Food translation?

Old October 20th 07, 05:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
PatM

Default Food translation?

On Oct 18, 12:02 pm, wrote:
On Oct 18, 11:19 am, "jmcquown" wrote:

I can't believe anyone would disagree that it is the best dining in
the US. Have any of you ever been to Arnaud's or Brennan's or
Antoine's or Broussard's? These are rated by food critics as the top
restaurants in the country! And any mom and pop restaurant there can
serve better food than most "five star" restaurants anywhere else!

CatNipped-

My dh was chef at Court of Two Sisters before he went on to be
executive chef at The Fairmont in Denver, but we went back to NO when
we could. The food and the atmosphere were definitely tied in
together-and we loved both. Our one negative experience was with
Antoine's, which was so disappointing as I was a big Francis Parkinson
Keyes fan back then. We were seated badly and our waiter was rude to
the point of snotty. All in all, good memories of those years though.

PatM

Old October 20th 07, 07:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

This is the same recipe my grandma used, It makes about a gallon. Now,
don't have a cow, she made it to last all through the pie bakeing season. I
found it again on google and it is from the same year, 1910, and probably
same book. I just don't have to retype everything.

a.. 3 cups golden raisins
b.. 3 cups raisins
c.. 3 cups currants
d.. 2 1/2 pounds Granny Smith apples
e.. 1 pound beef, cooked and minced
f.. 3/4 cup citron
g.. 1 1/2 tablespoons cinnamon
h.. 1/2 teaspoon mace
i.. 2 teaspoons grated nutmeg
j.. 3 cups brown sugar, packed
k.. 2 teaspoons salt
l.. 1 quart apple cider
m.. 1/2 pound beef suet, minced
n.. 1/2 cup brandy

METHOD

Roughly chop the dried fruit.

Peel, core and chop apples into half inch dice.

Put all ingredients, except for brandy, into a 8 quart pot. Mix
well, and bring to a simmer. Cook, uncovered, until apples are soft,
stirring frequently. When softened, cook for 30 minutes, partially covered.
Season with brandy.

Pack into sterilized jars. Distribute freely in neighborhood,
wishing everyone a happy holiday.

Yield: About 1 gallon or enough for about 10 pies.

I haven't made any for more years than I like to remember, but there
was definitely meat in it. As I recall I think there was meat,
chopped apples, raisins, apple cider and spices.

Actually, that sounds really good. I like sweet-savory combinations,
but I've never had this particular combo - I should try it.

I also meant to say, could someone post a recipe?

Thanks,
Joyce

Old October 20th 07, 01:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

wrote:
On Oct 18, 11:19 am, "jmcquown" wrote:
CatNipped wrote:
"Yowie" wrote in message

One day I'm going to *have* to do a culinary tour of the USA,
although no matter what, I am *not* sucking the yellow muck out of
crawdad heads!.

Then be *sure* to go through New Orleans - best cooking in the US
(and, I think, even better than French cooking since we have the
spicy "Cajun" cuisine thrown in). But you don't know what you're
missing if you refuse to suck the heads! ;

Hugs,

CatNipped

Yowie

Sorry, Lori. Dated a Cajun for 8 years and New Orleans food way
overrated. They put more hot than taste into it. (I do love boudin,
though.)

On the French side the beignets are nice. But then again so are my
Scottish grandmothers' scones served with clotted cream.

So sorry about Hurricane Katrina. But the be all, end all of
cooking is not Lousiana.

Jill- Hide quoted text -

Dating a Cajun is *NOT* the same as fine dining in New Orleans.

I can't believe anyone would disagree that it is the best dining in
the US. Have any of you ever been to Arnaud's or Brennan's or
Antoine's or Broussard's? These are rated by food critics as the top
restaurants in the country! And any mom and pop restaurant there can
serve better food than most "five star" restaurants anywhere else!

Hugs,

CatNipped

I've done a lot of travelling. Have to say the worst food is in Southern
California, unless you like Mexican cuisine, then you can find some really
great stuff! I was not impressed by anything in New Orleans. Ridiculously
overpriced and generally over-spiced to play to the tourists.

Ray was a hell of a good Cajun cook but he wasn't from New Orleans. He was
born and raised on Pecan Island (teeny tiny place LOL). Most of his
remaining family was in Bay St. Louis, Mississippi. It's where Katrina made
landfall. Frankly, I have no idea if he's still alive. He was always doing
reckless things like rushing into a hurricane to offer his skills as a
carpenter.

