Help needed

Old May 22nd 04, 12:11 PM
W. Leong

Default Help needed

My 9 year old cat Rusty has been pooping watery stool on the floor.
He was diagnosed with colitis by the vet. over a week ago and was given a
shot of Tribrissen 24%. Rusty was also put on 7 days of S-125 pills. I think
it is an antibiotic. He has finished the pills on Tuesday.
There are some improvements but he is still leaving watery poops on the
floor every 2 or 3 days (it used to be every day) while still using the
litter box. There are normal looking stool in the box also. I will try to
talk to the vet today before the long weekend to decide what to do.

Meantime, I am getting very worried about the vet bills. I have been out of
work for 2 years and am living on my savings. I have exhausted unemployment
insurance. I have health problems
of my own and have to pay out of pocket medical bills which the government
health insurance
doesn't covered.
I also have ringworm recently and that has been cleared up. Rusty was tested
for ringworm
and he was negative. He was kept in isolation while I waited for the test
results from the lab,
and to make sure I didn't pass ringworm to him.

Rusty is also on costly prescription food. He has a history of urinary
blockage but no problem on that regard for some time now. Many people are
telling me to put him to sleep.
I know I probably should as I can ill afford the mounting vet bills and his
prescription food.
I already spent about $300 on him since April and that doesn't even include
his food.
But I have Rusty for almost 8 years and it is difficult to say good bye. He
has no obvious
signs of distress and doesn't look to be suffering.

Any suggestion and advice would be greatly appreciated.

--
Winnie

Old May 22nd 04, 12:55 PM
jmcquown

W. Leong wrote:
My 9 year old cat Rusty has been pooping watery stool on the floor.
He was diagnosed with colitis by the vet. over a week ago and was
given a shot of Tribrissen 24%. Rusty was also put on 7 days of S-125
pills. I think it is an antibiotic. He has finished the pills on
Tuesday.
There are some improvements but he is still leaving watery poops on
the floor every 2 or 3 days (it used to be every day) while still
using the litter box. There are normal looking stool in the box also.
I will try to talk to the vet today before the long weekend to decide
what to do.

Meantime, I am getting very worried about the vet bills.

(snip)
Any suggestion and advice would be greatly appreciated.

I am very sorry to hear of your predicament; it's all too common these days.
I would NOT put the cat to sleep! Talk with the vet to see about some sort
of payment plan. Most of them are very sympathetic about such plights and
want the cat to be cared for regardless. If not, perhaps another vet would
be less costly (ditto the payment plan). Good luck and purrs through all of
it.

Jill

Old May 22nd 04, 06:15 PM
polonca12000

Lots of purrs and best wishes for you to find a vet who will be prepared to
help you,
--
Polonca & Soncek

.. .

Old May 22nd 04, 06:48 PM
James Marz

"jmcquown" wrote in message ...
W. Leong wrote:
[...]

Put the cat to sleep. It is in pain, it deserves the peace, it has
pleased you, now you have to do the right thing and let it go to the
big litter box in the sky. Sad but true.

James

Old May 22nd 04, 07:35 PM
SpamTrap

W. Leong said:
My 9 year old cat Rusty has been pooping watery stool on the floor.
He was diagnosed with colitis by the vet. over a week ago and was given a
shot of Tribrissen 24%. Rusty was also put on 7 days of S-125 pills. I think
it is an antibiotic. He has finished the pills on Tuesday.
There are some improvements but he is still leaving watery poops on the
floor every 2 or 3 days (it used to be every day) while still using the
litter box. There are normal looking stool in the box also. I will try to
talk to the vet today before the long weekend to decide what to do.

Here are my suggestions:

1. Ask about a payment plan as others have suggested.
2. How is he eating? I would let him eat pretty much at his will as long
as he is eating.
3. Get probiotics from a petfood store - one is called Benebac. This is
beneficial bacteria which can restore the bacterial balance in his system.
4. keep his food and water bowls super clean if you don't already.
5. Keep his litter box cleaned out, change the litter frequently, and
wash the box every so often.
6. If it continues ask your vet about an anti-bacterial agent to give
him. One is called Flagyl or Metronidazole. My male cat had full fledged
diarrhea and with a few days of being on Flagyl the diarrhea slowed and
then stopped.

Good luck and I hope he gets better soon.

rrb

Old May 22nd 04, 08:19 PM
W. Leong

Thanks for all the suggestions and purrs.
I just got back from the vet. I took the watery stool for him to look at.
He said Rusty has globs of fur in his stool. I am to start hair ball
remedy on him plus canned pumpkin for fiber. He didn't charge me
for the stool exam which he did between his other patients' appt.
He said we may have to shave Rutsy if things don't improve. The ingested
fur is irritating his colon. I asked him about yogurt, but he didn't think
that
will help.
After I got home, I remembered the vet told me years ago that fresh squeezed
pineapple
juice is good for hairball. I happened to have some fresh pineapple at home,
so I just
added the juice to Rusty's food.
It is a relief to figure out the cause of the problem. The vet said some
cats groom themselves
excessively when under stress. I know I am under a lot of stress and anxiety
lately, so Rusty
may have been feeling the stress from me.
Sometimes I could hear sucking sound when Rusty groomed himself. I better
stop telling him that he may have to go to the Rainbow Bridge. He is alert
and has no sign of suffering..
I will step up the brushing to lessen the amount of fur he ingest.

I am looking for a job, but no luck so far. I am in my 50's, and I guess
many employers
like to hire younger people. There are lots of unemployed former hi-tech
people in town like me who are job hunting not only for professional jobs,
but survival jobs.
The job market definitely is not good despite the unemployment figures.
I am counting the days when I will be old enough to collect a small pension.

Again thanks for all your suggestions and advice. Really appreciate them.

Winnie