Vetenarian 'killer'

Old November 12th 06, 07:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Julie Porter

Default Vetenarian 'killer'

"Karen R." wrote in message
nk.net...
eleaticus wrote the following on 11/11/2006 5:39 PM:

My 15-year old, Sadie Bugbane, was abused on her first trip to the

vet, and
since then it is almost worth the vet's life to take her in the doc.

She is small and the squeeze net is ineffective and a vet and

helpers are
sure to get slashed if they really try to do their job.

I had one small cat who was normally very sweet and gentle, but who
became very aggressive if she had to be pilled. I found that a cat bag
worked really well for her. I also have one who is terrified of

strangers
and a trip to the vet is her idea of h*ll. While she doesn't become
aggressive she does much better in a cat bag with me holding her.

There may be others out there, but this is the one I use:

http://www.cat-in-the-bag.com/

Karen R.

I toar wone of dose up wonce.

Bear

Old November 13th 06, 12:27 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
eleaticus

"Julie Porter" wrote in message
k.net...

"Karen R." wrote in message
[...]

Thanks, Karen, for that link.

And thanks, Bear, for responding to it. it didn't show up on my system.

I might end up getting one or two for travel but for taking Sadie Bugbane to
the vet it would be like shredding money. The material would have to be
heavy duty denim or canvas to be of any real help.

Hmm. If I could get her - with a broken leg, say - into the bag it would be
easier to actually wrap her securely.

But then, getting the anesthesia delivered would still be a problem/

--
eleaticus
ee-lee-AT-i-cus

Old November 13th 06, 12:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
unclefred

Julie Porter wrote:

[...]

Exactly -- it's one thing to think of a way to get them to the vet, and
still another to figure out how the vet is going to handle them once you
get them there. I thought that if Bear went into the bag to transport
him, then you still wouldn't be able to handle him once you got him
there, or examine or inject him. He's very, very aggressive once he gets
there. We've been experimenting lately with the squeeze net, and the vet
likes using it, but I think I like the squeeze cage better. Maybe. It's
ALL stressful!

Julie

Generally we go to the Vet's in a cat carrier. How the vet deals with us
is his/her problem. That's what they're paid fur. We neffer has enny big
issues as our vets are friendly and only a little rude. Fred tries to find
vets that do *not* declaw.

--
Regards,
Fred Williams

Old November 13th 06, 11:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
eleaticus

[...]

If Bear is big enough the squeeze net will work a lot better on him than on
Sadie. She is small and had no problem reversing direction in it, even when
the frightened aide didn't almost let go entirely.

--
eleaticus
ee-lee-AT-i-cus

Julie

Old November 13th 06, 11:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
eleaticus

"unclefred" wrote in message

Generally we go to the Vet's in a cat carrier. How the vet deals

with us
is his/her problem. That's what they're paid fur. We neffer has enny big
issues as our vets are friendly and only a little rude. Fred tries to

find
vets that do *not* declaw.

Unfortunately, there are unscrupulous vets. When Sadie came down suddenly
with eyes running (clear) I hauled her off to a vet open all night some 40
miles away. They took her to the back in her travelling cage, and came back
rather quickly.

I marvelled at not hearing her snarl and 'roar' and the gal just gave me a
Mona Lisa, 60-70 bucks of meds, and a $90 fee for the visit. The meds were
for infections.

The eye problem eventually went away. But returned and I took Sadie off to
a very unlucky vet who had a squeeze net and the good sense to conclude the
problem was allergic reaction and all I needed was some children's Benadryl.

The $@*&()*&! at the overnight vet hadn't even gotten a look at Sadie except
through the bars of the cage, and stuck me with a wild guess' worth of meds
instead of something (well-)diagnosed.

--
eleaticus
ee-lee-AT-i-cus

--
Regards,
Fred Williams

Old November 14th 06, 12:58 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Julie Porter

"eleaticus" wrote in message
. ..
"unclefred" wrote in message

[...]

Well, that's the thing. You want your cat to have the best treatment
possible. If I go on a Saturday, for example, the best-trained people at
my vet's office might not be working that day, and they might have
trouble giving Bear an injection he needs. I don't want to just step
back and say, not my problem. I want whatever apparatus it takes for my
cat to get all the treatment he needs. My problem isn't that they charge
me for things that they don't do -- but the fact that there just ARE
things they can't do. Before the squeeze cage, there were many, many
occasions when there was blood slung on all the walls of the room --
sometimes mine, sometime's the vet's. The cage means that they don't
give up in order to keep workers from being injured.

Julie

Old November 14th 06, 01:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.community
Julie Porter

"eleaticus" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

I like the net OK, but this past week, an inexperienced vet tech caught
him in it with the frame right on his neck, and if she had jerked him he
could have died. Scared me to death.

Julie