Kitty claws at carpeting, HELP!

Old November 23rd 03, 05:19 PM
HereKitty

Default Kitty claws at carpeting, HELP!

OUr 3 1/2 yr old female cat will have nothing to do with the scratching post, instead loves to pull at the couch corner or tug on our new carpeting.This is even after having her nails clipped.We can't babysit her all day. We're told she's too old to get declawed, any suggestions??

Old November 23rd 03, 10:44 PM
Suzie-Q

HereKitty wrote:

OUr 3 1/2 yr old female cat will have nothing to do with the scratching post, instead loves to pull at the couch corner or tug on our new carpeting.This is even after having her nails clipped.We can't babysit her all day. We're told she's too old to get declawed, any suggestions??

I have a couple of cats that like to do that. I got a can of that
Carpet Fresh No Vacuum Foam Carpet Refresher. Since they hate the
smell, I can spray a little where they like to play with the carpet
and they'll leave it alone.

8^)~~~ Sue (remove the x to e-mail)
~~~~~~

http://www.suzanne-eckhardt.com/
http://www.intergnat.com/malebashing/

Old November 23rd 03, 10:54 PM
Bob Brenchley.

On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 10:19:43 -0600, "HereKitty"
wrote:

OUr 3 1/2 yr old female cat will have nothing to do with the scratching post, instead loves to pull at the couch corner or tug on our new carpeting.This is even after having her nails clipped.We can't babysit her all day. We're told she's too old to get declawed, any suggestions??

Some cats like to claw on a horizontal surface, mine love the fallen
tree in the garden for just this reason. We also have an old rug in
the back room that they are free to claw if the want.

--
Bob.

A cat without claws is the result of a vet without scruples.

Old November 24th 03, 03:11 AM
Kalyahna

"HereKitty" wrote in message
lkaboutpets.com...
OUr 3 1/2 yr old female cat will have nothing to do with the scratching

post, instead loves to pull at the couch corner or tug on our new
carpeting.This is even after having her nails clipped.We can't babysit her
all day. We're told she's too old to get declawed, any suggestions??

You can try Soft Paws, which are just plastic tips that glue onto the nail
to form, basically, a very dull nail that won't really catch on anything.
You can try one of those cheapie cardboard floor scratchers (especially if
your kitty likes catnip) and place it over the carpeting where she seems to
enjoy scratching most. For your couch, you can try double-sided tape in the
spots she scratches. Cats tend to hate the sticky sensation, and she should
stop quickly.

You can also ask your vet to recommend a behaviorist in your area (very few
vets are trained in behavior themselves), or speak to someone at your local
humane society who has cat experience.

Old November 24th 03, 04:12 AM
Wendy

we had a carpet scratcher too. Wish I knew then what I do now. Here's a link
that might give you some ideas.
http://www.catscratching.com/

One of our cats went to town on the stereo speaker. The sticky tape and a
cat tree did the job. The cat tree has upright areas wrapped in sisal rope
and that's where she likes to scratch now. I sprayed it generously with
catnip spray. Don't know if that helped or not. We also located the tree
close to where she was doing the scratching in case location had something
to do with the scratching. She's even started using an old scratching post
we had.

Good luck!

Wendy

lkaboutpets.com...

Old November 24th 03, 11:29 AM
Linda Terrell

On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 16:19:43 UTC, "HereKitty"
wrote:

OUr 3 1/2 yr old female cat will have nothing to do with the scratching post, instead loves to pull at the couch corner or tug on our new carpeting.This is even after having her nails clipped.We can't babysit her all day. We're told she's too old to get declawed, any suggestions??

well, as some cats like to claw horizontal,
try tipping the scratching post over.

LT