About a d-thing, and Animal Control

Old January 16th 09, 12:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Will in New Haven

Default About a d-thing, and Animal Control

On Jan 15, 6:23*pm, Sherry wrote:
On Jan 14, 8:25*pm, Will in New Haven

wrote:
On Jan 14, 3:27*pm, hopitus wrote:

On Jan 13, 6:31 am, Jane wrote:

Well, as per normal in an apartment complex, the neighbors have been
changing. *Downstairs I now have a couple of young 20-somethings.
Guys. *I met them when I was going downstairs to do laundry, and this
teeny-weeny mottled tan puppy stumbled out of the door. *OMG she was
adorable! *About the size of my hand. *They told me that her name was
Diamond and she was 7 weeks old. *She's a pit bull.

This was a month or so ago. * Since then I have finally found out what
pot smelled like, because the hallway is filled with the smoke at
least once a week. *Oh joy.

Then last saturday I heard a puppy yelling. *Not barking, but yelping
as if in pain. *The sound went out the door and up and down the
sidewalk, but I couldn't see anything out the window. * It happened
again last night, and this time I called the police. They gave me a
couple of numbers for Animal Control, and we did some serious
talking. *The lady couldn't get someone to come out last night, and
she couldn't (I told her not to, because people get shot around here),
but someone is coming to check on the dog tomorrow.

I'm worried about that puppy. Next time I hear that horrible noise,
I'll put on some clothes and go check it out, but at least Animal
Control knows about it now. *I just hope they have the sense to not
tell the guys who reported them. *Like I said, people get shot in this
complex.

Jane
- owned and operated by the Princess Rita

I know someone who lives right in your town and *he* sure knows what
pot smells like; do you have sinus trouble? Go to a ball game once in
awhile in the City; they smoke it right in the stadium there, LOL.
Helpful hint: In the two larger cities where I live now, pit bulls are
and
have been outlawed for several years now, and the cops will come right
out and confiscate any if you report your neighbor as having any. my
friend lives where you do only because he inherited a condo there; we
both like Baltimore tons better. Could pit bull breed be banned in
your
town? That's a solution and the cops here do NOT tell the owner who
reported them.

And telling what dogs are pits and what dogs are boxers or American
bulldogs is something you trust the cops to do. And you know that pit
bulls are EVUL because?

Some years ago, there were hysterical people who worried about the
horrible Doberman Pinschers. Before that it was the German Shephherd
and before that it was the Collie.

That's hard to believe.We had several Collies when I was a kid. They
may
have had a reputation for being incessant barkers and maybe even a
little neurotic
when people have them who don't understand them. (vacuum cleaner
chasing; weedeater
chasing, etc.). *But "horrible" in the same fashion in the Doberman/
Pit Bull hysteria? When
was that?

Even before MY time. The 1920s. About the same time as the Collie was,
by other people, being lionized and called the best breed.

--
Will in New Haven

Old January 16th 09, 12:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Will in New Haven

On Jan 15, 6:39*pm, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER
wrote:
wrote in message

Will in New Haven wrote:

Pitts have actually changed greatly in recent decades. In the bad old
days they were thirty or forty pound dogs and not very human-
aggressive at all. Both of these had to do with the way pitt-fighting
was done.

Those were the bad old days? When they were smaller and not aggressive
toward humans? If that was bad, what do we have now?

--
Joyce * ^..^

My mother used to talk about a pit bull her brother had as a youngster (so I
am going back *many* years with this). *The dog was smaller, swee-tempered,
and very family-oriented. *Mother used to say that it was criminal to see
what breeders had done to that type of dog.

And, no, definitely *not* the "bad old days" in terms of pit bull
characteristics.

One of the dogs James Thurber wrote about so humerously was a Pitt.
Another was an Airedale. The terrier comes across as fiercer, albeit
in a merry sort of way. I think Thurber had both breeds down very
well.

--
Will in New Haven
Old January 16th 09, 12:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

On Jan 13, 6:31 am, Jane wrote:

[...]

Sherry

I don't remember that, either. I remember similar tales about Doberman
pinschers and German shepherds, but collies have been considered good family
dogs for as long as I can remember. In fact, we had three collies (one at a
time) as our family pets when I was growing up. In a burst of real
creativity, we named them Lassie, Lassie II, and Lassie III (so it's
fortunate that we didn't have more than one at the same time).

MaryL

Old January 16th 09, 12:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Will in New Haven

On Jan 13, 6:31 am, Jane wrote:

[...]

When I was about eight and my brother was about six we had neighbors
up the street with two big fluffy collies. They were beautiful dogs.
The teenage girl in that family was really trying to convince us that
they were both named Lassie but her mom laughed during her explanation
and broke the spell.

They were named Princess and Lassie.

The Collie hysteria was a looong time ago.

--
Will in New Haven
Old January 16th 09, 01:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin - bogus address

Some years ago, there were hysterical people who worried about the
horrible Doberman Pinschers. Before that it was the German Shephherd
and before that it was the Collie.

That's hard to believe.We had several Collies when I was a kid. They
may have had a reputation for being incessant barkers and maybe even
a little neurotic when people have them who don't understand them.
(vacuum cleaner chasing; weedeater chasing, etc.). But "horrible" in
the same fashion in the Doberman/Pit Bull hysteria? When was that?

