubing" designed to bundle wires together.

Adam

Don't get it at Radio Shack, its a lot cheaper at a home improvement
place. I have it on my lap top, helps keep from tripping on the cords as
well as bundling them neatly. I would get that for the lap top. For
other cords I would go to a pet store and get some bitter apple and put
that on the cord. Honestly, your laptop is the most likely target. The
cords are dangly and the power cord coming into the laptop is small and
it is near you which means it is probably out in plain sight where the
cat is likely to be. He may even be trying to play with you.

Old October 16th 03, 02:29 PM
Bern

G'day,

Check if the fuse box of the house/unit has an earth leakage detector
(also known as a safety switch). This detects slight shorts to earth and
cuts the power so even if Trouble bites thru a live cord she shouldn't get a
nasty shock (I'm not an electrician but this is what I recall when I got
mine put in) .

It cost me a couple of hundred $A to have one installed at the house
power board. Well worth it since I use electric mowers etc.

Best of luck with the other treaatments suggested.

.. Cheers
Bern

"Cheryl Perkins" wrote in message
Brett Berrie wrote:
My cat, Trouble, who is 4 years old is still very much like a kitten...I
guess that is due to my own playfulness with her.

One issue I have and that is that she bites my electrical cords -

teething
like - she actually bit through my AC adaptor for my new laptop ;-(

What can I do to stop this behavior?

I'd appreciate any and all suggestions.

You can buy products in pet stores that can be rubbed on cords and have a
bitter taste. I don't know what products would be in your area; I vaguely
remember one called something like bitter orange or bitter apple.