Abelard's Strange Bed Choice

Old September 3rd 08, 07:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat[_2_]

Default Abelard's Strange Bed Choice

I don't think he wants me to post this - the minute I started thinking about
doing so, he woke from an apparent sound sleep and got up - but I'm going to
do it anyway, because I've never seen a cat sleeping in a pressure-cooker
before.

Old September 4th 08, 07:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Pat wrote:
I don't think he wants me to post this - the minute I started thinking about
doing so, he woke from an apparent sound sleep and got up - but I'm going to
do it anyway, because I've never seen a cat sleeping in a pressure-cooker
before.

Cold and with the cover off, I presume? ;-) It probably feels cool,
when he first curls up in it. My Cendrillon likes the bathroom
washbasin, these hot Arizona nights, even though my air-conditioning is
functioning perfectly well. (Fortunately, she's cooperative about
moving, when I get up at night and want a drink of water.)
Old September 4th 08, 07:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default Arizona nights (was: Abelard's Strange Bed Choice)

"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote:

My Cendrillon likes the bathroom washbasin, these hot Arizona nights,
even though my air-conditioning is functioning perfectly well.

You have hot nights in Arizona? Even in the Bay Area (more humid than
most of AZ) the nights are much cooler than the days.

--
Joyce ^..^

Old September 4th 08, 08:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat[_2_]

wrote

| You have hot nights in Arizona? Even in the Bay Area (more humid than
| most of AZ) the nights are much cooler than the days.

I lived in AZ for almost 10 years. Summer nights are often hot in Phoenix
due to the excessive humidity during the "monsoon season". Adding to the
problem all the transplants who think they must have a green lawn just like
they had in Ohio or Florida or wherever. Also, there are a dozens of huge
golf courses, hundreds of fountains and thousands (if not tens of thousands)
of swimming pools.

Old September 4th 08, 09:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default Arizona nights

Pat wrote:

wrote

You have hot nights in Arizona? Even in the Bay Area (more humid than
most of AZ) the nights are much cooler than the days.

I lived in AZ for almost 10 years. Summer nights are often hot in Phoenix
due to the excessive humidity during the "monsoon season". Adding to the
problem all the transplants who think they must have a green lawn just like
they had in Ohio or Florida or wherever. Also, there are a dozens of huge
golf courses, hundreds of fountains and thousands (if not tens of thousands)
of swimming pools.

Phoenix is humid? I had no idea. I stand corrected!

--
Joyce ^..^

Old September 4th 08, 10:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

wrote in message
Pat wrote:

wrote

You have hot nights in Arizona? Even in the Bay Area (more humid
than
most of AZ) the nights are much cooler than the days.

I lived in AZ for almost 10 years. Summer nights are often hot in
Phoenix
due to the excessive humidity during the "monsoon season". Adding
to the
problem all the transplants who think they must have a green lawn
just like
they had in Ohio or Florida or wherever. Also, there are a dozens
of huge
golf courses, hundreds of fountains and thousands (if not tens of
thousands)
of swimming pools.

Phoenix is humid? I had no idea. I stand corrected!

Yes it is, very much to the dismay of all the people that moved there
for the dry climate. (And proceeded to take up golf and swimming and
gardening)

Jo

Old September 4th 08, 11:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Jofirey wrote:

wrote in message

Phoenix is humid? I had no idea. I stand corrected!

Yes it is, very much to the dismay of all the people that moved there
for the dry climate. (And proceeded to take up golf and swimming and
gardening)

Well, I learned something new. Now, I have been to Tucson and that is
definitely not humid. But I've never been in Phoenix, so I didn't realize
the climate was so different. I always thought that the name "Arizona"
referred to "aridity". I guess Victor can correct me on that one.

--
Joyce ^..^

Old September 5th 08, 04:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat[_2_]

wrote
| Jofirey wrote:
|
| wrote in message
|
| Phoenix is humid? I had no idea. I stand corrected!
|
| Yes it is, very much to the dismay of all the people that moved there
| for the dry climate. (And proceeded to take up golf and swimming and
| gardening)
|
| Well, I learned something new. Now, I have been to Tucson and that is
| definitely not humid. But I've never been in Phoenix, so I didn't realize
| the climate was so different. I always thought that the name "Arizona"
| referred to "aridity".

Tucson is much more flat. Phoenix is in a valley and the air often
stagnates. Tucson is also at a higher altitude.

Old September 5th 08, 07:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
David

"Pat" wrote in message
et...

wrote
| Jofirey wrote:
|
| wrote in message
|
| Phoenix is humid? I had no idea. I stand corrected!
|
| Yes it is, very much to the dismay of all the people that moved there
| for the dry climate. (And proceeded to take up golf and swimming and
| gardening)
|
| Well, I learned something new. Now, I have been to Tucson and that is
| definitely not humid. But I've never been in Phoenix, so I didn't
realize
| the climate was so different. I always thought that the name "Arizona"
| referred to "aridity".

Tucson is much more flat. Phoenix is in a valley and the air often
stagnates. Tucson is also at a higher altitude.

Tucson (elevation 2,584 feet) is also in a valley, but maybe our prevailing
winds are different. (Tucson also has mountains as high as 9,157 feet in
close proximity, unlike Phoenix.) Phoenix also has more agriculture and
irrigation than Tucson, along with often-different styles of landscaping
than Tucson; these raise the prevailing humidity. (Some of the irrigation
canals in Phoenix follow ancient Hohokam canals, I'm told.) The humidity,
granted, is nothing like Houston, for instance, but Phoenix is definitely
more humid than Tucson--evaporative coolers don't work as well in Phoenix as
in Tucson.

Phoenix and its suburbs also are strong urban heat islands--all those
buildings and all that pavement suck up the heat during the day and give it
back at night, keeping the nights very warm during the summer. Tucson has
that effect also, but to a lesser degree--the population of the Tucson metro
area is about one million; the Phoenix area has about three million.

Both cities get summer rainy seasons, but I think Tucson's brings more rain.
We're just coming out of it now; during the rainy season, our evaporative
coolers work poorly and those of us who have air-conditioning are grateful!
And the cats are grateful for cool tile floors on which to lie!

David (a born Tucsonan)

Litter choice Outsider Cat anecdotes 15 January 24th 08 11:27 PM
Choice of vomit location Rick Onanian Cat health & behaviour 10 July 1st 07 07:20 PM
5/11/07 RECALL Sensible Choice/Kasco cat/dog dry buglady Cat health & behaviour 0 May 12th 07 12:05 PM
President's Choice Pet Insurance Ruby Tuesday Cat health & behaviour 1 January 1st 06 06:14 AM
My cat Toy Choice GovtLawyer Cat health & behaviour 16 February 6th 04 09:40 PM