Vet Tech Journals: Good and Bad News

Old July 16th 09, 05:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Mischief[_2_]

Default Vet Tech Journals: Good and Bad News

So I managed to get a new job, that's the good news, I got the call
the last week of june and they wanted me to start on July 6th.

Problem is that somewhere in that week between when I was hired and
when I started I did something to my back.

I've been dealing with a stiff back for the last few years. I've
blamed my mattress to me sleeping funky. But this time it was
different.

I started getting back spasms, and slight difficulty standing/getting
up/bending. Once I couldn't sleep at all. Off to the doctor last
week.

Doctor gave me muscle relaxers and told me to take it easy, and gave
me a note saying to restrict my work detail.

I told my manager and she flipped. "Why didn't you disclose this when
I interviewed you?" My answer was simple, I didn't HAVE this problem
during the interview. I offered the note, but she was more concerned
about my ability to do my job. I told her I would do the best I
could.

I managed to get through the rest of last week and this monday.
Spasms would occasionally come but i would get through it. Being on
my feet all day didn't help. But the spasms came back this morning
and I called in to take another day off (I had yesterday off)

The manager is ****ed again and so am I. She not only wants a doctors
note but also certification saying that I am fit to do the job she
hired me for. She's gonna email me the full 'job description' for the
doctor.

This really ticks me off. I'm sure part of the reason for my back is
being on my feet all day, and that I'm overweight. But financially I
can't lose this job. Part of me wants to just grit my teeth and bear
it but then I could REALLy mess up my back. I just had my 31st
birthday and I don't want to really screw my back.

I made an appt for the doctor this afternoon, and hopefully I can get
better drugs or something so I can DO my job. If I lose this job, I'm
totally screwed and will have to really do drastic changes.

Worst case scenario is that I find a smaller apartment for me and my
three cats and put the majority of my stuff in storage. I have a
credit line I can dip into only once, but if I do then I will have
nothing left, so if I have to move I won't be able to put down a
deposit. I need to get some sort of income really soon.

My settlement from my accident is STILL in the process and is going so
slow I can't wait for it.

ugh.....

Kristi
Old July 16th 09, 05:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
LadyJane

On Jul 16, 12:18*pm, Mischief wrote:
[...]

Kristi,

See if you can get to Physical Therapy. I pulled a muscle in my
back once, and PT saved my life. I'm *very* large,complete with
big belly, and no less than FOUR therapists said that if I do my
exercises, my back should never hurt again. And they're right.
I keep my muscles strong and they hold the rest of me up.
There's no blaming the weight. Even thin people hurt their
backs, y'know. It's just too easy to blame the weight because
it's right out there to be blamed, but that's just silly. Your
muscles need training, that's all.

Jane
Old July 16th 09, 08:54 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

On Jul 16, 11:24*am, LadyJane wrote:
It's just too easy to blame the weight because
it's right out there to be blamed, but that's just silly. *Your
muscles need training, that's all.

Jane- Hide quoted text -

I disagree and see this type of excuse usually come from obese people
(I was one.) Weight *is* part of the problem and to deny it is to
continue to suffer. I know, as I spent many years overweight and
suffering from back and knee problems. I can blame the multiple car
accidents I've been in (none of which was my fault) but the extra
weight I was carrying was what was causing most of the pain. One can
live their life in denial and make excuses for their lack of self-
control (which I did myself) or they can take responsiility for their
physical condition and do something about it (which I eventually
did.) Once I decided to start taking better care of myself and changed
my eating habits with the goal of weight loss and better health (South
Beach Diet rocks!!!) the weight came off and a lot of the pain went
away. I would suggest Kristi seriously consider putting her health
first and make whatever changes are necessary so she can lose the
weight and live more comfortably. Getting healthy is the most
important step to being able to take care of your family and your
financial obligations.
Old July 16th 09, 09:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

Mischief wrote:
[...]

Purrs for your back and your job.
Cats leave pawprints on your heart

Old July 16th 09, 09:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

wrote:

On Jul 16, 11:24?am, LadyJane wrote:

It's just too easy to blame the weight because
it's right out there to be blamed, but that's just silly. ?Your
muscles need training, that's all.

I disagree and see this type of excuse usually come from obese people
(I was one.) Weight *is* part of the problem and to deny it is to
continue to suffer. I know, as I spent many years overweight and
suffering from back and knee problems. I can blame the multiple car
accidents I've been in (none of which was my fault) but the extra
weight I was carrying was what was causing most of the pain. One can
live their life in denial and make excuses for their lack of self-
control (which I did myself) or they can take responsiility for their
physical condition and do something about it (which I eventually
did.)

