Adopting a feral - 2 month update - and a question

Old May 18th 04, 07:55 AM
HUDAV847

Default Adopting a feral - 2 month update - and a question

My cat's pads don't feel oily, but he sure does leave some sort of residue that
is actually quite difficult to get off the tables and such.
Old May 18th 04, 07:55 AM
HUDAV847

Old May 18th 04, 12:33 PM
Karen Chuplis

in article , Nomen Nescio at
] wrote on 5/18/04 1:10 AM:

First...My thanks to everyone who has offered advice, support, and
encouragement.

T.K. is well on his way to becoming a spoiled, pampered, and very loved house
cat.
He made it through his neutering just fine although a minor surface infection
at the
incision required antibiotics for a couple of weeks. He seems to be quite
happy, now,
being an indoor kitty. He still likes to look out the windows, but has not
tried to climb
them in ages. As I'm writing this, he just came walking into my den and I
currently
have a "lap kitty" helping me with the typing. What a sweetheart!
He's 2 months into his rabies quarantine and is still doing fine. A few more
months
and we can relax.
He still plays very rough when he gets excited, but a quick blow to the face
(as in
air passing between the lips) lets him know that the nips are getting a little
hard
and he stops immediately. We're slowly reaching an understanding as to what is
permissable and what isn't. He's finally putting on a little weight and is
nearly at the
11 lbs. that the vet suggested as the ideal weight.
The little guy has been a joy to have around, although he has taken a lot of
time and
attention and patience to begin to domesticate. Some things have been
irritating, some
have been funny as hell. Last week he got his first taste of "people" tuna. We
gave him
a small piece which he devoured, followed by another piece. Then the rest went
into a
couple of sandwiches as he watched, hoping for some more. A minute later he
was at
his water dish, sticking his paw through 2 - 3 inches of water, pawing at the
bottom of
the dish. My wife saw it first and asked, "what the hell is he doing?" I
looked over and
watched for a few moments and started laughing. "He's fishing", I said, "that
must
have been really good tuna"!
There's still a bit of "wild" left in that cat.
Anyway, I had a question that I wanted to ask. Our little guy has the most
moist paws,
I have ever seen. Actually, I think they are more oily than wet. He leaves
thick, smeared
paw prints all over the place. His paws actually feel wet to the touch. All
four paws,
although the front paws are more oily than the back. He's a very oily cat and
his fur has
a beautiful shine to it. But what's the story with the paws? Is this a male
cat thing?
Something genetic? And I have to ask if this could be a symptom of some health
problem. Am I just showing my ignorance of male cat characteristics?

Thanks again for all past, and any future, information and thoughts that you
may
offer.

Someone else here once posted about a cat with really "oily" paws. I don't
know that it is that common. It might just be genetic off thing (like sweaty
hands. Real overproductive glands.). I would write a Veterinary college and
ask about it.

Karen