Choice of litter (long)

Old September 10th 09, 07:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Alphonze[_2_]

Default Choice of litter (long)

Ever since Naughty and Kiki arrived I've been using a clay-based cat
litter, made of fine grey granules. It's been okay generally, it
absorbs odours and is easy to scoop, but it has its disadvantages too.
It's not flushable (I'm not allowed cats in my apartment, so I want to
minimise evidence of their existence!), it makes an extraordinary
amount of dust, and Naughty - who has pica - tends to snack on it.

Knowing that the bentonite-type litters are not great for pica-y cats,
I tried changing to Breeders Choice. It's recycled paper nuggets so if
Naughty eats it, it's harmless. It's also flushable and dust-free.
Sounds good, but there's one problem with it. With the old bentonite
stuff, it was totally obvious when some of it had been used. One
scoop... and they tray was clean again. The Breeders Choice litter
doesn't change colour or swell up after it's been peed on. So unless I
stick my hand into they tray and feel for wet patches (eeew!) I have
no idea which bits to scoop out!

At nearly $6 a bag, I'm not going to empty and refill the whole tray
every day - way too wasteful! But the smell coming out of it tells me
that I've not scooped all the pee out.

Am I missing something here? Or is the Breeders Choice litter really
so flawed? Anyone got any suggestions for alternative litter products
that might solve this problem?
Old September 10th 09, 02:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Dan M

Am I missing something here? Or is the Breeders Choice litter really so
flawed? Anyone got any suggestions for alternative litter products that
might solve this problem?

I'm not familiar with that particular litter. For an alternative,
however, I've read glowing reports about using laying mash (that's dried
cracked corn intended for feeding to laying chickens) as cat litter! Yes,
it sounds weird, but it's a lot cheaper than clay litter (typically $10
for 50 pounds) and I wouldn't think it have bad effects if a cat should
eat it.

Take a look at http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=158707
and
http://kelliamanda.wordpress.com/200...feed-crumbles/
Old September 10th 09, 03:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"Kajikit" wrote in message
On Wed, 9 Sep 2009 23:48:09 -0700 (PDT), Alphonze
wrote:

[...]

I tried a paper litter and it STANK! Feline Pine is much better - it's
natural, recycled, odourless until it's all turned to sawdust, and
flushable if you get the standard kind (they also make a clumping
version that I haven't tried because it's not flushable. There is some
dust but not a lot - a quick sweep around the box every few days takes
care of it.
--

The cats who live next door (indoor-outdoor cats) use the pine needles that
fall from the big trees out back as natural litter. So I'd have to say

Jill

Old September 10th 09, 07:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Outsider

Alphonze wrote in news:6a31ae23-e548-4cb8-a5ad-
:

[...]

I use this:

http://www.swheatscoop.com/

It clumps and I scoop out the clumps and the "gifts" and there is no odor
left behind. Beyond the name which I really hate I have been very happy
with it as have my two cats. I don't flush it however.

Old September 10th 09, 07:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"Alphonze" wrote in message
[...]

Only suggestion is one I got from Victor a long time ago. The
litter we are the happiest with is EverClean made by Clorox. It is
initially expensive, but I really think it lasts enough longer to
make up for the cost. I just make sure I buy it when Charlie isn't
with me to compare prices.

I don't have a really great nose, but I do believe it keeps the
litter boxes and the house odor free for a lot longer and with less
maintenance than any other brand we've tried.

At first I didn't like that it comes in a cardboard box, but a
cardboard box is biodegradable and a lot easier to get rid of than a
plastic jug.

I just make sure to get someone at the store help me lift it into
the car.

Jo

Old September 10th 09, 10:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

wrote:

[...]

I really like the silica gel crystals. They absorb an amazing amount of
liquid (and thereby odour) and depending on the amount used and the cats,
err, "output", only need to be replaced once a month or so according to the
packet, but with my lot, I need to change it about every fortnight. It goes
without saying that you do need to remove the solid waste as per usual.

