Unsettling news about Onyx...

Old October 20th 08, 01:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Cory[_5_]

Default Unsettling news about Onyx...

I will state up front that the ONLY reason I am writing this post is so
that Onyx's kittyfriends are not caught COMPLETELY off-guard, should
things worsen in the coming months, but having said that, I truly do NOT
anticipate them to...

Onyx has had trouble in the last year maintaining his weight. He has
seen TED about this, and TED has not seemed overly concerned. Onyx IS,
after all, FOURTEEN... TODAY, as a matter of fact (UB ~ Happee Purrday
tu mineownself, Happee Purrday tu mineownself, Happee Purrday tu
MEEEE... [Onyx, that's enough, bub])!!! He's just not a young cat
anymore, and TED seems to think that his age has a LOT to do with his
struggles to maintain his weight.

I want to stress that Onyx is NOT... I repeat NOT *losing* weight, but
his Grandpaw mentioned to me on the "fonetawkfingy" tonight that Onyx
has started demanding Fancy Feetz FOUR OR FIVE times a night (I duzzint
unnerstand wy Grandpaw'z maykin' dis owt tu be such a bigbigbig deel...
I'z HUNGREE inna middul uf da nite!!! Whut'z rong wif dat???!!) from
the sleeping humans. Thus, IMNSHO, theoretically, at least, Onyx SHOULD
be gaining weight.

He's not, and that's the bottom line.

He's active... maybe a LITTLE more tired than he usually is, but given
that he IS 14, that doesn't concern me, and he IS eating. AAMOF, that's
part of the problem. He seems to be ALWAYS hungry and ALWAYS eating,
but if you saw him, you wouldn't know it by his current weight. He's
NOT showing any outward signs of illness, either. *I* am beginning to
suspect a metabolic problem that has, as of now, gone undetected, and
since I'm not TED, I don't know, if indeed he DOES have a metabolic
problem, if it will ever be detected. MY understanding about human
metabolic disorders is that they are sometimes hard to detect and/or
diagnose, and if my thinking is right WRT humans, I'm guessing that the
same could also be true for kitties.

If you have any words of wisdom you would like to share, PLEASE feel
free. I am also strongly considering at this point posting a note in
r.p.c.h+b, because those wonderful folks over there REALLY DO know their
stuff when it comes all of our cats' health and well-being.

The family isn't "worried" right now. I don't think we have any cause
to be "worried" just yet. Besides, my entire family, including myself,
is of the opinion that if one of our kitties has a serious illness, that
it would be better for them if we let nature take its course and help
them to the RB when the time is right, rather than subject them to this,
that and the other thing, especially if it would only prolong life for
3-6 months with very little hope of resolution OR comfort to our
kitties. It's a balancing act, is what I'm saying, between resolving a
problem that CAN be resolved with intervention from TED and knowing when
to let nature just take its course (this is what my folks basically did
with Holly, FTR... she was on prednisone for a while for reasons I don't
completely understand, and for a while it worked, but at a certain
point, Holly began to tell her Meowmie and Daddy that it was getting to
be time to just let go and let Bast decide the right course for Holly).

So... that's where we are at right now with Onyx. Like I said, I just
wanted to give you a heads-up, just in case he suddenly takes some sort
of a nosedive and would need to be helped to the RB unexpectedly.

Fangu for listening, furkids. I now return you to your regularly
scheduled meowchat. :-)

--- Unca Cory
Old October 20th 08, 01:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Mosey =^..^=[_3_] Mosey =^..^=[_3_] is offline
Banned

Happee Purrday Onyx and healthy Purrs for yew tew keep feeling better.
Thank you Uncle Cory for sharing this with us.
Onyx is in our purrayers
Luvs
Mosey and Tabitha and Mosey's Meowmie Kyla

"Cory"

Old October 20th 08, 01:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Samuel Redcat Mahoney

Fangu for listening, furkids. I now return you to your regularly
scheduled meowchat. :-)

--- Unca Cory

Fangu fur tellin us bout dis, Unka Vory. Onyx, we'z all gonna be purrin
dat youz nice an healthy and happy fur a long time to come.

Sammy
Old October 20th 08, 01:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
MLB

Cory wrote:
[...]

Has he had a thyroid test?MLB
Old October 20th 08, 01:57 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Eileen Clark

Very sorry to hear this. However, all our hyperthyroid cats started out
like this. Two were well stabilized by medication, one by radioiodine.
The medication can be compounded as a gel and rubbed into the ear once a
day. Our angel-bunny princess, Pandora, looked forward to her ear
massage each night. Worth a thyroid test.

Meowmie Eileen

Old October 20th 08, 03:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
The Ajo Clowder

On Oct 19, 5:00*pm, Cory wrote:
[...]

Furst, Happee Purrrrday!
Haf sum pouncies Onyx
/ / \/ / / \/
/ \/ / \
/ \ \

Sekund, weze gonna purr dat yew haf gudgud helf fur meny yeerz.

Thurd, weze gonna sey Meow tu Unka Cory. Meow, Unca Cory!

Ralph, Fred, Alice, Jane, Ricky, Mary, and Judith
Old October 20th 08, 04:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Mme. Anaïs ^..^[_4_]

On Sun, 19 Oct 2008 19:00:44 -0500, Cory's nimble, little paws typed:

Purrs to Onyx....
--
Purrs,

Mme. Anaïs

little, the cats become its visible soul.â€
Jean Cocteau, 1889-1963

10/19/2008 11:03:34 PM
Old October 20th 08, 06:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Sylvia M[_5_]

Purrs ofcourse!
and naively, could it be a tapeworm?
....take a fecal sample with you, next visit?

Sylvia

g...

Old October 20th 08, 11:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Fred[_2_]

Yeah, purrz frum usses tuu. We'z concerned byt not worried. Mostly
beclaws Onyx is such a well known and well loved kitty in da group.
Sew ennyfing dat might affect hisownself is a concern, but like you
we gnoes dat it mite just bee a stage he's goin throo.
Anti-Silvia iz smart. Da tapewerm fingy might be worth checkin out,
but we duzn't gnoe fur sure.

Cinnamon, Ryan & Diana.

Sylvia M wrote:

Purrs ofcourse!
and naively, could it be a tapeworm?
...take a fecal sample with you, next visit?

Sylvia

"Cory" wrote in message
g...
[...]

Peace,
Fred
(Remove FFFf from my email address to reply by email).

Onyx: Kitty vs. the Vet Susan Zeigler Cat anecdotes 4 April 17th 08 07:52 PM
Purrz fur Onyx... Cory Cat community 22 June 1st 07 06:22 AM
Onyx: All That Glitters Susan Zeigler Cat anecdotes 5 April 15th 07 07:45 PM
Onyx: Up on a Roof Susan Zeigler Cat anecdotes 14 April 14th 05 09:35 AM
Onyx: A Mouse a Day Susan Zeigler Cat anecdotes 12 April 13th 04 05:30 AM