Creature Features for Halloween (OT)

Old October 29th 06, 06:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

Default Creature Features for Halloween (OT)

Remember back in the day before Cable television, when you still had "rabbit
ears" on your television, and Saturday night would creep around to about
midnight? (Maybe this didn't happen in the UK, sorry!)

We called them 'Creature Features'. And they'd replay older, mostly black &
white scary movies (well, back in the late 1960's, early 70's they were
scary... notice they'd only play them at midnight). They'd play them on
Saturday night on television. And if you were young enough you had to ask
your Mom, can I stay up and watch? LOL

If yes, you got to see Vincent Price and some of the older film classics,
aka Edgar Allen Poe - The Pit and the Pendulum, Masque of the Red Death,
like that. If things went further back, some of the old Dracula films, The
Wolfman, The Mummy, The Invisible Man. (I do love black & white films!)

In years after this gave way to films such as 'Halloween', 'Nightmare on Elm
Street' (I have to admit the idea for this one was pretty darned creative)
and so on. Unfortunately they got more and more gruesome and the Creature
Features went the way of the Black Lagoon after the creature with the zipper
up his back gave way to better makeup and more gruesome special effects.

I don't celebrate Halloween (per se) but I sure did enjoy a good Creature
Feature on Saturday nights back in the day. I still enjoy a good spooky
movie, (but not a blood and guts movie which is what the genre has evolved
into).

'Poltergeist' is still on my list of great creepy films. "They're heeeere!"
Steven Spielburg once told how he did some of the effects in that and other
films; he is a film genious. I still get the creeps when I see some parts
of that movie. I just wish the "TV People" would put together my dining
nook set. And they can have my television, but they can't have Persia or
Peaches

The most romantic ghost film: 'The Ghost & Mrs. Muir', starring Rex Harrison
and Gene Tierney. Pass the popcorn and a handkerchief, please.

Jill

Old October 29th 06, 04:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew

Love this time of year. Went to the movies to see the Friday the 13th ,
Halloween, Nightmare on elms street last night they had a triple feature of
the originals in the local theater still can't believe that was Kevin
bacon and Johnny depp getting killed at a young age. I also still can't
believe how many people jumped at the scary scenes

I am going to the Horror film festival 2006 here tonight 8 of the most
gruesome horror film ever made and never could be released to general
audience. Bring on the nightmares

&

Old October 30th 06, 03:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana

On Sun, 29 Oct 2006 01:37:46 -0500, "jmcquown"
yodeled:

Remember back in the day before Cable television, when you still had "rabbit
ears" on your television, and Saturday night would creep around to about
midnight? (Maybe this didn't happen in the UK, sorry!)

We called them 'Creature Features'. And they'd replay older, mostly black &
white scary movies (well, back in the late 1960's, early 70's they were
scary... notice they'd only play them at midnight). They'd play them on
Saturday night on television. And if you were young enough you had to ask
your Mom, can I stay up and watch? LOL

Oooh. We had "Creature Feature" here! And the advertising spot had
spooky music (usually played on a theremin-- the instrument that makes
that "outer space" sound) and a deep, creepy voice saying
"CRE-E-E-E-ture F-E-E-E-E-ture!"

If yes, you got to see Vincent Price and some of the older film classics,
aka Edgar Allen Poe - The Pit and the Pendulum, Masque of the Red Death,
like that. If things went further back, some of the old Dracula films, The
Wolfman, The Mummy, The Invisible Man. (I do love black & white films!)

Yes! Indeed!

[...]

Actually, there was kind of another genre. the "Hammer" films from
Hammer Studios in England in the 50s and 60s. Those were pretty gory,
and usually had Christopher Lee in them.

You also reminded me of "Count Floyd" from SCTV. Remember him? It
was Joe Flaherty, dressed up like a vampire, and saying "Vow! Vasn't
that scary, keeds?"

Theresa

Make Levees, Not War
Old November 1st 06, 04:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

Kreisleriana wrote:
[...]

Yes, that was funny as can be! And remember "Grandpa" from 'The Munsters'
who showed up for a while on other shows.

While I was out I saw a kidlet dressed as a vampire at the store. The guy
behind the counter also had on a vampire costume and makeup. It had just
gotten dark and after he walked off I said to the guy behind the counter,
"He doesn't know we mostly look like normal people" And I smiled and
showed the clerk my fangs while I handed him my Colgate toothpaste. LOL

Jill