Please let me properly introduce myself

Old February 23rd 05, 01:17 AM
Shirley

"Yowie" wrote in message
"Shirley" wrote in message
"Yowie" wrote in message

Mmm... I *love* Earl Grey, and like Lady Grey even better.

Blech! I have a packet of Earl Grey sat in a cupboard (unwanted
christmas pressie), would it be ok to post it to you?

If you want to post it to Australia (and its allowed through
customs) I
won't say no!

It's the customs part I'm not sure about :-) I guess the only thing to
do is ask at the post office and if they say it's ok you'll get a
small package from the uk.

--
Shirley

Yowie

Old February 23rd 05, 01:30 AM
Mary

On 2005-02-23, Mary penned:

Just the difference between the fresh herb and the dried. Coriander

tends to
be the seeds, cilantro the green part.

They don't taste the same, though, do they?

Nope! I have never used coriander seeds in anything and I when
I choose salsa at a burrito place I chose one that leaves
fresh cilantro out because I do not care for it. I have never
made fresh salsa, I like the kind in the jar too much.

Old February 23rd 05, 01:49 AM
Christina Websell

Yowie wrote:
"Christina Websell" wrote in
message ...
Yowie wrote:
snip
If someone by whatever name they care to post under wants to talk
about their kitties, then thats what the group is here for.

Of course, that is understood, that *is* what the group is for but
what it is not here for is for the very genuine and kind-hearted
people that post here to be taken advantage of.

Very true.

We are
not a witch hunting party (apologies to the Wiccans out there) and
we aren't a crack investigation team.

I don't think we've witch-hunted and we may not be the best
detectives in the world, but I think (and it's only my personal
opinion, mind, after looking at each and every post) that there
is/was something very wrong here.

Welcome the stories about kitties, and leave it at that. Any
mistrust or hard feelings can be done in private.

Stories about kitties I love. Any mistrust or hard feelings are
appropriate to be expressed here, as it all happened here after all.
You may have to go along with a few more posts about this as we all
gradually, at our own pace, get over it.
I didn't want it to be all a fake either, but I'm fairly sure it is.

And yes, it's sad. While any of us feel sad about it, it's nice to
share that between us.

Also true, but I guess I'm willing to give a person the benefit of the
doubt. If "one&only" is who she says she is, the we have no right to
jump all over her. If she is who we suspect she is, it will become
obvious soon enough and getting angry with her and threatening her
isn't helping anyone - neither her nor us.

I can't remember getting angry and threatening her. Did I?

And even if "one&only"
does turn out to be the person who was originally posting as Holly,
her cat anecdotes are not off topic here and it may help her to know
that we can and do like reading her kitty stories (there is no rule
to say they have to be true).

The kitty stories are great, and I enjoyed reading them.

I can understand feeling sad, upset, dissapointed and taken for a
ride. I did too. But the anger that seems to be coming out now is so
out of character for this group. The discord and hostility I now see
is upsetting me far more than the original deception

I think you will find it will all die away soon, as we all come to terms
with it in our own time.

, which, if I
understand MBI, was not done out of any malice or ill intention but
rather part of a disease. Its like getting mad at someone for
swearing when they have Tourette's. It doesn't help the person with
the illness and blinds us to the fact that the person is just as much
a victim of their disease as we are.

Munchausen's - in whichever form - needs to be treated by the mental health
services.

We didn't get mad and threaten the person who typed in all-caps when
we found out she had a vision impairment, instead we tried to help by
typing in all-caps as well when replying to her.

That is not exactly the same, is it?

I'm wondering why we
can't find it in our hearts to be understanding of "Holly" as well.

Well, we can understand but we must never collaborate by accepting what
someone does in a case like this. They have to realise that what they are
doing is based in fantasy and they need re-orientating to real life. Any
other response - like going along with it - is a disservice to them, if you
do this they will *never* seek proper help.
I know this because of my job. It's bad practice to accept behaviour that's
out of touch with reality. It's not kind to do that, it's actually cruel.

Tweed

Old February 23rd 05, 01:51 AM
Victor Martinez

Nan wrote:
Thanks, Yowie. We don't know what the true circumstances are behind
all of this, and I would hate to see rpca break up over something as
trivial as this.

Unlikely. We've been through much worse and came out of it even
stronger. I think there is too much love in this group to have something
like this produce any lasting effect.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old February 23rd 05, 01:53 AM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-02-23, Mary penned:

Nope! I have never used coriander seeds in anything and I when I choose
salsa at a burrito place I chose one that leaves fresh cilantro out because
I do not care for it. I have never made fresh salsa, I like the kind in the
jar too much.

Oof.

My favorite salsa is pico de gallo, which is basically tomatoes, onions, and
cilantro.

