Icarus Recovering

Old March 28th 08, 05:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Sheelagh>\o\

Default Icarus Recovering

On Mar 27, 3:11*am, "Cat Protector" wrote:
I thought I'd give everyone an update. I've been checking on Icarus every
day and not had too much opportunity to visit him because I didn't want to
interfere too much with the vet. Before I left the vet on Sunday, I left my
jacket with him so he had my scent and hopefully make him more comfortable..
He's very hostile at the vet and let's them know he doesn't like being
there. Regardless, on Monday I did visit with him for about 5-10 minutes and
asked about his canned diet being a bit more nutritional and finding
something that didn't have too much fiber in it. Yesterday, when I stopped
by the vet they were busy but they had pilled him and force fed him. I
didn't get to visit with Icarus though.

Today, the vet said that he's eating on his own and producing urine. He
still has the cone on his head but seems to be doing much better. There is
also a possibility that he might be coming home tomorrow. They said that
they'll be removing the catheter and if he urinates in the litterbox
normally then he'll be ready to come home. This has put a strain on me
financially but he's worth it. I really miss him and so does Isis, but she's
also enjoying the fact that she has me all to herself right now.

Wonderful News Indeed.
Big Smile this end

I know how you feel though! It's no fun @ all when your feline family
are ill. A constant worry, hard on the wallet, & makes us all grummble
because we all hate baked beans for months on end, LOL- but worth
every penny/cent! I'm delighted to hear there has been some
improvement, & hopefully, by the time you read this post, his catheter
might be out, & with any luck @ all, he might be home with you?
Poor poor Icarus. she has had a rough time recently.

( it might also be worth mentioning, that illness it takes it's own
toll out of the slave concerned too. Take time out for you sometime
too- I'm sure that is what Icarus would want you do!)
Continued Purrs of comfort & reassurance,
Sheelagh "o"
Old March 28th 08, 05:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cat Protector

Thanks Sheelagh. I thought he'd be coming back home yesterday. I never got a
call from the vet and I know they get busy. Perhaps today they'll call me
and let me know if he can come home. Yes, this has taken a toll on me. I'm
trying to stay positive though.

Old March 28th 08, 06:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cat Protector

I just got a call from the vet. Icarus has taken a slight turn for the
worst. The vet says that his catheter became blocked and they had to expel
the urine manually. He said that he's never before seen a catheter become
blocked. The PU surgery is an option but I pretty much have no money to pay
for it if I have to have a surgeon do it. The vet says that it's possible he
has spasms of the bladder so I'm getting a call from Diamondback Drugs to
get the medication for this. I have no clue what else I'm going to do here.
I don't want to have to put Icarus to sleep simply because of money. I hate
to lose him.

Old March 28th 08, 11:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
mc

On Mar 28, 1:50 pm, "Cat Protector" wrote:
I just got a call from the vet. Icarus has taken a slight turn for the
worst. The vet says that his catheter became blocked and they had to expel
the urine manually. He said that he's never before seen a catheter become
blocked. The PU surgery is an option but I pretty much have no money to pay
for it if I have to have a surgeon do it. The vet says that it's possible he
has spasms of the bladder so I'm getting a call from Diamondback Drugs to
get the medication for this. I have no clue what else I'm going to do here.
I don't want to have to put Icarus to sleep simply because of money. I hate
to lose him.

CP,

I am so sorry. Please don't put Icarus down for financial reasons,
although I truly understand the finances part of it. I understand if
putting him down is truly what you must do, but I would encourage you
to consider every other option first. I truly, truly sympathise with
you on that issue. Only you can decide if you must go with trying to
pay for the surgery or put him down.

I had just lost my job when Max started having his issues with the
urine crystals. Additionally, within a month or two of taking him in,
he was already in need of the surgery! I had gotten him from a friend
and he began showing signs of distress within just a day or two of me
bringing him into my house. Sometimes I wonder if my "friend" gave him
to me because she suspected a problem, but there are too many
variables in this to be sure, and urine crystals can crop up within
24-48 hours... it can become a problem that quickly... So I will never
know for sure unless she fesses up - and she won't. Bickering about it
certainly won't do me any good!