I've had some of the best (and surprising!) food in small-town diners.
There's a little place in Highland, Illinois called 'Buzzie's (again)'. I
was served the most spectacular bacon, spinach and brie omelet there. The
coffee was spectacular (I don't do au lait, give it to me straight) and they
didn't feel the need to put chickory in it. LOL Shall we agree to disagree?

Jill

Old October 20th 07, 02:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Victor Martinez

PatM wrote:
together-and we loved both. Our one negative experience was with
Antoine's, which was so disappointing as I was a big Francis Parkinson
Keyes fan back then. We were seated badly and our waiter was rude to
the point of snotty. All in all, good memories of those years though.

We also had a so-so experience at Antoine's. There are better old-school
french restaurants in the US, including here in Austin.
That said, we had fabulous meals in NOLA, including at Mother's,
Napoleon House and Emeril's.
Austin has an unusually high number of great restaurants, for a city
this size, so we're very spoiled. I really want to go back to NOLA, but
I'm afraid I'll be heartbroken when I go. I lived one year there, during
college, a time that I'll always remember with fondness.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old October 20th 07, 03:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Suz

CatNipped wrote:
"Yowie" wrote in message

[...]

CatNipped- Hide quoted text -

OK how about a foodfight by US regions ;o) Here in New England we have
excellent seafood prepared simply. The joy of a loster roll or New
England Clam Chowder are hard to beat.
Suz&Spicey- Hide quoted text -

Yum! Sounds wonderful, especially when you're landlocked like us!
I think what you said "prepared simply" is the key thing to good food.
I don't like most "gourmet" food and wouldn't take the time to prepare
it. It's
wonderful to try new things (my Cajun friend introduced me to "Dirty
Rice",
I'd never heard of it and love it)
But all in all, I like food prepared simply with very little "messing"
with
it, the best. Especially seafood.
Traditional food for us is basically southern cooking. This is a big
beef state.
I don't touch beef or fried things anymore, so that really limits me
in most
"home cooking cafe" type restaurants!

Sherry- Hide quoted text -

You could make a decent clam chowder using canned clams and bottled
clam juice. Even in Michigan where I was raised my Dad made a good
chowder. Lobster is more available here, but not cheap. My local
grocery store has small lobster rolls in the summer (deli 5.99 for 2).
In the winter, fohget about it. Note accent ) You r's go funny
hehre.

Suz&Spicey

Old October 20th 07, 03:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Suz

On Oct 19, 1:47?pm, "Matthew" wrote:
"jofirey" wrote in message

"Matthew" wrote in message
.. .
It is know different than sweet breads. Cow tongue is pretty descent if
done right

Add in venison and you will have a list of things I like, but I can either
prepare them or enjoy them. Not both.

Jo

Oh I love venison there is a local deer farm nearby that once in a while I
get a order. I buy some from hunters during season here. I do a awesome
venison stew

I will eat almost anything at least once. My exceptions is that if it looks
at me such as an eyeball, something still alive when prepared except for
seafood. A animal that is considered a pet. If it is still moving when
served

I have tried insects and many other items considered exotic. grasshoppers
are excellent fried nice and crispy. haven't tried cockroaches yet but
don't ever play to either.

Gator? I haven't tried it even though I've been to Florida several
times. When I go to Florida I do have grouper (type of fish), you
can't get decent grouper up here.
Suz&Spicey

Old October 20th 07, 05:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
William Hamblen

On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 16:05:20 +1000, "Yowie"
wrote:

Granby - well, I've found out recently that biscuits in gravy is not the
same as cookies in gravy and that what you call 'biscuit' I'd probably call
'damper' so whilst 'biscuits in gravy' still sounds very weird to me, its
not as weird as I first thought (what I call a 'biscuit' you'd call a
'cookie'). So, how does one make 'biscuits in gravy'?

Biscuits are made from flour, milk, butter, baking powder. Pour gravy
made from sausage over the biscuits and listen to your arteries harden
while you eat.

Bud
--
The night is just the shadow of the Earth.

Translation Yowie Cat anecdotes 16 December 1st 05 04:05 AM
Can our Finnish friends help me with a translation? Gabey8 Cat anecdotes 5 July 15th 05 11:59 AM
Cat Translation Dictionary Richard Miller Cat anecdotes 0 May 12th 05 06:38 PM
Translation - cat to hoomin Shirley Cat anecdotes 2 February 20th 05 07:58 PM
Food translation Yowie Cat anecdotes 0 November 22nd 04 05:26 AM