Ack! Little Boy ran outside

Old December 23rd 13, 07:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Default Ack! Little Boy ran outside

"jmcquown" wrote in message
I think it's possible for a cat to have an anti-rabies shot in the USA.
We
don't need it here.

Of course. And hopefully rabies will never become an issue in the UK.
Everyone I know who has indoor/outdoor cats has them vaccinated against
rabies.

When I was younger, every cat or dog that came into the UK had to stay in
quarantine for 6 months in case it had rabies.So we didn't get it here.
We don't have rabies here because of that

That's a natural and logical precaution to take when people are bringing
their pets from another country. Shot records must be furnished, plus a
period of quarrantine.

Unfortunately this is sometimes why people who are transferred or for
whatever reason move to another country have to find new homes for their
pets. Otherwise they wind up in shelters. The poor pets don't
understand.

Jill
Old December 24th 13, 12:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"jmcquown" wrote in message
I think it's possible for a cat to have an anti-rabies shot in the USA.
We
don't need it here.

Of course. And hopefully rabies will never become an issue in the UK.
Everyone I know who has indoor/outdoor cats has them vaccinated against
rabies.

When I was younger, every cat or dog that came into the UK had to stay in
quarantine for 6 months in case it had rabies.So we didn't get it here.
We don't have rabies here because of that

The other reason, of course, is that your country (countries?) consist of
islands. If you were connected by land to other areas, you might not be so
fortunate.

Joy

Old December 24th 13, 08:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"jmcquown" wrote in message
I think it's possible for a cat to have an anti-rabies shot in the USA.
We
don't need it here.

Of course. And hopefully rabies will never become an issue in the UK.
Everyone I know who has indoor/outdoor cats has them vaccinated against
rabies.

When I was younger, every cat or dog that came into the UK had to stay in
quarantine for 6 months in case it had rabies.So we didn't get it here.
We don't have rabies here because of that

The other reason, of course, is that your country (countries?) consist of
islands. If you were connected by land to other areas, you might not be
so fortunate.

Joy

Yes, that's that probably true, Joy. Anyway we don't have rabies here
because of the six month quarantine we used to have for dogs/cats coming in
from other countries that have endemic rabies. It would show itself within
that time.
Yes, we are an island, and can keep rabies out much more easily than the
USA.

Old December 28th 13, 08:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"Mark Edwards" wrote in message
m...
No cluons were harmed when "Christina Websell"
wrote:
Is it very dangerous outside for him? What could happen? just want

to know
the dangers he faces where you live, to make me glad that Boyfie

doesn't.

Children with BB guns. And pterodactyls.

Hugs and Purrs, Mark

So different here, BB guns are not illegal but most parents don't allow
their child to have one. Haven't seen a pterodactyl recently.
Mainly we don't like our children to have any sort of gun, even "pretend"
ones in case they think it's acceptable.
And no, I'm not going to have a gun debate. We aren't allowed a hand gun
he therefore won't need them. Simple.
Unless a drug baron came to to my home, I would need one then - which is as
likely as my winning the lottery.

Old December 28th 13, 08:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

wrote:
Is it very dangerous outside for him? What could happen? just want

to know
the dangers he faces where you live, to make me glad that Boyfie

doesn't.

Children with BB guns. And pterodactyls.

Hugs and Purrs, Mark

So different here, BB guns are not illegal but most parents don't allow
their child to have one. Haven't seen a pterodactyl recently.
Mainly we don't like our children to have any sort of gun, even "pretend"
ones in case they think it's acceptable.
And no, I'm not going to have a gun debate. We aren't allowed a hand gun
he therefore won't need them. Simple.
Unless a drug baron came to to my home, I would need one then - which is as
likely as my winning the lottery.

(teasing) Is this the same UK Lottery I used to get emails about saying
I've *won*? Gee and wow. Without even entering or buying a ticket or
anything?! LOL

Jill
Old December 28th 13, 09:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"jmcquown" wrote in message
I think it's possible for a cat to have an anti-rabies shot in the USA.
We
don't need it here.

