"The Russian Blue" book, anyone?

Old December 25th 03, 05:14 PM
Bob Brenchley.

On Thu, 25 Dec 2003 14:42:31 GMT, "Linda Terrell"
wrote:

On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 20:16:58 UTC, Bob Brenchley.
wrote:

On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 17:06:56 GMT, "Linda Terrell"
wrote:

On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 23:16:41 UTC, Bob Brenchley.
wrote:

On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 16:41:10 GMT, "Linda Terrell"
wrote:

Stupid Troll.

--did someone write this for you, Bob?

LT

Stupid troll.

So, you are still talking to your mirror.

LT

Stupid troll.

Your mirror is stuck.

LT

Stupid troll.

--
Bob.

If brains were taxed, you would get a rebate.
Old December 26th 03, 06:40 AM
Melissa Powell

Susan,

I'm new as well to this group...and while I don't let my cats out (big
city), I have no problem with other people doing it. Cats are the least
domesticated of the 'domestic' animals - and as Kipling said, (paraphrased)
"And she walked by herself." Ce la vie.

Anyway, back to the original question: I've had nine cats over the
years....generally I find that having a male, and then getting a female is
the way to go. Right now I have four cats: three males and a much older
female, who doesn't get along with anyone - her buddy, another female, died
recently...so she's hanging on her own - with me. Typically, if you have
more than two males there might be a dominance issue - but if they are
around the same age, and neutered, they generally work it out. Sometimes,
as with dogs, you can establish who you want to be No. 1 and No. 2 - through
feeding, grooming, and playing priority (no. 1 first, etc.). If you get
another cat - I would advise establishing your first cat as the dominant cat
in the house or yard. That sets the ground rules - and getting a kitten (or
a cat less than a year old - not necessarily a just weened kitten) is ideal.
Then they do look 'up' to the older cat.

Not sure what happened with answering someone's inquiry
straight-forward....but with most newsgroups, I've found this to be an
ongoing issue - it seems some of the posters need to establish 'dominance'
..... Just ignore the "troll"esque threads - and read the ones that stay on
topic to the post.

I hope this long-winded, albeit belated...post helps...

Sincerely,
Melissa

"Susan" wrote in message
I am a brand new subscriber and have a question - we have had cats for
years, but never 2 until last year when we adopted a year old female, part
Russian Blue, after having to put down our 18 year old cat. She was a
shelter cat and had free run of the shelter, so she was lonely and we got

4 month old male a couple of months later. He was very dominant right off
the bat and ambushed her constantly. They got along and played alot, but

know there were times when she was not at all happy with the constant
ambushing. We also have 2 Labrador Retrievers and I believe Morris thinks
he's a dog and gets along famously with them. Anyway, the female cat
disappeared about 2 months ago. Morris is about a year old now and he's
really lonely. We're going to adopt another, but I'm curious whether it's
better to have 2 cats of the same sex or doesn't it matter if they are
neutered to begin with. Any thoughts? Susan

Old January 2nd 04, 10:10 AM
Jellicoe

Sorry to go off the intended topic of this thread, but some of the
replies to the original post make me feel the need to speak up.
I have been signed up to the cats group for several months now, and
have often come across similar closed-minded criticism against cat
owners who let their pets go outside. Terms such as 'cruel' and
'uncaring' are used against these owners, with terms like 'safe' and
'happier' used to describe the life of an indoor cat. How about
'boring' and 'sedentary'? I believe it is unfair to keep any animal
confined to a small space. Seen the large cats pacing unhappily at the
zoo recently?

If given the choice themselves, how many cats do you think would
choose to live wholly indoors, and not want to explore and sniff
things and chase things outside? It is quite unrealistic to think that
an enquistive opportunistic predator like the domestic cat can be
mentally healthy while imprisioned.
My cat has a cat door, and can choose whether she wants to be in or
out. She let us know early on that she wanted to go outside, by trying
to get out the back door whenever we went out. I was initially nervous
when she went outside, but then when I saw how much happier she was
having the freedom to decide for herself where she wanted to be. Now I
could never keep her completely cooped up in the house.

I would rather not have an animal at all then keep it in conditions
that are more designed to meet my selfish needs than theirs. Whose
needs are more important, yours or theirs?

Old January 2nd 04, 03:52 PM
Victor Martinez

Jellicoe wrote:
I would rather not have an animal at all then keep it in conditions
that are more designed to meet my selfish needs than theirs. Whose
needs are more important, yours or theirs?

I see you live in New Zealand. Wonderful country, with very little
people and lots of room for cats to roam around safely. No predators
either. Sounds like a great place for cats!
Not all of us live in such places. Some of us live in large cities, with
lots of busy streets filled with cars. Guess who wins when a car meets a
cat on the road? Others live where there are coyotes and other predators
that would love to make a meal out of our loved cats.
If you ever travel to Texas, give me a call. I would love to show you my
home, with our 7 indoor-only cats. You can judge by yourself if they are
"bored", "sedentary" or in any way unhappy.

Cheers.

--
Victor Martinez
Send your spam he

Old January 2nd 04, 04:25 PM
Hans Schrøder

"Victor Martinez" wrote in message

I see you live in New Zealand. Wonderful country, with very little
people and lots of room for cats to roam around safely. No predators
either. Sounds like a great place for cats!
Not all of us live in such places. Some of us live in large cities, with
lots of busy streets filled with cars. Guess who wins when a car meets a
cat on the road? Others live where there are coyotes and other predators
that would love to make a meal out of our loved cats.
If you ever travel to Texas, give me a call. I would love to show you my
home, with our 7 indoor-only cats. You can judge by yourself if they are
"bored", "sedentary" or in any way unhappy.

Totally agreed, Victor.

Indoor cats may have a very rich, and not to mention long, and good life.
Most indoor cats live longer than outdoor cats, just because the are safe
from the mentioned dangers.

And they may have an even better life if they are two or more. I am out of
the house about 10 hours a day, and I know that my cats are happy with
eachother's company while I'm away, even if I suspect they spend most of the
time sleeping...

My cats are Devon Rex, and here in Norway it's better to prepare them to be
indoor cats all their lives. The winters are cold and snowy, and these cats,
skinny, with short and thin fur, would be in danger of freezing to death
within short time. In summer, they can get fatal sunburns when exposed to
the sun. So the solution then would be to let them out on April 25th and
September 15th, when the weather conditions could be suitable. :-)

--
Hans
It is about -10C (12.2F) cold today...

Old January 2nd 04, 06:51 PM
Ivor Jones

Jellicoe wrote:
I would rather not have an animal at all then keep it in conditions
that are more designed to meet my selfish needs than theirs. Whose
needs are more important, yours or theirs?

I see you live in New Zealand. Wonderful country, with very little
people and lots of room for cats to roam around safely. No predators
either. Sounds like a great place for cats!
Not all of us live in such places. Some of us live in large cities, with
lots of busy streets filled with cars. Guess who wins when a car meets a
cat on the road? Others live where there are coyotes and other predators
that would love to make a meal out of our loved cats.
If you ever travel to Texas, give me a call. I would love to show you my
home, with our 7 indoor-only cats. You can judge by yourself if they are
"bored", "sedentary" or in any way unhappy.

So do you think it fair on the cats to keep them indoors just because
*you* choose to live in a city..?

Ivor