Yowie
--
If you're paddling upstream in a canoe and a wheel falls off, how many
pancakes can you fit in a doghouse? None, icecream doesn't have bones.

Old September 11th 09, 05:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Nan

wrote:

[...]

I tried Feline Pine and Tiger hated it to the point that he peed in my
chair to get his point across. I thought he had a UTI due to the
inappropriate peeing and took him to TED. After I switched back to
Arm & Hammer no more peeing in my chair.
Old September 12th 09, 03:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley[_3_]

On Sep 11, 4:55*pm, hopitus wrote:
.. Now, here's what you need to
know: the one feature the *old* plumbing pipes have way better than my
condo's pipes is that those old ones are much *wider* and are metal in
construction whereas the plumbing pipes in newer, as mine, condos are
the PVC makeup and *notably much narrower*.

We used to have old pipes and probably still do outside the building
and we could flush litter as long as we were careful not to put too
much down at once- 3 flushes per box making sure it was clear after
the last one but now we have new "improved" pipes even clumps have to
be broken up and the trays emptied into rubbish bags. The council are
fine about collecting the bags unless they get holes in them then I
have to go down and put the holed bag in another bag or they won't
collect them. (Not a pleasant chore and, one I need to do this
weekend)

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs
Old September 12th 09, 10:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"hopitus" wrote in message
On Sep 12, 8:22 am, Lesley wrote:
[...]

I am glad you understand what I was saying about the plumbing pipes,
a true example of "they don't make 'em like they used to"! I
carefully
inspect every plastic bag before lining the little tub with it for
holes, if
I see any I just whip it into a bag with no holes. Only because I do
have
to carry it quite a way as we do not have the trash chutes so
popular
in the much older apt. buildings here, but must shlep to the barbage
bins in parking lot, where meeting a coyote is fairly normal. PVC
does
not rust. That's its main attraction AFAIK but I am not a plumber.

***************

PVC is cheap and easy to cut. That's the attraction. Galvanized
pipe lasts really well but is more expensive and harder to work
with.

One of Charlie's jobs around here is dealing with the trash. Mostly
because he finds unbelievable ways to be picky about what goes out,
and how and why.

But he hates and avoids litter box duty unless I'm away or totally
disables. I've tried letting it go since his nose is more sensitive
than mine. No luck. he just buys air fresheners which trigger my
allergies.

But the last thing he does after getting all the trash out to the
curb for the week is to go through the plastic bag collection and
find enough for the litter for the next week and inspect to make
sure that set doesn't have any holes. He puts those where I store
the litter scoop.

Jo

Old September 12th 09, 11:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"hopitus" wrote in message
On Sep 12, 3:08 pm, "Jofirey" wrote:
"hopitus" wrote in message

On Sep 12, 8:22 am, Lesley wrote:

[...]

Do you have coyotes hanging out by your garbage bin? I assume you
live in a house. I have in the other hand from the garbage hand my
trusty golf (biggie) umbrella with which to whack forcibly on the
sidewalk if anything that looks like a dog (coyotes sure do) looks
like it might get too near me. I will be ** ***** if my friends back
in
FL will hear of me being knocked down and done in by a wild canine.
As it is, they would be ROFL if they knew I have to look out for
transient coyotes when I take out the garbage here.

******************

I've seen them crossing the road within a mile of here. Fortunately
our coyotes are well fed and don't see the need to get closer to the
housing. I expect that will change if we tear down too many more
orchards, but maybe then we will no longer be on the outer fringes
of town.

Jo

Newest kitten not covering feces in litter box + long [email protected] Cat health & behaviour 14 October 12th 08 08:57 PM
Litter dust problem (long, but it does have a point) Joy Cat anecdotes 12 February 4th 08 09:24 PM
Litter choice Outsider Cat anecdotes 15 January 24th 08 11:27 PM
4 Female housecats, litter troubles (long) Lepak Nerat Cat health & behaviour 4 August 11th 06 03:37 PM
New litter box or new toy?(long) jemifur Cat anecdotes 9 June 23rd 04 04:37 AM