I'm getting to the point where old standbys like Pace salsa just don't do it
for me; I much prefer the refrigerated stuff with an expiration date. I blame
living in Colorado; you get spoiled for pseudo-mexican stuff pretty quickly.
Since moving to Colorado (and living with DH, who adores spicy foods), I've
developed a serious fondness for green chili, too. I'd never even heard of it
before moving here.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old February 23rd 05, 01:54 AM
Jo Firey

"jmcquown" wrote in message
. ..
Smokie Darling (Annie) wrote:
Shiral wrote:
For dessert, try some shortbread: Dr. Atkins would shrivel with
horror, of course. But if you want to live dangerously, here's the
recipe anyway:
preheat oven to 300 F.
2 sticks butter (must be butter)
*1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 3/4 cup regular flour
**1/4 cup rice flour
*I recently tried a variation of using light brown sugar in this
recipe, and it was quite good. =o)
**Look for rice flour at natural food stores or places that sell
spices in bulk, or in the baking ingredients aisle at your local
grocery store. If you can't find it, it's not a disaster. Just use 2
cups of regular flour and the shortbread will still be very good. I
use rice flour because it makes the cookies a little more crisp and
delicate when they're baked.

Cream the butter, sugar and vanilla together, then gradually sift in
the flour, until it is all incorporated. These cookies are much
easier to handle when you pop the dough in the refrigerator and
chill it for ten to fifteen minutes. Roll out the dough, and cut
cookies in any shapes you wish. Bake the cookies for about 15
minutes, or until the edges are light brown. The recipe makes 15-24
cookies, depending on how thin you roll the dough, and how large a
cookie cutter you use. They're delicious with milk or with a cup of
hot tea or coffee.

Melissa

Oh, goodness, I absolutely adore shortbread. Hmmm, going to be eating
good stuff on my "Free Day".

Smokie Darling (Annie)

My maternal grandparents were straight off the boat from Scotland in 1923
and grandma definitely made wonderful buttery shortbread. Don't even
think
of attempting this without using real (unsalted) butter.

3/4 c. butter
4 c. sifted all purpose flour
1 c. sugar
1/4 tsp. salt

Blend salt into flour. In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter with the
sugar and then blend in with the flour mixture until you have a stiff
dough.
Pat the dough out in a 6X9 inch pan, pressing with the sides of a glass to
smooth the dough. Prick it all over with a fork. Bake at 275F for 50-60
minutes or until lightly browned.

Jill

Charlie has been unmercifully spoiled when it comes to shortbread. He once
lived in a walk up apartment about a shortbread bakery/factory in Edinburgh.

When I make shortbread I use the rolling pin that is like a rolling cookie
stamp I got from my mother to mark it.

Never had the patience to make the Christmas cookies it was designed for.

Jo

Old February 23rd 05, 02:01 AM
Mary

On 2005-02-23, Mary penned:

Nope! I have never used coriander seeds in anything and I when I choose
salsa at a burrito place I chose one that leaves fresh cilantro out

because
I do not care for it. I have never made fresh salsa, I like the kind in

the
jar too much.

Oof.

My favorite salsa is pico de gallo, which is basically tomatoes, onions,

and
cilantro.

I like pico without cilantro!

I'm getting to the point where old standbys like Pace salsa just don't do

it
for me; I much prefer the refrigerated stuff with an expiration date.

My favorite (I am not a Salsa gourmet!) is Old El Paso Thick and
Chunky Medium! I also cook with it. Lentil soup is fab with just a
splash of this stuff after the lentils have gotten soft (30 minutes) then
with just a sprinkle of cheddar cheese on top.

I blame
living in Colorado; you get spoiled for pseudo-mexican stuff pretty

quickly.
Since moving to Colorado (and living with DH, who adores spicy foods),

I've
developed a serious fondness for green chili, too. I'd never even heard

of it
before moving here.

What is green chili?

Old February 23rd 05, 02:06 AM
PatM

Mmm... I *love* Earl Grey, and like Lady Grey even better.

Yowie

Earl Grey is my favorite but never heard of Lady Grey...? Have you
tried Earl Greyer? More bergamont! PatM

Old February 23rd 05, 02:06 AM
Susan M

That sounds AMAZING!!!

Susan M
Otis and Chester

"pistor" wrote in message
oups.com...
Victor's easy green mole

1 lb tomatillos, washed and shucked
1 qt chicken broth
serrano peppers to taste (I use 4 or 5)
1 cup raw, shelled pumpkin seeds
1 bunch of cilantro

Boil the tomatillos and peppers in the chicken broth until cooked.
Toast or fry the seeds in a hot pan until cooked. Puree the seeds with
some of the broth until they form a smooth paste. Blend the tomatillos
and the seed paste with enough broth to make a thick sauce. Heat some
oil in a dutch oven and add the sauce once the oil is very hot. Let
simmer for 10 minutes. Season with salt, if needed. Take a ladlefull of
mole and put it in the blender with the cilantro. Purree and return to
the pot. Serve with your favorite grilled meat and corn tortillas.

Old February 23rd 05, 02:10 AM
Victor Martinez

Yowie wrote:
all-caps as well when replying to her. I'm wondering why we can't find it in
our hearts to be understanding of "Holly" as well.

I think a problem many of us have in this particular instance is that we
feel betrayed. We trusted Holly and many of us were very worried for
her and cared about her and sent her get well cards. I in particular
sent her one of my "Cats from Paris" that I specially value. I guess I
felt a bit more because my mother has just recently had brain surgery
for real.
I can forgive Holly and I do. Unless she keeps lying. In that case I
will just killfile her and ignore her completely.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he