Hey trips,

Even the New England Journal of Medicine has concluded that 95-98%
of weight-loss efforts fail. Their definition of "fail" is "gains all
the lost weight back, or more, within 5 years". Furthermore, most
doctors and researchers will agree that yo-yo dieting (ie, repeated
cycles of weight gains and losses) is extremely unhealthy for the
body. In fact, constant yo-yoing causes all the health problems
commonly blamed on "obesity": high blood pressure, type II diabetes,
heart disease. It's a very bad thing to do. So if you're going to
lose weight, you'd better be prepared for very stringent eating habits,
where you will most likely always be hungry, FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE.

I don't know about you, but I'm not willing to commit to being hungry
for the rest of my life. Some people have to live that way bacause of
extreme poverty or famine, but only the fear of disapproval and social
rejection would cause an otherwise sane person to actually volunteer
for it.

(I know someone who actually brags that he/she is hungry all the time
because s/he only eats two meals a day. Sounds real healthy. But hey,
they still get to wear the clothes they wore in high school! Hmm...
let's see, what are the choices: hefts left hand up and down: Miserable,
bitchy, headachy, light-headed 24/7/365... hefts right hand up and down
Can no longer wear dorky, outdated high school clothes... tough choice
there!)

It's not about "gluttony" vs. "self-control". It's about biology. And
it's *not* a moral issue. It just isn't.

--
Joyce ^..^

Old July 16th 09, 09:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Mischief" wrote in message
Doctor gave me muscle relaxers and told me to take it easy, and gave
me a note saying to restrict my work detail.

I told my manager and she flipped. "Why didn't you disclose this when
I interviewed you?" My answer was simple, I didn't HAVE this problem
during the interview. I offered the note, but she was more concerned
about my ability to do my job. I told her I would do the best I
could.

(snippage)

They aren't allowed to ask you about medical conditions during a job
interview and you are not required to disclose any. There is, of course,
the understanding you are able to do the job you are interviewing for.
(e.g. if you apply for work in a warehouse you'd better be able to lift
boxes.) But as you said, you didn't have this problem when you interviewed.
What were you supposed to do, guess approximately when your back might
bother you again?

Jill

Old July 16th 09, 09:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Mischief[_2_]

On Jul 16, 1:46*pm, "jmcquown" wrote:
"Mischief" wrote in message

[...]

It also has NEVER been this bad. I've dealt with it just fine. But
when it hurts after walking or standing for a period of time, or I
can't go to sleep because of back pain/spasms, that's totally
different.

the above symptoms started occuring the week after I accepted the
position and BEFORE i even started. and it was because of the new job
that I decided to get it checked right away.

I don't know what I did to cause this, and so far for the few days
I've been working, it hasn't affected me that much. I just deal with
the pain and do my job and if i need to I ask for help.

But its still bothering me, and I feel its not getting better. My
manager has a business to run and wants written verification that I
can do my job. And if my doctor declares that I can't work, then I
most likely will lose the job.

Which means I'm screwed.

So I need to go get my back evaluated again and see what the doctor
says, and try to at least convince her to maybe give me something to
lessen the pain/spasms so I can work.

And yes in the meanwhile, I'm trying to exercise to lose weight. But
it is difficult to exercise when your back hurts. I've been focusing
on strengthening my core.

Time to head out to the doctor, hopefully I will find out more.

Kristi
Old July 16th 09, 10:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

wrote:
[...]

You certainly are judgmental! Unless Kristi has gained an AWFUL lot of
weight since I met her a few years ago, she's a long, long way from
being "obese". (And if she WERE, there's a lot more involved than mere
"self control" - ask any recovering alcoholic, or someone trying to quit
smoking!) ...And unlike alcohol or cigarettes, one cannot simply stop
consuming food. If you are one of the fortunate few who succeeded in
restructuring your lifetime eating habits, be glad, but don't assume
it's that easy for everyone.

FYI, if mere "physical therapy" were all that was required, a great many
of the folks living in my "retirement residence" would be walking
without canes or walkers or wheelchairs. If it was all YOU needed to
solve your problem, be grateful - but don't judge everyone's situation
by your own!
Old July 16th 09, 10:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[...]

I couldn't agree more! Most people who have been alcoholics don't ever
consider themselves "cured", however long they've been "dry". They
refer to themselves as "recovering", because they know that they're only
one drink away from resuming their old habits. (And that's only with
alcohol - or tobacco, or drugs - how much harder if food is your
addiction, because everyone has to EAT to survive.)
Old July 16th 09, 10:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Winnie

"Mischief" wrote in message

[...]

Kristi- Hide quoted text -

It is hard to do core strengthening exercise when your back is
hurting.
A physiotherapist can recommend the approriate exercises for your
condition.
I was also once prescribed muscle relaxant. But instead I went for a
massage and that really relax my muscles. Have been going for regular
massages since then.
A physiotherapist can also give you ultrasound massage.
Acupunture and chiropracitc therapy should also help. But I have no
personal
experience in them with regard to back pain.

Winnie