Help..my cat is freaking out and it's scaring the heck out of me!

Old February 11th 07, 07:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Kimiko-Nami

Default Help..my cat is freaking out and it's scaring the heck out of me!

My cat is blind, and therefore, when she freaks out, she doesn't know what
she's attacking, where she's attacking, and probably even why! She just
started and is freaking out as I type! She's done it before and when it
happens, it lasts for about a week. A long time of no sleep. Right now, she
is in the hallway, growling at shadows on the wall, and attacking, hissing
and growling at her own tail. When you walk by her, she hisses and growls,
then attacks. Luckily though she is declawed, so her attacks don't hurt. I
fear for her life. I fear she may have a heart attack and die.

When I mean by freaking out I mean that, she will attack at nothing, the
slightest touch on her fur will set her smacking your hand or face. (She does
not bite though) She growls and hisses for no reason, even when there is
nothing moving, if she runs into something, she will get fiercly upset and
start 'beating up' the furniture or wall, eventually falling and then batting
at the air. She gets quite scary even though she cannot hurt us. I don't know
what to do, setting her in a quiet room in the dark or light even with
calming music or none at all doesn't help. Throwing a blanket over her does
not help ( I heard it did that's why we tried) Locking her in my dogs kennel
(without the dog inside w/ her) but around us doesn't help, and her roaming
about so she can get calmer and used to her surroundings again doesn't help.
Nothing seems to help. What can i do? I've had her for many years and she is
very important to me. Can anyone help?

Old February 11th 07, 07:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Rhonda

It does sound like something medical, in addition to her blindness,
could be wrong with her. I think she needs a vet visit too. She could be
in pain. Some cats will act out when when in pain and being blind is
probably doubly scary for her. She could be losing her hearing or any
number of things that frighten her or make her feel more defenseless.

I hope you can find the cause and help her get settled down. It doesn't
sound like just reassurance is helping her.

Let us know what happens,

Rhonda

Old February 11th 07, 08:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Kimiko-Nami

Thank you for your responce, and i think you may be right..te only problem is,
is I have to wait when she gets better in order for us to tke her anywhere.
She will not allow us to pick her up or even try to get her anywhere.
It's also really bad because she does not eat, drink or go to the bathroom
when she is like this. It gets pretty serious.
She does have a vet appointment on Tue, maybe we can mention her problem then.
I never thought about what you said about her maybe hurting or losing hearing
and etc. that sounds like a good explination. Thank you both for your advices.
I appreciate it..

(If anyone else can help, please do)

Rhonda wrote:
It does sound like something medical, in addition to her blindness,
could be wrong with her. I think she needs a vet visit too. She could be
in pain. Some cats will act out when when in pain and being blind is
probably doubly scary for her. She could be losing her hearing or any
number of things that frighten her or make her feel more defenseless.

I hope you can find the cause and help her get settled down. It doesn't
sound like just reassurance is helping her.

Let us know what happens,

Rhonda

sounds like she needs a vet visit sounds like some medication will be
needed

[quoted text clipped - 30 lines]

Old February 11th 07, 09:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Captain Bob

On Sun, 11 Feb 2007 08:11:52 GMT
"Kimiko-Nami" u31661@uwe wrote:

(If anyone else can help, please do)

When Tania gets very upset at something, we put some "Rescue
Remedy" [ http://www.entirelypets.com/bachmain...FRgXgQodVWXzpw ]
on her paws. After a few minutes of her cleaning it off, she is quite a
bit calmer.

Good luck!

Bob

--
/"\
\ / ASCII Ribbon Campaign - Motor Vessel Tamara B

Old February 11th 07, 10:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Kimiko-Nami

Hmm, sounds like a good plan to me! I'll do anything to keep her calm. Thank
you for the suggestion and the link. I'll try it out.

Old February 11th 07, 02:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Louis

[...]

Sounds like she is afraid and angry about her situation. I think you should
calmly/firmly/lovingly explain to her what is going on and what you expect
from her. Tell her you understand she is frightened and feeling bad. Ask
her what she wants. Communicate at a conscious level. Get in touch with
her feelings as well as your own. Also consider what is going on in your
own life, as animals often reflect what is going on with their owners. Has
there been any big changes or events lately? Is there some bottled up anger
that you have?

Regards,
Louis

Old February 11th 07, 03:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Stick Waver

Kimiko-Nami wrote:

Thank you for your responce, and i think you may be right..te only problem is,
is I have to wait when she gets better in order for us to tke her anywhere.
She will not allow us to pick her up or even try to get her anywhere.

Have you tried throwing a towel over her and scooping her up?

Old February 11th 07, 05:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bookie

On 11 Feb, 07:08, "Kimiko-Nami" u31661@uwe wrote:
[...]

a trip to the vets is in order i think, how old is she? maybe she is
having some kind of seizure or small scale stroke (sorry i do not mean
to scare you) which could explain the freaky behaviour, it may be
treatable by medication, anti-seizure drugs possibly.

have you tried also using a feliway diffuser in your house? if it is
that she is just frightened and there are no real neurological
problems going on then a feliway diffuser may help to calm her down
along with the other suggestions people have put here (rescue remedy
etc).

first thing though is to take her to a vets and make sure they giev
her a thorough check over, ask if they think she may have developed
some sort of neurological problem.

best of luck, bookie

Old February 11th 07, 05:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Tara Legale

As a cat owner for many years, but never having a blind cat, I have a
question. Can a blind cat have a good quality of life?