Of course. And hopefully rabies will never become an issue in the UK.
Everyone I know who has indoor/outdoor cats has them vaccinated against
rabies.

When I was younger, every cat or dog that came into the UK had to stay in
quarantine for 6 months in case it had rabies.So we didn't get it here.
We don't have rabies here because of that

The other reason, of course, is that your country (countries?) consist of
islands. If you were connected by land to other areas, you might not be
so fortunate.

Joy

Maybe so but we*are* an island and we have a very strict quarantine law
which means there is no rabies here and never will be.
and don't quote the rabid bat we once got from France.
I think it bit the dust quickly.
We do not have rabies in the UK and never will.
Thanks to the dogs and cats that used to spend 6 months in quarantine to
make sure of that.

Old December 29th 13, 05:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

I think most foreign countries require a period of quarrantine, not just
the UK. But just to be clear, it's mostly wild animals that contract or
carry rabies. I can't think of the last time (if ever) I heard of
someone's pet being infected with rabies.

Pets in the US get vaccinated against against rabies, of course. Persia
doesn't go outside and I don't board her anymore. So a few years ago I
stopped putting her through the aggravation of getting an annual rabies
shot. There's no way she's ever going to come in contact with a rabid
animal.

Jill
Old January 6th 14, 08:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Christina Websell wrote:

Maybe so but we*are* an island and we have a very strict quarantine law
which means there is no rabies here and never will be.
and don't quote the rabid bat we once got from France.
I think it bit the dust quickly.
We do not have rabies in the UK and never will.
Thanks to the dogs and cats that used to spend 6 months in quarantine to
make sure of that.

What worries me is, what happens now that animals don't have to spend 6
months in quarantine. It's much easier on them, for sure, but doesn't that
increase the odds that an infected pet will get into the country?

--
Joyce

- Your mom and I are going to divorce next month.
- What??? Why! Call me please?
- I wrote Disney and this phone changed it. We are going to Disney.
-- damnyouautocorrect.com
Old January 6th 14, 08:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin

Maybe so but we*are* an island and we have a very strict quarantine
law which means there is no rabies here and never will be.
and don't quote the rabid bat we once got from France.

There is more to it than that. A form of the disease is endemic among
bats as far north as Scotland.

I think it bit the dust quickly.

It didn't, but that doesn't seem to be a form of rabies likely to
make an epidemic.

http://www.who-rabies-bulletin.org/a...s_Figures.aspx

We do not have rabies in the UK and never will.
Thanks to the dogs and cats that used to spend 6 months in quarantine
to make sure of that.

what happens now that animals don't have to spend 6 months in
quarantine. It's much easier on them, for sure, but doesn't that
increase the odds that an infected pet will get into the country?

Pets are only exempt from quarantine if they've been immunized. Since
there's much less incentive for a pet owner to avoid immunization than
to avoid quarantine, the chances are that the new regimen will be more
effective than the old one.

Old January 6th 14, 10:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Jack Campin wrote:

I think [the rabid bat] bit the dust quickly.

It didn't, but that doesn't seem to be a form of rabies likely to
make an epidemic.

http://www.who-rabies-bulletin.org/a...s_Figures.aspx

An epidemic would be terrible. But even in the US, where it's pretty rare
for a human, or a human's pets, to get infected, we go to a great deal of
trouble to immunize our pets.

what happens now that animals don't have to spend 6 months in
quarantine. It's much easier on them, for sure, but doesn't that
increase the odds that an infected pet will get into the country?

Pets are only exempt from quarantine if they've been immunized. Since
there's much less incentive for a pet owner to avoid immunization than
to avoid quarantine, the chances are that the new regimen will be more
effective than the old one.

Someone could always fake the necessary documents. Fraud happens everywhere,
but in this case the stakes are pretty high.

--
Joyce

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he
grows up, he'll never be able to merge his car onto a freeway.