(OT) Do Not Call Registry Violator

Old August 26th 08, 12:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl P.[_2_]

Default (OT) Do Not Call Registry Violator

Christine K wrote:
Marina kirjoitti:
Christine K wrote:
There are windows in bathrooms here, almost as often as not... In
apartments the bathrooms seldom line up to the outer wall of the
building, but when they do, there's often a little window there. And
in the row-house I lived in before moving here, there was a window
both in the bathroom and the separate toilet. Here, there's a window
in the sauna, but not in the bathroom, as it isn't on the outer wall
like the sauna is.

Really? I've lived in many different places - both apartments and
houses - and never had a window in the bathroom. Neither does any of
my family and I don't remember seeing windows in friends' bathrooms,
either. The only place we have a window is the outhouse on the island.

There's no window in the outhouse in our cottage in Sweden (Jämtland),
but when one sits there, one usually leaves the door open and admires
the view... hopefully no moose or bear decides to join in...

And I did mentally go through the places I've lived in, and out of seven
there were only windows in two - the previous rowhouse and this sauna
(both built in the 80s I think...).

It can't entirely be a cold-weather thing, because a lot of houses in
Canada have bathroom windows. Modern houses will often have one in the
main bath, and have a second bath or half bath with none. Older houses
often have the window directly over the bathtub, which is probably why
some of them may have been removed during renovations to put in the
newer one-piece surrounds, as someone else mentioned. I always suspected
that in some old houses, the bathroom was built in the smallest bedroom,
which would of course have a window. In the case of my house, I think
they just walled off the end of a hall - hence, no window (but a fan and
vent). Unlike houses, almost all apartments I've been in have no window
in the bathroom. They don't have saunas, though!

Cheryl
Old August 26th 08, 07:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"Christine K" wrote in message
Marina kirjoitti:
Christine K wrote:
[...]

I'm guessing that bathroom windows depend on climate, economics and
aesthetics. In colder climates there would be good reason to avoid
running pipes through outside walls or even inside walls too close to
the outside. In many buildings they will try to save on plumbing
costs by having kitchens and or baths back to back so they can share
plumbing lines. And from an esthetic point of view bathroom windows
aren't easy to make look good from outside while providing privacy.
Particularly on apartment buildings and condos.

I see that a lot of the newer houses have far fewer and smaller
windows than ours does. Saves both energy and construction costs.
And the lots are so small, no one has much of a view anyway. And
windows would have to be closed and covered to provide any privacy.

Jo

Old August 27th 08, 03:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Nan

Marina kirjoitti:
Christine K wrote:
[...]

Both of my bathrooms have large windows (they were both bedrooms when
the house was built in 1932). This house was built with no indoor
plumbinb and electricity hadn't come to this area yet. Electricity
didn't come until around 1948.

Hugs and purrs,

Nan and the furkids
Old August 27th 08, 06:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Nan

Marina kirjoitti:
Christine K wrote:
[...]

Ooops! that should have been plumbing.
Hugs and purrs,

Nan and the furkids
Old September 11th 08, 12:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

Adrian wrote:
Lesley wrote:
On Aug 17, 3:15 pm, "EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)"
wrote:
Ummm..... Not to nit-pick, but I suspect you mean the Pachabel
"Canon" which is quite popular for such occasions. (Bach had nothing
to do with it - although the composer is more or less from the same
period.)

Well that;s what my brother called it- over here part of it used to be
used as an advert for "Hamlet" cigars, which one of my brothers smokes
and it came on just as they were bringing the coffin in and I looked
at him and mouthed "You dare!"

Dave knows my choice of funeral music

Coming in anything by Frank Zappa that;s instrumental

As the coffin goes behind the curtain the middle part of Marillion's
"Forgotten Sons"- anyone who knows the song will know the bit I mean-
it's suitably dramatic

And at the end Warren Zevon's "Keep me in your heart for a while"

My family are all under firm instructions that if they play anything
soppy, sentimental and above all not rock I will come back and haunt
them

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

The Hamlet advert used, Bach: Air on the G String. I still think of that
advert everytime I hear it.

I want "Don't Fear The Reaper" by Blue Oyster Cult, something
Quintessentially 80s (If I've died via an accident, make it "Safety
Dance", but Duran Duran or Soft Cell are also good) and "Don't Worry,
Be Happy". If there's time or a place for more songs, it has to be
trashy 80's hair music, and absolutely nothing sad or maudlin. They can
play Pachabel's Canon if they have to, but it has to have a heavy metal
beat and be on guitar. If whoever has to make it religious, then the
only religious songs I want played are Black Gospel Choir ones with lots
of clapping and Hallelejas. Anyone who gets sad and maudlin gets slimed.

Celebrate my life, dammit. I enjoyed it, please enjoy it too.

Yowie
Old September 11th 08, 02:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

wrote:
[...]

Yowie- Hide quoted text -

Write this down for someone. Or better yet, collect the music also,
and store it with
the rest of your wishes. (I'm all about making things as easy as
posssible for the family)
It's ironic that five days after I posted on this discussion I was
sitting in the funeral home
making purchases and decisions with my sister for Dad.

