Day two with the new kitties

Old June 26th 04, 12:20 PM
RobZip

Default Day two with the new kitties

"Laura R." wrote in message
.. .
So, that's day two of the smoothest cat introduction I've ever seen.

Laura

It sounds like things are going quite well. In reading the accounts of
introductions others have posted, some have gone for the isolation approach
right away seemingly in abscence of any behavior that would require it. I've
always just introduced a newcomer like you have - make them part of the
environment and let the adjustments occur at their own pace. As long as the
various cats have a space to retreat to things have a way of working out.
Congrats on the additions!

When Sammy first came here, Cassie would hiss, spit and run off. Eventually
Sammy took it as a personal challenge and would follow Cassie around just to
annoy her. The relationship turned a corner one night when Cassie hid beside
my son's desk and peeked out once in a while to observe Sammy. Sammy snuck
into the room and worked her way into a position under the desk on the
opposite side of the divider from Cassie. They took turns peeking around the
divider at each other. Finally Cassie let the tip of her tail stick out and
Sammy swatted at it. Cassie swatted back. Whatever aggression there was
rapidly dissolved into entertainment and a playful slap boxing match ensued.
The barriers came down and they freely interacted with each other from that
point on.

Old June 26th 04, 03:10 PM

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 11:20:10 GMT, "RobZip"
wrote:

"Laura R." wrote in message
. ..
[...]

In my case it happened when the older cat came in an went to the
bathroom in the new cat's litter box. The new cat did not like it too
much so he went to the bathroom in the established cat's litter box.
They have been buddies ever since that day.

Old June 26th 04, 05:51 PM
Mary

"Laura R." wrote in message
.. .
Well, Jacob still rules this roost, old and creaky and CRF-y or not.
:-)

What a cutie! You can tell that whatever you are doing for him is keeping
him feeling good. I'm glad to hear that.

Natasha apparently decided that it would be fun to
play with Camille and went charging after Camille when Camille was going

'round one of the sofas.

Typical feline! All is going swimmingly so she tests her limits to see if
she can gain the upper hand! She sounds like she is adjusting beautifully.
Tell me, when Jacob rushed over there, did he hiss or growl or just stand
and look at them?

Whenever Oscar sees Camille when he's walking around, he stops and waits

to see if he garners any hissing- not because he cares if Camille hisses at
him, but because until he gets close enough to be sure, he can't tell the
difference between Natasha and Camille. Once he figures out that it's
Camille, he walks right by.

Aww! Is this normal cat nearsightedness or is Oscar having trouble with his
eyes?

Old June 26th 04, 08:08 PM
m. L. Briggs

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 17:48:26 GMT, Laura R.
wrote:

circa Sat, 26 Jun 2004 16:51:07 GMT, in rec.pets.cats.health+behav,
Mary ) said,

"Laura R." wrote in message
.. .
Well, Jacob still rules this roost, old and creaky and CRF-y or not.
:-)

What a cutie! You can tell that whatever you are doing for him is keeping
him feeling good. I'm glad to hear that.

Yeah, he's my first baby (first cat I got as an adult out on my own),
and having had him all these years, I am pretty good at predicting
how he's going to act in a given situation. I thought he'd still end
up being King Kitty, and darned if he isn't. :-)

Natasha apparently decided that it would be fun to
play with Camille and went charging after Camille when Camille was going

'round one of the sofas.

Typical feline! All is going swimmingly so she tests her limits to see if
she can gain the upper hand!

Completely! She and Camille seem to be working out which one of them
gets to be the house girlie. Camille is not giving up the position
easily. With any luck, they'll work out a job sharing arrangement.

She sounds like she is adjusting beautifully.

Beyond words. If you were to walk into my house, you'd think she had
always been here. I've not seen anything like it. Last night as I was
soaking my feet in the tub (I got to take my bandages off, FINALLY),
Natasha sat on the edge of the tub watching the water in fascination
while Jacob, Oscar and Camille sat next to the tub chirping at me as
they do whenever I'm bathing. You'd never know that she is the "new
kitty".

Tell me, when Jacob rushed over there, did he hiss or growl or just stand
and look at them?

Heh. He did what he always does when he is breaking up a fight, and
it is toooo cute. He rushes over, comes to a stop between the two
cats and then raises a paw at the aggressor. That's it. No hissing,
no growling, just a raised paw as if to say, "okay, break it up.
That's enough. Nothing to see here." It always worked on Alex, and it
worked last night, too. I swear he's a little person sometimes. :-)

Whenever Oscar sees Camille when he's walking around, he stops and waits

to see if he garners any hissing- not because he cares if Camille hisses at
him, but because until he gets close enough to be sure, he can't tell the
difference between Natasha and Camille. Once he figures out that it's
Camille, he walks right by.

Aww! Is this normal cat nearsightedness or is Oscar having trouble with his
eyes?

No, Oscar just isn't very smart. G

Seriously, it's not a vision problem. You can see the little gears
working in his head. "Oh, hi Camille! Wait...what if that isn't
Camille? What if it is that new girl? That new girl might hiss at me
if I run up to her and wrap my paw around her neck and lick her head
like I do to Camille. I think I'll walk really slowly...ope, that's
Camille. Yeah, I knew that all along. Uh huh. I wasn't fooled. Not
me. Nuh uh. I think I'll just walk by like I didn't even notice she
was there..."

He can see a laser pointer dot at twenty yards, so I know his vision
is good. It's his intelligence that I sometimes wonder about. ;-)

Laura

From what I have read, it is the close vision cats have trouble with..
and it is better at a distance -- especially movement. (I hope I know
what I am talking about).

Old June 26th 04, 10:52 PM
MacCandace

These two were obviously very well-loved, and I think that is
probably the biggest part of why they're adjusting so well. They're
sweet, sweet kitties.

Laura

Laura, I either missed the very beginnings of when you were contemplating
adopting Jack and Natasha or I spaced it out completely, but can you refresh my
memory as to why their former mom had to get rid of them? Is she the one
moving to London and didn't want to have to quarantine them? If so, she must
have been very sad to leave them even though they now have a wonderful home.

Candace
(take the litter out before replying by e-mail)

See my cats:
http://photos.yahoo.com/maccandace

"One does not meet oneself until one catches the reflection from an eye other
than human." (Loren Eisely)