Bloody diarrhea, antidepressants

Old January 14th 04, 07:50 PM
pooka

Default Bloody diarrhea, antidepressants

Hello,
Thanks everyone for the helpful tips in all of the posts. I hope you can offer some to me. My cat is about 13 years old, a female indoor cat. Until about 5 years ago she traveled by plane about once per year-- we used sedation and she was small enough to carry on in a carrier. She has always been a nervous cat. We also moved twice during the past two years, and the two kids of the household left home for school and marriage.
During the past two years, my cat has been pooping/eliminating outside of her litter box, in the living room near the piano (played by one of the kids). Sometimes the poop has blood in it. One time it was a small pool of blood. The vet took x-rays and examined the cat while she was sedated, but found nothing wrong. We tried to change her foods, in case she was allergic to a certain food or brand, but it did not work. We found that after the vet gives her a cortizone shot she is better, but it does not last long. A few months ago, the vet determined that she has Irritable Bowel Syndrome and that she should be treated like a human-- with antidepressants that will help her relax and then have normal bowel movements. He said that it is actually common to prescribe these meds to cats, and that we would need to experiment with different doses and brands. We started a tiny dose of prozac, and it worked for a few months. But the bloody poops appeared at the piano again. We increased the dosage, to no avail. Now, she cries when she goes to the bathroom, and she is leaving bloody poops by the piano.
Anyone else heard of this type of behavior? We would assume it was psychological, perhaps from changing houses or the kids leaving, but that does not explain the blood. Anyone else using antidepressants to curb similar behavior? Or seeing blood in their cat's stool without explanation?
I should add that we trust and respect our vet, he has been treating her all her life, including her declaw and spaying operations, and also treated other cats in our neighborhood.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Old January 14th 04, 09:26 PM

A few months ago, the vet determined
that she has Irritable Bowel Syndrome
and that she should be treated like a
human-- with antidepressants that will
help her relax and then have normal
bowel movements. He said that it is
actually common to prescribe these meds
to cats, and that we would need to
experiment with different doses and
brands. We started a tiny dose of
prozac, and it worked for a few months.
But the bloody poops appeared at the
piano again. We increased the dosage, to
no avail. Now, she cries when she goes
to the bathroom, and she is leaving
bloody poops by the piano. Anyone else
heard of this type of behavior? =A0 We
would assume it was psychological,
perhaps from changing houses or the kids
leaving, but that does not explain the
blood. Anyone else using antidepressants
to curb similar behavior? Or seeing
blood in their cat's stool without
explanation? I should add that we trust
and respect our vet, he has been
treating her all her life, including her
declaw and spaying operations, and also
treated other cats in our neighborhood.
Thanks in advance for any help.
---

Did your vet explain to you about what you were doing to your cat when
you declawed her?
As much as you may think you like and trust your vet, your vet is IMO
guilty of malpractice by giving your cat *behavioral* drugs for a
condition that requires finding the proper diet (NO dry food, and canned
only for starters), and has caused your cat to suffer unnecessarily.
Your best bet is to join the following group and start doing some
research. You can also ask if anyone on the IBD list is in your area and
get a recommendation for a vet that will treat your cat *properly.*

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

Old January 26th 04, 10:46 PM
Shaggin

When i was around 12 - 16 i had irritatable bowl syndrome. The doctor never
tried putting me on anti depressents to get rid of it but i dont know
wheather it would have worked or not. The doctor put me on levson a like
nerve relaxer and all it did was make my stomach so relaxed that i threw up
so i had to learn to live with the condition. Im 20 now and its gone i dont
have trouble with it anymore. Not sure whats wrong with your cat sorry just
thought i would share my experience in case it might help.