Side effect of Royal Canin?

Old November 25th 06, 12:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

Default Side effect of Royal Canin?

Hi all

As I mentioned some weeks ago a vet near the hospital where Dave is
incarcerated offered me some samples of Royal Canin. It seemed to go
down well and when I realised I was almost out of dry and happened to
be walking past the same vets I got a 1.5 kilo bag of the stuff.

I'm now curious as to what it must taste like (Not curious enough to
eat it myself through!) and wondering if it tastes bland or maybe it's
just that it's a big bag and it would appear there's only one flavour
or is it just that the vet only carries one flavour?

Ever since the Fabulous Furballs were kittens I've been like my mum
saying "Wet food is best, eat it because I know it's good for you" and
they've been like kids saying "We don't care that it's good for us we
want dry it tastes better"

Now after a few weeks of Royal Canin they've taken to scarfing down wet
food as if there is no tomorrow! Perhaps because it tastes better or
its a bit more variety I don't know.

Not complaining through....

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Old November 25th 06, 03:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Lesley wrote:
[...]

I think cats do like variety. A lot of times I buy a sample-sized bag
of a new kind, and they always scarf it down. Then if I buy the big
bag, they don't go after it so well. I've heard you're supposed to
stick with the same kind of food to avoid stomache upset. I really
think they get tired of it. Boots is like your Furballs. She's a
dry-food girl, and it's hard to get her to eat anything else.

Sherry

Old November 25th 06, 08:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jo Firey

"Lesley" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

No idea. But on Thanksgiving the slave of the food (DH) fell behind on his
duties to mix several flavors of dry food into one large container. I
prefer to feed the cats Nutro and it comes in four or five flavors. Lamb,
chicken, tune, halibut, lobster, etc. DH was convinced that they liked
Delicat, a commercial brand that includes lots of shapes and flavors better.
So he would mix part Delicat and part Nutro. Well on Thanksgiving he put
straight Delicat into the masters food bowl. They refused to eat it!
Complained loudly. Went searching the cupboards for something better. Came
to our bed at night to ask for improved rations. They even ate a couple of
cans of wet food in desperation!

I think even one very dense slave finally got the message.

Kayla of course will eat anything. Only trick with her is keeping her from
helping herself to things that might hurt her.

Jo

Old November 25th 06, 11:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Shirley

"Lesley" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi all

As I mentioned some weeks ago a vet near the hospital where Dave is
incarcerated offered me some samples of Royal Canin. It seemed to go
down well and when I realised I was almost out of dry and happened
be walking past the same vets I got a 1.5 kilo bag of the stuff.

I'm now curious as to what it must taste like (Not curious enough to
eat it myself through!) and wondering if it tastes bland or maybe
it's
just that it's a big bag and it would appear there's only one
flavour
or is it just that the vet only carries one flavour?

There are lots of different flavours/types, mine like Sensitive 33
best but will turn their collective noses up at Active Outdoors.
Another brand mine like is James Welbeloved (made by the same people
as Royal Canin).

Ever since the Fabulous Furballs were kittens I've been like my mum
saying "Wet food is best, eat it because I know it's good for you"
and
they've been like kids saying "We don't care that it's good for us
we
want dry it tastes better"

Now after a few weeks of Royal Canin they've taken to scarfing down
wet
food as if there is no tomorrow! Perhaps because it tastes better or
its a bit more variety I don't know.

For some reason my lot have gone off of Felix and Whiskas and have
developed a taste for Asda's own brand and Kit-e-Kat.....not that I'm
complaining either as they are less expensive.

--
Shirley
http://community.webshots.com/user/shirleycatuk

Old November 26th 06, 03:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Enfilade

I'm now curious as to what it must taste like (Not curious enough to
eat it myself through!) and wondering if it tastes bland or maybe
it's
just that it's a big bag and it would appear there's only one
flavour
or is it just that the vet only carries one flavour?

I've heard that dry food gets stale fairly quickly, so when I buy a big
bag, I always seal it up with a clip after scooping out the day's
servings.

Ours goes fairly quickly with 4 cats, but every so often halfway
through a bag Kumani decides not to eat that kind any more and I have
to go buy another bag or else she will starve herself (one time for
days before we came home and found out). Then we serve a bowl of each
until it is gone.

--Fil

Old November 26th 06, 05:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Baha via CatKB.com

Could be worse...

We got a free sack of Royal Canin once as part of Petco's adoption packet. We
had recently been acquired by Roxie, and were also fostering Brian (who is
living happily ever after in the UK.)

The cats ripped into it in more ways than one. Ladylike Roxie developed a
case of the rampaging farts that would have been the envy of any beer-
swilling, bean-scarfing cowboy on the set of "Blazing Saddles."

Blessed be,
Baha

Old November 26th 06, 12:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

Baha via CatKB.com wrote:

The cats ripped into it in more ways than one. Ladylike Roxie developed a
case of the rampaging farts that would have been the envy of any beer-
swilling, bean-scarfing cowboy on the set of "Blazing Saddles."

At least it wasn't Odessa (Correct me if I am wrong but isn't she one
of your owners?). The tale of how her superb control over the output of
intestinal gasses turned the vet green had me ROFLOL which got me some
strange looks as I was reading it at work!

Old November 29th 06, 07:06 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Baha via CatKB.com

Odessa is indeed one of our owners, and how well I remember the day she blew
another hole into the ozone layer at the vet's office! She's not usually one
to drop that kind of F-Bomb randomly though; Odessa has the best controlled
aim, but Brandy remains the Ambassador of Methane in the family. When we had
the Royal Canin we just had Stosh and Roxie and Brian, and Roxie is just so
prim and proper it still is hard to imagine that she'd go about farting like
a frat boy after a breakfast of beer and Cheerios!

Blessed be,
Baha