Where do you get your best buys in cat food?

Old January 5th 09, 11:20 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
James

Default Where do you get your best buys in cat food?

Is it K Mart, Wal Mart, Target or big box pet stores? Now that gas
is reasonalbe it may be worth it for me to drive to one of the stores
to buy cat food.

I used to get the 7 lb. Purina One but it seems expensive lately.
Old January 6th 09, 09:31 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Too_Many_Tools

On Jan 5, 4:20*pm, James wrote:
Is it K Mart, Wal Mart, Target or big box pet stores? * Now that gas
is reasonalbe it may be worth it for me to drive to one of the stores
to buy cat food.

I used to get the 7 lb. Purina One but it seems expensive lately.

Mice? ;)

In all seriousness, good food is cheaper in the long run as other
posters are noting.

Buying it in bulk also helps.

How many cats are we talking about?

TMT
Old January 6th 09, 10:05 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

On Jan 5, 5:20*pm, James wrote:
Is it K Mart, Wal Mart, Target or big box pet stores? * Now that gas
is reasonalbe it may be worth it for me to drive to one of the stores
to buy cat food.

I used to get the 7 lb. Purina One but it seems expensive lately.

Clip your coupons (and search for them on-line as well), purchase as
*GOOD* food comes on sale and you won't do worse than your local chain-
supermarket. Figure if you drive 20 miles R/T to a big-box, that will
be anywhere from a buck to three bucks for gas alone, not to mention
wear and tear and so forth. The IRS does not 'allow' ~$0.505/mile for
automotive expenses for nothing, after all. And if you save a couple
of bucks overall in the food, you are not paying yourself much, are
you?

My job takes me past pretty much every retailer national or otherwise
every week. Even after all that, I find that Giant Foods to be as
competitive as any of the others, including the Clubs - of which our
company maintains corporate memberships for its employees.

Writing for myself, I steer away from many house-brands of
unidentified origins as I have no clue as to whether the ingredients
include melamine or mutton, neither or both.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Old January 6th 09, 10:13 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
James

On Jan 6, 3:31*pm, Too_Many_Tools wrote:
On Jan 5, 4:20*pm, James wrote:

Is it K Mart, Wal Mart, Target or big box pet stores? * Now that gas
is reasonalbe it may be worth it for me to drive to one of the stores
to buy cat food.

I used to get the 7 lb. Purina One but it seems expensive lately.

Mice? ;)

In all seriousness, good food is cheaper in the long run as other
posters are noting.

Buying it in bulk also helps.

How many cats are we talking about?

TMT

We just have one pussy. BTW I went to the feed store to buy some hay
and rabbit food.. They had a close out on their economy cat food. So
I bought a 40 pound bag for $10. It was 1/2 price and so cheap I
couldn't resist. I could use the $10 saved to give her 20 pounds of
chicken legs.

Old January 7th 09, 04:19 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Too_Many_Tools

On Jan 5, 4:20*pm, James wrote:

Is it K Mart, Wal Mart, Target or big box pet stores? * Now that gas
is reasonalbe it may be worth it for me to drive to one of the stores
to buy cat food.

I used to get the 7 lb. Purina One but it seems expensive lately.

Mice? ;)

In all seriousness, good food is cheaper in the long run as other
posters are noting.

Buying it in bulk also helps.

How many cats are we talking about?

TMT

We just have one pussy. *BTW I went to the feed store to buy some hay
and rabbit food.. They had a close out on their economy cat food. *So
I bought a 40 pound bag for $10. *It was 1/2 price and so cheap I
couldn't resist. *I could use the $10 saved to give her 20 pounds of
chicken legs.- Hide quoted text -

Sounds like a lucky cat. ;)

If you have any farm stores that serve the agriculture sector, they
will sell in bulk and at decent prices.

Farms have working cats and those cats need to be fed.

The farmers make sure the furry hired hands get fed.

TMT
Old January 7th 09, 04:50 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
The Real Bev

Too_Many_Tools wrote:

On Jan 6, 3:13 pm, James wrote:

We just have one pussy. BTW I went to the feed store to buy some hay
and rabbit food.. They had a close out on their economy cat food. So
I bought a 40 pound bag for $10. It was 1/2 price and so cheap I
couldn't resist. I could use the $10 saved to give her 20 pounds of
chicken legs.- Hide quoted text -

Sounds like a lucky cat. ;)

If you have any farm stores that serve the agriculture sector, they
will sell in bulk and at decent prices.

Farms have working cats and those cats need to be fed.

Presumably the work they do is ridding the farm of rodents. So why do they need
extra food? Oh, wait, I know why. Holidays and personal days. The UFWA --
United Feline Workers of America. Never mind.

The farmers make sure the furry hired hands get fed.

Claws can give the term 'strike' a whole new meaning...

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old January 7th 09, 04:54 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cshenk

"James" wrote:

Just have one pussy. BTW I went to the feed store to buy some hay
and rabbit food.. They had a close out on their economy cat food. So
I bought a 40 pound bag for $10. It was 1/2 price and so cheap I
couldn't resist. I could use the $10 saved to give her 20 pounds of
chicken legs.

That works. Now all you need is a good storage container to keep the bugs
and mice out of it. I assume a farm since you were buying hay.

That 40# bag is probably totally USA generated and decent quality with none
of the problems the overseas stuff has had. At the most, you may have a bit
more corn filler than desired. At the worst, they may have not added
taurine and you can adjust that well enough with a 5 lb bag added and mixed
in, of a commercial sort or better yet, 2-3 TB wet sorts like purina etc a
day.

I fix a fair amount of my pet's foods up but we know just enough to use some
of the canned or dry products in addition in sane amounts.

Mostly, I make them a special noshe for lunch with home made broth (salt
free) with a little bit of meat added. Daisy-cat is still a little over
optimal weight but not badly.
Cash-pup is just right. They get a small breakfast, a nooner small munchie,
and 'dinner'. Breakfast is store stuff, nooner is home made, and dinner is
a mix.

Old January 7th 09, 05:39 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Dave Garland

cshenk wrote:
That 40# bag is probably totally USA generated and decent quality with none
of the problems the overseas stuff has had.

I'm not sure one can assume that. The melamine problem in 2007, a lot
of USA brands were affected. It's a global market, and manufacturers
order ingredients from wherever the deal is best.

I lost 3 cats that year. I mostly fed them brands that weren't on the
lists of affected catfood (which included even premium brands like
Eukanuba and Science Diet), but one wonders.

Dave
Old January 7th 09, 07:50 AM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Too_Many_Tools

On Jan 6, 9:50*pm, The Real Bev wrote:
Too_Many_Tools wrote:
On Jan 6, 3:13 pm, James wrote:

[...]

Working cats doing their job properly always need extra feed...because
there are no mice left.

TMT
Old January 7th 09, 06:54 PM posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cshenk

"Dave Garland" wrote
cshenk wrote:
That 40# bag is probably totally USA generated and decent quality with
none
of the problems the overseas stuff has had.

I'm not sure one can assume that. The melamine problem in 2007, a lot
of USA brands were affected. It's a global market, and manufacturers
order ingredients from wherever the deal is best.

Yes, but the big companies (purina etc) arent what he's getting. It;s a
local feed store I gather. Unlikely the contract that out. Worth asking
though.