You think killer squirrels are bad....

Old January 21st 07, 06:57 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Julie and Sam

Default You think killer squirrels are bad....

we have... Wild Shih Tzus - Danger Will Robinson they be Shih Tzus on the
loose.

From Atlanta Journal Constitutuion:

Beware. The Shih Tzus are on the loose in east Cobb.

Four shaggy little dogs, which resemble mobile rag mops, were first noticed
near a condominium community before Thanksgiving. They yap at dog walkers
and roam the common areas.

Residents don't know how the dogs, probably Shih Tzu mixes, became homeless.
One was killed a few weeks ago after straying onto nearby Powers Ferry Road.
Another is on the lam. That leaves two, but the number could increase. Area
resident Gabriella Toth said one of the pooches is suspiciously plump.

They are also hard to catch. Cobb animal control officers put out a trap
recently, but caught someone's long-haired cat instead. They came back after
Covered Bridge condo manager Leonard Danuloff cornered the pups inside the
swimming pool fence. The wily dogs dug under the fence and escaped.

Residents believe the dogs are a tight couple and think they should be kept
together if eventually caught.

"I think it would break his heart if he lost her," Danuloff said. From the
condo office, he watched the male dog guarding his mate as Toth approached
them. Toth is determined to give them a home.

On Wednesday she came close. It's about building trust, Toth said, as she
tossed some nuggets of food into the air. They nibbled at the food, but
scooted back as she drew near.

"They are just so damn cute," she said. "If I don't feed them, they will
die."

Animal Control officials warn that feeding them makes catching the canines
more difficult, but Toth isn't the only one giving in. One homeowner brings
them chicken and another makes them fried eggs.

Toth built an insulated dog house on a covered bridge at the rear of the
neighborhood and filled it with stuffed animals and warm blankets. She
provides distilled water so they won't drink out of a nearby creek.

Not all of the condo's residents are happy about the wayward dogs. Toth said
she saw a large man kicking at the dogs. She told him she would break every
bone in his legs if he hurt them.

"People act as if they are 400-pound tigers," she said. "They bark a lot,
but they are scared and don't know what else to do."

Another homeowner, Wendy Bassner, became concerned after one of the dogs
came after her Jack Russell terrier. She had heard there was a pack of wild
dogs loose in the neighborhood, but somehow the terms "wild" and "Shih Tzu"
don't seem to go together.

In recent weeks she has warmed to them and is concerned about their
well-being.

"They shouldn't be out here in the cold, she said. "They should be someone's
pampered pets. They should have a nice home."

Old January 21st 07, 07:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
mlbriggs

On Sun, 21 Jan 2007 00:57:34 -0500, Julie and Sam wrote:

we have... Wild Shih Tzus - Danger Will Robinson they be Shih Tzus on the
loose.

From Atlanta Journal Constitutuion:

[...]

Purring that the little Shihs will be caught and give a good home. MLB

Old January 21st 07, 11:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Karen

On 2007-01-20 23:57:34 -0600, "Julie and Sam" said:

we have... Wild Shih Tzus - Danger Will Robinson they be Shih Tzus on
the loose.

From Atlanta Journal Constitutuion:

[...]

OMG! I love this Toth gal. Yeah, other than annoying I can't imagine a
****-zu being horribly dangerous. I hope she gets them in the end. I
wonder if someone tossed a batch of puppies?

Old January 21st 07, 02:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
kilikini

On 2007-01-20 23:57:34 -0600, "Julie and Sam"

said:

OMG! I love this Toth gal. Yeah, other than annoying I can't imagine a
****-zu being horribly dangerous. I hope she gets them in the end. I
wonder if someone tossed a batch of puppies?

Unfortunately, that would be my guess. :-(

kili