Big cats in England

Old April 21st 04, 01:22 PM
MaryL

"dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers" wrote in
message ...
This has to be a hoax.

It's not. There's good evidence to suggest it may well be true.
Pumas and Lynxes are North American critters, never
found in the wild in Britain (or Ireland). I can't believe that any zoo

over
there would be so careless as to lose breeding pairs, either.

Indeed they aren't natives but there was a time, not that long ago, where
private individuals were able to keep such cats. The law was altered which
meant private individuals couldn't - where & how such animals were kept

became
highly regulated (rightly so IMO). As a result, before the law came into
effect, it is beleived that some private owners released their animals

into the
wild rather than the animal be euthanised or end up in someone else's zoo

here
in the UK or abroad.

A lynx was spotted and filmed in someone's front garden in North London

too...

Heck, we've got a few wallabies wild in Norfolk - Vernon has spotted one -

and
there's been photographs now and again.

I don't think there's a lot of big cats out there, I think there's

probably
very few but I have very, very grave reservations about allowing them to

stay
out there.

Cheers, helen s

If correct, I can understand your concern. Animals that are imported and
then released into the wild (either deliberately or unintentionally) often
create more problems than in their native environment because they do not
have natural predators -- for example, rabbits in Australia and nutria in
the United States. In addition, we often read about safety of outdoor cats
in the UK because of the lack of predators, but something like this could
eventually change that composition.

MaryL

Old April 21st 04, 01:29 PM
Victor Martinez

I have very grave doubts about big cats remaining wild in the UK.

Non-native species are always a threat to the local ecosystem. Take for
example the starlings. They came from the UK to this country and now
they're displacing native species.
One could also argue that it's survival of the fittest, but is it when
it's caused by humans?
Good questions to ponder over a pint of ale.

--
Victor Martinez
Send your spam he

Old April 21st 04, 01:40 PM
dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers

In addition, we often read about safety of outdoor cats
in the UK because of the lack of predators, but something like this could
eventually change that composition.

Indeed. Safety is a relative thing, and in reality there is much of the UK
where it's no big problem to allow your cat to be indoor/outdoor. I'd like it
to stay that way.

Cheers, helen s

**$om $

Old April 21st 04, 03:09 PM
Duke of URL

"dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers" wrote in
message ...

This has to be a hoax.

It's not. There's good evidence to suggest it may well be true.

[snip]
Be damned! Amazing - I never would have guessed it.
--
The One-and-only Holy Moses

Old April 21st 04, 03:59 PM
Sherry

Indeed. Safety is a relative thing, and in reality there is much of the UK
where it's no big problem to allow your cat to be indoor/outdoor. I'd like it
to stay that way.

Cheers, helen s

Indeed Helen. I pray that it stays that way over there, too. You are so lucky
that way. UK-ers should all appreciate that, treasure it and protect it. I know
you do! In a perfect world, I wish all cats should go outside, but I know they
can't. . I take great offense at the posts from people who finger-wag at me for
letting them out. The reality of it is, the risks aren't big enough (here) for
them to stay inside. But I've traded a great deal of human convenience to live
here. I love the stories about Waffles' hunting prowess...and I delight in
seeing mine bask on top of the car, scale a tree. Last night Bootsie was on a
fencepost wagging her tail to and fro--she looked just like one of those Felix
clocks! Frank sat on top of a gopher mound for hours. Yoda came out and laid
in the flowers I'd just planted and smashed them flat. (But on second
thought...Biskit stuck her nose out the open window, but that's all of the
outdoors she wants! Maybe *she*'s the smart one, and has figured out the
roamin' life isn't what it's cracked up to be...I'll stay inside,
thankyouverymuch!

Sherry