Believe me, my husband and I had to do some serious thinking... did we
really want to put a couple of thousand dollars into Max? But Max is
such a hoot and such a joy to us... we found it in our hearts to
somehow, some way make this work. And of course, our veterinarian also
worked with us. I really feel that the vet did the whole thing for us
for nearly cost. Dr. Nauta contributes and helps out with rescues and
so I guess he felt we were a worthy enough cause. He is truly an
animal lover. I cannot say enough good things about my veterinarian.

My whole thing is that I feel that when I get back on top of things
financially that I would like donate the difference +++ to my vets
office, because they truly have gone above and beyond. And a donation
would only be helping others who are in my predicament.

Believe me, there is not much money in our household. We were a family
used to having money. My husband and I did very well for quite a
number years. And then he became disabled - he was diagnosed with MS
in 1999 and ever since things have been quite a struggle for us. That
is when everything started what I refer to as the "downward spiral".

No one, and I mean no one understands.

All I am saying is that I know you love Icarus. I know financially you
are strapped because of all of this... But Icarus did not ask to have
this condition.

You have to do what you have to do. Whatever you decide, it is your
decision to make.

My thoughts are purrs go with you ;-)

Melissa

Old March 29th 08, 12:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
blkcatgal

CP, I'm sorry to hear Icarus is still having problems. Talk with your
veterinarian. Hopefully he will be understanding enough to help you out
here and maybe offer a payment plan of some sort.

S.
---

Old March 29th 08, 01:51 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cat Protector

Thanks. I don't want to put Icarus down for financial reasons and it never
crossed my mind but I have to wonder if there's a surgeon who will do the PU
surgery and I can pay them back via a payment plan?

Dr. Pruitt (Icarus's doctor) actually mentioned that the problem might be a
bladder spasm which may have caused his catheter to get blocked so we're
trying a drug that supposedly relaxes his muscles and everything so he can
pee. Apparently it's like an anti-inflammatory or something.

Old March 29th 08, 01:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cat Protector

I'm already on a payment plan with the vet. I just don't know if a surgeon
who does PU surgeory (if Icarus needs it) would be so helpful.

. ..

Old March 29th 08, 02:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
mc

Thanks. I don't want to put Icarus down for financial reasons and
it never
crossed my mind but I have to wonder if there's a surgeon who will do
the PU
surgery and I can pay them back via a payment plan?

I apologize if I wasn't clear. I thought it was pretty
straightforward.

Max had "the surgery" within 3 months of us taking him in.

Our vet was happy to cut the cost of the surgery to quite a degree and
then was also willing to accept payment arrangements.

Believe you me; I only offer this information to you to get you to see
that 1) You are not alone, and 2) Most likely, if your vet is as good
as you seem to think, he/she may very well be willing to work out
arrangements with you, and may even be willing to cut the cost
somewhat.

You cannot count on that however; veterinarians work with enough dead
beats as to cause them to have some reservations about working with
people who may or may not pay their bills. Perfectly understandable.

You have already established a relationship of trust with your vet
which puts you ahead somewhat.

Of course, whether or not your vet is willing to work with you will be
dependent upon your attutude and what you believe you can accomplish.

Lets face it, all you can do is try.

Please do let us know the outcome.

Old March 29th 08, 02:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Cat Protector

I'm already on a payment plan with the vet but he's never done a PU which is
why a surgeon would be brought in. I just don't know if the surgeon would be
willing to do a payment plan.

Old March 29th 08, 03:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-mhd[_2_]

"Cat Protector" wrote:

I'm already on a payment plan with the vet but he's never done a PU which is
why a surgeon would be brought in. I just don't know if the surgeon would be
willing to do a payment plan.

If the surgeon is "brought in" then the billing may still be through
your vet and your vet will pay the surgeon.

-mhd