Grief Natural When Pets Depart a interesting article

Old August 1st 07, 05:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew

Default Grief Natural When Pets Depart a interesting article

http://www.local6.com/family/13755246/detail.html

Old August 1st 07, 05:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Daniel Mahoney

On Wed, 01 Aug 2007 12:04:08 -0400, Matthew wrote:

http://www.local6.com/family/13755246/detail.html

I'm very happy that the story included a link to the Rainbow Bridge page.

Old August 1st 07, 07:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

"Matthew" wrote in message
http://www.local6.com/family/13755246/detail.html

Aw damn, Matthew, that made me cry at my desk at work, but the article was
worth it. It's just that Bandit's loss is still way too fresh in my heart!

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old August 1st 07, 08:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

Matthew wrote:
http://www.local6.com/family/13755246/detail.html

Excellent article. I especially appreciated this sentence:

"While getting a new pet right away might seem like a good way to ease your
pain, you should avoid the temptation."

While this may work for some people, I just couldn't face it after my dog
Samspon went to the RB. I had so many people, including my apartment
manager, saying things to me like, "Just get another dog." People who don't
have pets don't understand it's simply not that easy. It's not like
replacing a broken toy or worn out towels. The suggestion that I do so was
very upsetting to me.

Jill

Old August 1st 07, 09:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Outsider

"jmcquown" wrote in
:

Matthew wrote:
http://www.local6.com/family/13755246/detail.html

Excellent article. I especially appreciated this sentence:

"While getting a new pet right away might seem like a good way to ease
your pain, you should avoid the temptation."

While this may work for some people, I just couldn't face it after my
dog Samspon went to the RB. I had so many people, including my
apartment manager, saying things to me like, "Just get another dog."
People who don't have pets don't understand it's simply not that easy.
It's not like replacing a broken toy or worn out towels. The
suggestion that I do so was very upsetting to me.

Jill

After I lost Topper (male cat) about 11 years ago I went to the North
Shore Animal League and started looking around and had to leave. Seeing
all those dogs and cats without a human was too much for me after loosing
my pal of 15 years. A few weeks later I went back and faired much
better. I took Zak home and now he is gone also. It was much too short
a visit. I still don't know what I will do but I am considering after I
fix up the "junk" room I will look for a pair of kittens but to be honest
I am just not sure yet. Every pet I have lost has been hard on me and I
am not ashamed to admit it.

Andy

Old August 1st 07, 10:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Daniel Mahoney

After I lost Topper (male cat) about 11 years ago I went to the North
Shore Animal League and started looking around and had to leave. Seeing
all those dogs and cats without a human was too much for me after loosing
my pal of 15 years. A few weeks later I went back and faired much
better. I took Zak home and now he is gone also. It was much too short
a visit. I still don't know what I will do but I am considering after I
fix up the "junk" room I will look for a pair of kittens but to be honest
I am just not sure yet. Every pet I have lost has been hard on me and I
am not ashamed to admit it.

Andy

You shouldn't be. I suspect all of us here have experienced the same
thing, and it's ALWAYS hard. That's the price we pay for having such
wonderful critters in our lives.

Old August 2nd 07, 03:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
sam

Matthew wrote:
http://www.local6.com/family/13755246/detail.html

Great link, Matthew. Thanks for sharing.

Sam, closely supervised by Mistletoe
Old August 6th 07, 01:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin - bogus address

http://www.local6.com/family/13755246/detail.html
Excellent article. I especially appreciated this sentence:
"While getting a new pet right away might seem like a good
way to ease your pain, you should avoid the temptation."
I had so many people [...] saying things to me like, "Just get
another dog." People who don't have pets don't understand it's
simply not that easy. It's not like replacing a broken toy or
worn out towels. The suggestion that I do so was very upsetting
to me.

A long time ago I read a biography of Bartok (might have been "The
Naked Face of Genius") which described his reaction to his cat dying.
Someone suggested he just get another one, and he reacted just as most
of us would - "no it wouldn't be the same". The biographer described
this a childish tantrum and said it showed how Bartok never really
grew up. My reaction at the time (this was before I even had a cat)
was "if you have so little undertanding of the guy's feelings why on
earth are you even trying to write a biography of him?".