Abelard's in luv.

Old January 29th 07, 01:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Susan M

Default Abelard's in luv.

"Sherry" wrote in message
ups.com...
I've heard about neutered cats doing this. It's more about dominance
than mating though, or from what I've read.

Otis does this to Chester at least 3 times a day and it's clearly dominance
related. He does it when Chester is having too much fun or getting to close
to his meowmie.

Susan M
Otis and Chester

Old January 29th 07, 03:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Jan 28, 4:57�pm, "Jo Firey" wrote:
"Pat" wrote in messagenews:PP6dnfrFT6NThCDYnZ2dnUVZ_v6tnZ2d@centu rytel.net...

"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote

Were they both fully descended, when he had his surgery? (If one remains
inside, I have the impression a male cat may still be functional, but
sterile.)

Yeah, they were both removed. He got neutered later than planned because
he was sick at the time. He was going to go with Tommy and Eli (both
several months older than Abelard) but we had to wait due to his illness,
the vet said.Neutering doesn't get rid of all the hormones. *(Thank you God)

Boy cats still display masculine behavior and girl cats are still girls.
Just not to the exclusion of everything else.

Getting neutered late does seem to increase sex related behaviors. *Little
Molly is definitely a momma cat in her behavior just from the imprint the
experience left on her, even without the equipment to reproduce again.

Jo

Castrating eliminates production of hormones, though. Males might
still spray, but that's territory-marking behavior, not sexual
behavior. Female cats really shouldn't show any sexual behavior
either. Thank God. I only had one cat I let go into heat before
spaying, and that was Biskit. That was disgusting. She's still a girly-
cat of course. But Frank acts like a girly-cat, too. When they're
neutered as kittens, I don't think they really know what they are.

Sherry

Old January 30th 07, 08:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Sherry wrote:

Castrating eliminates production of hormones, though. Males might
still spray, but that's territory-marking behavior, not sexual
behavior. Female cats really shouldn't show any sexual behavior
either. Thank God. I only had one cat I let go into heat before
spaying, and that was Biskit. That was disgusting.

Noisy, maybe (they DO try to make sure the entire world
knows they're "in the mood"), but why would you call it
"disgusting"?
Old January 30th 07, 09:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Sherry wrote:

Castrating eliminates production of hormones, though. Males might
still spray, but that's territory-marking behavior, not sexual
behavior. Female cats really shouldn't show any sexual behavior
either. Thank God. I only had one cat I let go into heat before
spaying, and that was Biskit. That was disgusting.

Noisy, maybe (they DO try to make sure the entire world
knows they're "in the mood"), but why would you call it
"disgusting"?

I've never found a cat in heat disgusting, but it would really pain me
to hear them crying so insistently, so pitifully. Poor things! And aside
from feeling bad for the kitty, there's just the plain irritation
factor - a whole lotta very annoying noise, as you mention.

I suspect there's still a lot about feline sexuality (or any mammal's,
in fact, including humans) that we don't fully understand. Neutering
may obliterate their need to reproduce, but sexual urges, even in
non-human mammals, probably include more than just reproduction. So
even if most of their sexual drives and behaviors are eliminated by
neutering, they might still retain some of the behaviors, and even
some of the motivations.

Some behaviors might be learned, rather than instinctual. As a kid,
I had a dog who was neutered at a young age, but who still liked to
hump people's legs. The interesting part was that this dog was female.
I'm sure this must have been a learned behavior - why would she have
an instinct to do this?

Joyce
Old January 30th 07, 11:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Jan 30, 2:33?pm, "EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)"
wrote:
Sherry wrote:
Castrating eliminates production of hormones, though. Males might
still spray, but that's territory-marking behavior, not sexual
behavior. Female cats really shouldn't show any sexual behavior
either. Thank God. I only had one cat I let go into heat before
spaying, and that was Biskit. That was disgusting.

Noisy, maybe (they DO try to make sure the entire world
knows they're "in the mood"), but why would you call it
"disgusting"?

She was constantly sticking her butt in anyone's face, feline or
human, who didn't run from her first. She peed all over the place.
(No, it wasn't medical, it was directly related to the heat cycle, and
abruptly stopped after she was spayed)

Sherry

Old January 31st 07, 01:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

wrote:

Sherry wrote:

Castrating eliminates production of hormones, though. Males might
still spray, but that's territory-marking behavior, not sexual
behavior. Female cats really shouldn't show any sexual behavior
either. Thank God. I only had one cat I let go into heat before
spaying, and that was Biskit. That was disgusting.

Noisy, maybe (they DO try to make sure the entire world
knows they're "in the mood"), but why would you call it
"disgusting"?

She was constantly sticking her butt in anyone's face, feline or
human, who didn't run from her first. She peed all over the place.
(No, it wasn't medical, it was directly related to the heat cycle, and
abruptly stopped after she was spayed)

Oh well, if she sprayed, that would be something else again.
I've had a few females who came in heat before they could
be neutered, but SFAIK, none of them ever sprayed - maybe
they felt their lusty cries were sufficient advertising,
without the scent marking. (Guess I was just lucky.) I
found the way they "pedaled", butt elevated and tail
considerately looped to the side for easy male access,
amusing rather than disgusting (although, like Joyce, I felt
rather sorry for the cat's predicament). However, mine only
did that when they were at ground level, so I never had one
directly in my face, either.
Old January 31st 07, 04:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

wrote:

Sherry wrote:

[...]

directly in my face, either.- Hide quoted text -

Somehow, of all the cats I've had, I never had a cat in heat. I just
happened to either aquire them too young, or between cycles and
managed to get them spayed. Biskit was too emaciated, too frail to
spay right away. I was really surprsied she came into heat in the
shape she was in. So I really didn't realize how cats in heat behaved,
either. The spraying *was* the worst, and I was really afraid she
would continue that after she was fixed, but she didn't. One really
bizarre thing she did was, she had this fixation with a laundry
basket. She'd get in it, writhe around and howl. The other cats would
just look at me like, "Make her stop."

Sherry