Update and Name Change

Old April 5th 08, 06:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
CatNipped[_2_]

Default Update and Name Change

Good news first - he tested negative for FIV and FeLV, so he's definitely
now an indoor only pampered cat.

Second, since we're definitely going to keep him (as if that was ever in
doubt), I decided "Garvin" just wouldn't do - too undignified. So we're
going to call him "Hunter" (kinda goes with "Archer" doesn't it?).

He was the PURR-fect gentleman at the clinic - he purred through most of the
exam (except when they had to stick him for blood - at which time he gave a
little hiss). No biting, no scratching - just a little doll. He goes
Thursday for his snip and then back again in three weeks for his next
worming and distemper booster, then back in two months for the final,
definitive FeLV test (in case he was just exposed in the last couple of days
outside - small chance, but possible, so he won't be mingling with the rest
of the clowder until then - which is probably how long it will take to get
him/them used to each other).

He's now in our spare bedroom eating (actually inhaling) a can of Fancy
Feast and purring up a storm. I have some video I'm going to process and
post so you all can hear just how *loud* he purrs. Be back with that after
lunch.

--

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old April 5th 08, 08:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
blkcatgal

Hey Catnipped,
Did they tell you to keep Hunter (I like the name) from the other cats and
then test for FeLV for 2 months? The reason I ask is because I have taken a
stray cat in and she initially tested neg for both FeLV and FIV but my vet
told me to keep her separate from the other cats and retest in 3 months.
It's been almost 2 months now and I don't think the new cat or my resident
cats can hold out much longer. I was going to have her retested at 2 months
and then start the intros. I've gotten so much conflicting info about how
long to keep them separate, I'm interested in what you were told.

S.
---

Old April 5th 08, 08:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
CatNipped[_2_]

"blkcatgal" wrote in message
. ..
Hey Catnipped,
Did they tell you to keep Hunter (I like the name) from the other cats and
then test for FeLV for 2 months? The reason I ask is because I have taken
a stray cat in and she initially tested neg for both FeLV and FIV but my
vet told me to keep her separate from the other cats and retest in 3
months. It's been almost 2 months now and I don't think the new cat or my
resident cats can hold out much longer. I was going to have her retested
at 2 months and then start the intros. I've gotten so much conflicting
info about how long to keep them separate, I'm interested in what you were
told.

I was told the exact same thing. He initially tested negative, but the vet
said if he has been exposed to it in the last couple of days it wouldn't
show up on the test yet. And yes she suggested I keep him separate for 60
days and then have him tested again - she said not even being separeated
with a screen door would prevent infection since it could be spread by him
hissing at our other cats and saliva contacting them through the screen. Of
course the chance of that is low as is the chance that he would have
contracted it in just the last couple of days, but since there is *some*
chance, however slim, I'm not taking the chance of rushing an introduction.
He'll stay behind the solid door for 60 days and then he'll get tested again
and *then* we'll put the door with the cut-out screened section up so they
can see each other and get used to him.

Hugs,

CatNipped

S.