I went to a funeral once where at the closing, at graveside just
before everyone left, a lone
violinist played "Brahm's Lullaby". I thought that was beautiful.
Dad had everything as "in order" as could possibly be, and it's still
a difficult task just to
execute a will, go through probate, get all the bills paid, and just
get the house cleaned out.
I can't imagine how difficult it would all be if the decedent hadn't
done any preparations.
I guess we all manage to muddle through, though.
Old September 12th 08, 12:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_4_]

"Sherry" wrote in message

I went to a funeral once where at the closing, at graveside just
before everyone left, a lone
violinist played "Brahm's Lullaby". I thought that was beautiful.
Dad had everything as "in order" as could possibly be, and it's still
a difficult task just to
execute a will, go through probate, get all the bills paid, and just
get the house cleaned out.
I can't imagine how difficult it would all be if the decedent hadn't
done any preparations.
I guess we all manage to muddle through, though.

+++++++++++++++++++++++

{{{{{{{{SHERRY}}}}}}}}

Old September 13th 08, 02:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Yowie wrote:

I want "Don't Fear The Reaper" by Blue Oyster Cult, something
Quintessentially 80s (If I've died via an accident, make it "Safety
Dance", but Duran Duran or Soft Cell are also good) and "Don't Worry,
Be Happy". If there's time or a place for more songs, it has to be
trashy 80's hair music, and absolutely nothing sad or maudlin. They can
play Pachabel's Canon if they have to, but it has to have a heavy metal
beat and be on guitar. If whoever has to make it religious, then the
only religious songs I want played are Black Gospel Choir ones with lots
of clapping and Hallelejas. Anyone who gets sad and maudlin gets slimed.

Celebrate my life, dammit. I enjoyed it, please enjoy it too.

I want people to come to my memorial and do whatever it is they need
to do with their grief. (Or maybe with their relief that I'm gone, who
knows? ) If people want to tell funny Joyce stories and laugh their
asses off, that's great. If someone's feeling really bereaved and needs
to sob their heart out, what better place than a funeral?? As long as
they get lots of hugs.

I've never understood why some people don't allow crying at funerals.
I'm not directing this at you, Yowie, because you just want people to have
fun remembering you, which is reasonable. But I had a friend, years ago,
who told me that when she was 13, her little 6-year-old cousin died of
leukemia, and she was devastated and couldn't stop crying. Her parents
told her very sternly that if she couldn't hold it together, she couldn't
come to his funeral. She couldn't (she was a child herself), so they
didn't let her go. I think that's incredibly cruel. And it sure had me
scratching my head when she told me about it. I mean, it's not like they
expected her to laugh and celebrate. It was going to be a very formal
and solemn affair, with no emotional expression allowed, which would
have been considered "disrespectful". I'm sorry, I think that's weird
and kind of twisted.

Anyway, back to my own funeral/memorial. There are some things that I
would like folks to do for me. (I don't think it's so unreasonable to
ask people to do something for me at my funeral - funerals might be for
the living, but I'm still living now, and there are some ways I'd like
to be remembered.) What I'd really like is for people to sit around in
someone's living room or some other very comfy place, eating yummy food
prepared by or obtained by people who are not deeply grieving, and sing
songs and other stuff I've written. If there are no musically inclined
people in that group, maybe they could play a tape or CD of my songs/
words. (I don't have a professional CD, but I could make a homemade one.
Naturally, I would need to do this prior to death. )

Why do I want this? I want to be remembered as a creative person. And
I think that my writing expresses who I am better than anything else.

In addition, if people were feeling up to it, maybe they could make a
"quilt square" for me, as has been done for people who died of AIDS. I
have lots of artsy/craftsy types as friends, so this might not be asking
too much, I don't think. Could be a fun group project to do. I just want
to be memorialized in an informal, comfortable and creative way. And if
someone wants to add their tears or their laughs, fine by me.

--
Joyce ^..^

Old September 13th 08, 03:10 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_4_]

"hopitus" wrote in message
On Sep 12, 7:12 pm, wrote:
Yowie wrote:

[...]

test here, we have a printing test going on now testing this line
of print for newsgroup satisfactory transmission for the insulted
eyes of fussy viewers who complain re same already. Know this
by earmark spending its all over the network online. Stop. Period.

Now I think it isn't breaking for paragraphs. And some caps are missing.

Old September 13th 08, 04:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_4_]

"hopitus" wrote in message
On Sep 12, 8:10 pm, "Cheryl" wrote:
"hopitus" wrote in message

On Sep 12, 7:12 pm, wrote:

Yowie wrote:

[...]

And this is where in "netiquette"?

I WAS KIDDING!

The Call Marina Cat anecdotes 12 January 2nd 06 03:44 AM
Does your cat come when you call it? John Doe Cat health & behaviour 21 November 16th 05 11:54 AM
National Emergency Animal Registry teckpam Cats - misc 0 October 19th 05 04:27 AM
National Emergency Animal Registry teckpam Cat community 0 October 19th 05 04:27 AM
What do you call?? Karen Chuplis Cat anecdotes 22 April 4th 04 04:57 AM