OT - deeeeelish!

Old September 7th 03, 08:43 PM
wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX

Default OT - deeeeelish!

Out for my bike ride this morning, I noticed a hedgerow *bursting* with ripe
blackberries. Nathan & I went back there this afternoon and picked loads.
Nathan has never gone blackberry picking in the hedgerows before :-)

We are now devouring a wild blackberry oaty crumble.

It is *wonderful* and Nathan now understands the joy of picking fruits in the
wild :-)

Cheers, helen s

~~~~~~~~~~
This is sent from a redundant email
Mail sent to it is dumped
My correct one can be gleaned from
h*$el***$$n*$d$ot$**s**i$$m*$m$**on**$s$@*$$a**$*o l*$*.*$$c$om*$
by getting rid of the overdependence on money and fame
~~~~~~~~~~
Old September 7th 03, 09:50 PM
Brenda Watkins

"wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX" wrote in message
Out for my bike ride this morning, I noticed a hedgerow *bursting* with

ripe
blackberries. Nathan & I went back there this afternoon and picked loads.
Nathan has never gone blackberry picking in the hedgerows before :-)

We are now devouring a wild blackberry oaty crumble.

It is *wonderful* and Nathan now understands the joy of picking fruits in

the
wild :-)

Cheers, helen s

~~~~~~~~~~
This is sent from a redundant email
Mail sent to it is dumped
My correct one can be gleaned from
h*$el***$$n*$d$ot$**s**i$$m*$m$**on**$s$@*$$a**$*o l*$*.*$$c$om*$
by getting rid of the overdependence on money and fame
~~~~~~~~~~

mmmmmmmmmmm! have some for me!
Brenda

Old September 7th 03, 10:23 PM
Victor M. Martinez

wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX wrote:
It is *wonderful* and Nathan now understands the joy of picking fruits in the
wild :-)

It's just wonderful that you have fruits growing wild where you live! The
closest thing we have are prickly pears, which are good, but not as good as
blackberries.

--
Victor M. Martinez

http://www.che.utexas.edu/~martiv

Old September 7th 03, 10:27 PM
Cathi

In message ,
wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX writes
Out for my bike ride this morning, I noticed a hedgerow *bursting* with ripe
blackberries. Nathan & I went back there this afternoon and picked loads.
Nathan has never gone blackberry picking in the hedgerows before :-)

We are now devouring a wild blackberry oaty crumble.

It is *wonderful* and Nathan now understands the joy of picking fruits in the
wild :-)

Ah, the joys of blackberrying ..... we have a batch of home-made
blackberry wine on the go here, plus enough in the freezer to do another
gallon when we get back from the States. Should be fantastic come
Christmas 2004.

And we had blackberry ice cream this afternoon. Yum.
--
Cathi

Who went sloe-picking last weekend too
Old September 8th 03, 05:15 AM
Sherry

It's just wonderful that you have fruits growing wild where you live! The
closest thing we have are prickly pears, which are good, but not as good as
blackberries.

Victor, what's a prickly pear?

Sherry
Old September 8th 03, 05:30 AM
Marina

"Victor M. Martinez" wrote in

It's just wonderful that you have fruits growing wild where you live! The
closest thing we have are prickly pears, which are good, but not as good

as
blackberries.

It is nice, though I'm not much of a picker. On the island, we have wild
blueberries, bilberries, raspberries, cloudberries and rose hips. Oh, and a
patch of wild strawberries decided to settle just outside our house a couple
of summers ago. My sister and our Mum usually pick a lot of berries and
freeze them for the winter, and then I can get some, too. ) The wild
berries are much smaller than the cultivated ones, but they taste so much
more. Yummy!

--
Marina

Old September 8th 03, 07:07 AM
Yowie

"Marina" wrote in message

"Victor M. Martinez" wrote in

It's just wonderful that you have fruits growing wild where you live!

The
closest thing we have are prickly pears, which are good, but not as good

as
blackberries.

It is nice, though I'm not much of a picker. On the island, we have wild
blueberries, bilberries, raspberries, cloudberries and rose hips. Oh, and

patch of wild strawberries decided to settle just outside our house a

couple
of summers ago. My sister and our Mum usually pick a lot of berries and
freeze them for the winter, and then I can get some, too. ) The wild
berries are much smaller than the cultivated ones, but they taste so much
more. Yummy!

What our cloudberries? And Bilberries sound like the very cute rabbit-like
marsupial of Australia, the Bilby.

When I was younger, Dad took my sister & I up to the forest reserve. While
the blackberries didn't grow in the forest, they'd grow arund the edges and
the trails. We used to come home scratched and bitten and rather stained,
but with lots and lots of delicious blackberries, which got made into
various forms of fruity things and delight of delight, blackberry jam.
Unfortunatley they are considered a great pest here and the council
regularly sprays the bushes now, so you can't go picking (and since you
can't tell a sprayed bush from one thats OK, *all* bushes are off limits
just to be safe). But boy I miss my mother's homemade blackberry jam - made
so thick you had to slice it out of the jar!

Ah, childhood memories...

Yowie

Old September 8th 03, 02:48 PM
Victor M. Martinez

Sherry wrote:
Victor, what's a prickly pear?

Just to add to the previously posted info (thanks!), there are several kinds of
prickly pears. There are two common ones that are eaten in Mexico (it might
be the same species with mature and immature fruits, I'm not sure): red and
green ones. I prefer the green ones for some reason. They sell them during
season in Mexico in carts, some sprinkle chili powder and salt in them, I
prefer them plain. You have to be careful handling them because they are
full of tiny little spines that will get intro your skin and never leave!
Now that I think about it, it's been years since I ate one. Sometimes they
sell them here, but they don't look nearly as fresh as the ones back home,
plus they're expensive!

Old September 8th 03, 04:38 PM
David Yehudah

Polar bears are easy to catch. You just cut a hole in the ice and
sprinkle some canned peas around it. When the bear comes up to take a
pea, you kick him in the ice hole. :-)

Marina wrote:
"Yowie" wrote

What our cloudberries? And Bilberries sound like the very cute rabbit-like
marsupial of Australia, the Bilby.

Cloudberries look like golden raspberries. They are a speciality of Lapland,
but we get them here in southern Finland, too. They mostly grow in marshy
places. The taste... I don't know how to describe the taste. It is unique, I
think.

Bilberries (actually bog bilberries - doesn't sound very delicious) look
like waxed over bluberries. They don't have a very strong taste uncooked,
but if you make a cordial out of them, it has a very mild, strange taste. I
don't love it but I'm not averse to drinking a glass now and then.

And of course you have to look out for the Polar Bears when you go picking
blueberries, as it is one of its favourite snacks. You can always tell when
a Polar Bear has been eating blueberries, because it is purple around the
mouth. ;o)

--
Marina

Old September 8th 03, 06:19 PM
Seanette Blaylock

"Yowie" had some very interesting things to
say about OT - deeeeelish!:

What our cloudberries? And Bilberries sound like the very cute rabbit-like
marsupial of Australia, the Bilby.

They sound more like hobbits to me. [gd&r]

--
Seanette Blaylock
"You attribute perfect rationality to the whole of humanity, which has