question on teeth cleaning

Old April 15th 06, 02:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Default question on teeth cleaning

My cat has severe gingivitis and needs a cleaning and possible
extractions.

My current vet has given me an outrageously high price quote: $450 for
a cleaning and $650 if he needs extractions. I would like to get his
teeth cleaned first to see if that helps but I can't do that at these
prices.

I'd like to go to someone else. I don't know anyone from whom to get a
referral but there are lots of vets in my area.

Would I be fairly safe to pick anyone? Is this a risky procedure? My
cat is otherwise in very good health.

I live in Lowell, MA in case anyone out there lives nearby.

Thanks

Old April 15th 06, 04:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

That price sounds reasonable. Even just a cleaning may involve anesthetic
and definitely the extractions will.

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,

Old April 15th 06, 09:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

I guess that's the question. How do I know a vet is reputable? I have
some friends with cats but they never had anything more than shots.

Old April 16th 06, 01:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

wrote:
-

brush your teeth
round and round
circle small
gums and all
do the charleston
you'll get your teeth healthy the round about way
do your part to help stop tooth decay

round and round

yeah.. round and round

Old April 19th 06, 02:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Well I called four local vets. All prices were higher than the one I
got from the original place.

I knew I lived in an area where health costs were the highest in the
country but I didn't know it pertained to animals too!