I don't know about their reputation, but the only time I've ever been
attacked by a dog it was a pack of collies. (Walking on Skye - they
belonged to a farmer. I got off okay, the person I was walking with
got a neat set of doggy teeth indentations in her bum).

==== j a c k at c a m p i n . m e . u k === http://www.campin.me.uk ====
Old January 16th 09, 01:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Will in New Haven

On Jan 13, 6:31 am, Jane wrote:

[...]

Pitts are _dogs_ just dogs.
And the Gestapo didn't tell on tattle-tales either.
Will in New Haven- Hide quoted text -

Unlike some of you "analysts" here of dog behavior (analyze away as
to the "whys" of vicious behavior, I can report - as usual from RL,
not
nostalgic prose and personal opinions - that the reason for pit bulls
being legally "banned" from ownership/harboring in MileHigh and its
surrounding 'burbs...even a city as far away as Colorado Springs...
is that several adults and one very unfortunate 10-year-old boy, met
pit bulls to their resultant injury, said pit bulls having no "fight
training"
whatsoever, being household pets - had a lot to do with these
happenings,
and this *just in the four years I've lived here*). Our Gestapo
reacted to
public outrage (the legislators- this ain't south FL where 3/4ths of
the
population is from Up North or NY - passed laws forbidding ownership
or even caring for pit bulls - breed named) as the child has had many
plastic surgery procedures since then and faces a lifetime of many
more, as the pit bull that crawled under the fence around and into
child's
backyard where he was playing chewed and removed much of his face.
You can google the whole thing, plus other instances, of this most
distressing occurrence. Horrible enough? On with the dog nostalgia.
Cats rule. Pardon my irreverence.

In many cases, I don't know about Colorado, "dangerous breed" laws
have been passed in reaction to horrible things done by dogs that were
NOT of the breed outlawed. Given the widespread ignorance about dogs,
coupled with the fact that the average person thinks he or she knows
all about them, this is a very predictable result.

Chows bite a ton of people. Akitas bite a lot of people.People kill a
lot of dogs. I'd rather outlaw people.

--
Will in New Haven
Old January 16th 09, 03:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
James Weston

"Jack Campin - bogus address" wrote in message I
don't think I've ever seen a human and their pet so
devoted to each other.

Sounds a little twisted. Hope there wasn't any funny business going on
there.

Old January 16th 09, 03:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"Sherry" wrote in message news:bb30b8e1-

That's hard to believe.We had several Collies when I was a kid. They
may
have had a reputation for being incessant barkers and maybe even a
little neurotic
when people have them who don't understand them. (vacuum cleaner
chasing; weedeater
chasing, etc.). But "horrible" in the same fashion in the Doberman/
Pit Bull hysteria? When
was that?

***************

Bad mannered collies of all types are biters. Worse, they are sneaky
biters. They will appear to cower and get behind you and go for your
ankles and lower legs.

Mix in some terrier and you have a problem.

Jo

Old January 16th 09, 04:58 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Jan 15, 7:30�pm, Jack Campin - bogus address
wrote:
Some years ago, there were hysterical people who worried about the
horrible Doberman Pinschers. Before that it was the German Shephherd
and before that it was the Collie.

That's hard to believe.We had several Collies when I was a kid. They
may have had a reputation for being incessant barkers and maybe even
a little neurotic when people have them who don't understand them.
(vacuum cleaner chasing; weedeater chasing, etc.). �But "horrible" in
the same fashion in the Doberman/Pit Bull hysteria? When was that?

I don't know about their reputation, but the only time I've ever been
attacked by a dog it was a pack of collies. �(Walking on Skye - they
belonged to a farmer. �I got off okay, the person I was walking with
got a neat set of doggy teeth indentations in her bum).

Maybe they were just trying to herd you. :-)

Sherry

==== j a c k �at �c a m p i n . m e . u k �=== �http://www.campin.me.uk ====
CD-ROMs and free stuff: �Scottish music, food intolerance, and Mac logic fonts

Old January 16th 09, 05:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Jan 15, 8:13�pm, hopitus wrote:
On Jan 15, 6:52 pm, Will in New Haven

On Jan 13, 6:31 am, Jane wrote:

[...]

I loved my Akita, 130# of pure love and devotion to me. He never
barked
(a breed characteristic) and I never saw him in a vicious mode with
about
3 exceptions where he thought, from other hoomins' loud voices, or
their
getting right in my face, that his Mama faced a threat: *then* and
only
then, Shas became a snarling black ball of teeth and fury. He never
bit anyone, just showed my "threats" that they'd have to go through
*him* to do me any (perceived by him) harm.- Hide quoted text -

Heh.Our dachshund bit anyone, anytime he got half a chance. Well, not
immediate family. The last time I took him for a rabies vax, the vet
called
it his "biting license." That dog was never trained to be a watchdog.
He was
just a little weinerdog badass. But like your Akita, he was
particularly viscious
when he was between me, and someone he didn't know.
Doxies are tough little guys. Somewhere in his genetic map, he
remembered he
was built for whipping badgers.

Sherry

Sherry