Bloody paw

Old December 30th 06, 04:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Corey Kaye

Default Bloody paw

I came home this evening to find Celia running around terrified with a
plastic grocery bag around her middle. No clue where she picked it
up--I try to bring home paper bags and toss any plastic bags I do get.

After I was finally able to catch her, I noticed she'd peed on herself
When I was rinsing her off, there was quite a bit of red in the
water. Upon closer inspection, she's worn her claws on one hind foot to
nubs and has dried blood on the foot.

I'll call the vet in the AM (he has Saturday hours) but this doesn't
seem to warrant an emergency call. Is there anything I can do to make
her more comfortable tonight? Should I set her up with something other
than the clumping litter I usually use?

Poor kitty

Corey
Old December 30th 06, 04:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Outsider

Corey Kaye wrote in
:

I came home this evening to find Celia running around terrified with a
plastic grocery bag around her middle. No clue where she picked it
up--I try to bring home paper bags and toss any plastic bags I do get.

After I was finally able to catch her, I noticed she'd peed on herself
When I was rinsing her off, there was quite a bit of red in the
water. Upon closer inspection, she's worn her claws on one hind foot to
nubs and has dried blood on the foot.

I'll call the vet in the AM (he has Saturday hours) but this doesn't
seem to warrant an emergency call. Is there anything I can do to make
her more comfortable tonight? Should I set her up with something other
than the clumping litter I usually use?

Poor kitty

Corey

Does she go outside?
Old December 30th 06, 04:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Corey Kaye

Outsider wrote:

Does she go outside?

Oh no. Not at all. My kitties are STRICTLY indoor.

I've got Celia in a bathroom with clean, never-been-used, world's best
litter, fresh water, fresh dry food and fresh wet food. I was able to
talk her into eating a bit of the wet. She's pretty freaked out, and
seems body-sore. Her hind foot has little bloody stumps instead of claws

Corey
Old December 30th 06, 05:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

on Sat, 30 Dec 2006 03:46:38 GMT, Corey Kaye
wrote:

I've got Celia in a bathroom with clean, never-been-used, world's best
litter, fresh water, fresh dry food and fresh wet food. I was able to
talk her into eating a bit of the wet. She's pretty freaked out, and
seems body-sore. Her hind foot has little bloody stumps instead of
claws

Sounds like your kitty got stuck in the bag and hurt herself trying to
get out. How awful for her! Patience and love and a visit to the vet in
the morning will probably be all you can do, or need to do. Also, just a
warning, she will likely be TERRIFIED of the sight and sound of plastic
bags from now on. I had a little manx who once got stuck in a plastic
grocery bag, but fortunately I was there and got him out immediately.
For the rest of his 21 years, he was so terrified of those things or
anything that sounded similar that I started requesting paper bags at the
grocery store just to alleviate his stress.

Now Levi LOVES to jump in them when I bring home groceries. I watch him
very carefully and pull him out at the first sign he might have even a
remote chance of getting stuck. It was amazing how briefly my manx,
Calvin was stuck yet how utterly terrified he was at the time and ever
after.

--
Lynne

Old December 30th 06, 05:33 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Corey Kaye

Lynne wrote:

[...]

Celia seems to be doing okay, I guess. She has her little place in the
linen closet, and comes out looking for pets when I go into that
bathroom, and full of head butts and purrs.

Her toes are still bleeding a bit--there are some pink smears on the
shelf--but she's really acting like her normal self.

I checked my vet's website, and they're closed tomorrow (holiday hours).
I suppose I'll evaluate in the AM...I certainly have lots of ER
options if need be.

I think I may be more upset than she is, now that the bag is gone. I
just feel so sorry for her!

Corey
Old December 30th 06, 05:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Lynne

on Sat, 30 Dec 2006 04:33:46 GMT, Corey Kaye
wrote:

Celia seems to be doing okay, I guess. She has her little place in
the linen closet, and comes out looking for pets when I go into that
bathroom, and full of head butts and purrs.

Her toes are still bleeding a bit--there are some pink smears on the
shelf--but she's really acting like her normal self.

I checked my vet's website, and they're closed tomorrow (holiday
hours).
I suppose I'll evaluate in the AM...I certainly have lots of ER
options if need be.

I think I may be more upset than she is, now that the bag is gone. I
just feel so sorry for her!

I do, too! Honestly, unless the bleeding doesn't stop, I think she'll
be fine for the next few days at least. Of course if it doesn't stop,
take her in tomorrow morning (or sooner). You should take her in to be
looked at for signs of infection on Tuesday, though. Especially since
she'll be scratching around in her litter box with her injured paw.
Speaking of her litter box, I would suggest keeping it as immaculate as
possible while her wounds heal. I'd suggest wrapping her foot, but IME
it's impossible keeping a bandage (or even a cast) on a cat's leg or
paw.

I hope you both feel better soon!!
--
Lynne

Old December 30th 06, 06:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Corey Kaye

Lynne wrote:

I do, too! Honestly, unless the bleeding doesn't stop, I think she'll
be fine for the next few days at least. Of course if it doesn't stop,
take her in tomorrow morning (or sooner). You should take her in to be
looked at for signs of infection on Tuesday, though. Especially since
she'll be scratching around in her litter box with her injured paw.
Speaking of her litter box, I would suggest keeping it as immaculate as
possible while her wounds heal. I'd suggest wrapping her foot, but IME
it's impossible keeping a bandage (or even a cast) on a cat's leg or
paw.

I hope you both feel better soon!!

She has super clean litter in a super clean box, and I don't work on the
weekends, so I'll be able to keep her box VERY clean.

I remember (YEARS and YEARS ago) the vet I worked for recommended strips
of newspaper in the boxes of the cats we did declaws on. I don't
subscribe to anything, but I may go pick up a couple papers
tomorrow...is that still the recommended "litter" for kitties with sore
paws?

Corey
Old December 30th 06, 06:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
mlbriggs

On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 22:02:32 -0700, Corey Kaye wrote:

Lynne wrote:

[...]

I was going to recommend newspaper, but you beat me to it. Purrs that the
foot will heal properly without infection. MLB

Old December 30th 06, 09:53 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

"Corey Kaye" wrote in message
Outsider wrote:

Does she go outside?

Oh no. Not at all. My kitties are STRICTLY indoor.

I've got Celia in a bathroom with clean, never-been-used, world's best
litter, fresh water, fresh dry food and fresh wet food. I was able to
talk her into eating a bit of the wet. She's pretty freaked out, and
seems body-sore. Her hind foot has little bloody stumps instead of claws

You might want to use shredded paper in the litter box. WBCL is good stuff-
but its still granules that can irritate her paws.

Old December 30th 06, 09:57 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

"Phil P." wrote in message

"Corey Kaye" wrote in message
Outsider wrote:

Does she go outside?

Oh no. Not at all. My kitties are STRICTLY indoor.

I've got Celia in a bathroom with clean, never-been-used, world's best
litter, fresh water, fresh dry food and fresh wet food. I was able to
talk her into eating a bit of the wet. She's pretty freaked out, and
seems body-sore. Her hind foot has little bloody stumps instead of

claws

You might want to use shredded paper in the litter box. WBCL is good

stuff-
but its still granules that can irritate her paws.

I forgot to add- use shredded plain white (copy/printer) paper- not
newspaper or magazines as long as she open wounds.