Abelard's huge appetite

Old November 24th 10, 05:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat[_3_]

Default Abelard's huge appetite

For the last month or so he wants to be fed four times a day, with
snacks between meals! I thought he was getting plenty when he got two
whole cans of catfood per day.

For a snack, he'll take anything at all - today it was home-grown
turnip greens (best I've ever had). I'm so glad he wants to eat, I
give him all he wants. I'll never forget having to coerce him to eat.
Old November 26th 10, 02:47 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_2_]

Pat wrote:
For the last month or so he wants to be fed four times a day, with
snacks between meals! I thought he was getting plenty when he got two
whole cans of catfood per day.

For a snack, he'll take anything at all - today it was home-grown
turnip greens (best I've ever had). I'm so glad he wants to eat, I
give him all he wants. I'll never forget having to coerce him to eat.

Has he gained weight? If not, perhaps he should have his thyroid
checked. Best wishes. MLB
Old November 26th 10, 03:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Winnie

On Nov 24, 12:24*am, Pat wrote:
For the last month or so he wants to be fed four times a day, with
snacks between meals! I thought he was getting plenty when he got two
whole cans of catfood per day.

For a snack, he'll take anything at all - today it was home-grown
turnip greens (best I've ever had). I'm so glad he wants to eat, I
give him all he wants. I'll never forget having to coerce him to eat.

Rusty (RB) was always hungry at the end of last year. I had to feed
him
every 2 hours. He is always crying for food, but he remained skinny.
I thought something was wrong and took him to the vet first thing in
January, and he was diagnosed with pancreatitis.
So be on the watch out for anything out of the ordinary in his feeding
habits.
Old November 26th 10, 06:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat[_3_]

Winnie wrote:

Rusty (RB) was always hungry at the end of last year. *I had to
feed him every 2 hours. He is always crying for food, but he
remained skinny. I thought something was wrong and took him to
the vet first thing in January, and he was diagnosed with pancreatitis.

What I've read on pancreatitis is that one of the most common symptoms
is lack of appetite. Also that overweight pets are more prone to it. I
haven't found any reference to it causing excessive appetite.

Maybe the cooler weather has something to do with it. Maybe he just
wants more "fuel" to stay warm. He's still slender but doesn't have a
swollen gut at all, so I doubt any worms are involved. (Everyone gets
wormed regularly here, regardless.)

Old November 26th 10, 06:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Pat[_3_]

MLB wrote:
Pat wrote:
For the last month or so he wants to be fed four times a day, with
snacks between meals! I thought he was getting plenty when he got
two whole cans of catfood per day.

For a snack, he'll take anything at all - today it was home-grown
turnip greens (best I've ever had). I'm so glad he wants to eat, I
give him all he wants. I'll never forget having to coerce him to eat.

Has he gained weight? *If not, perhaps he should have his thyroid
checked.

He *feels* heavier when you pick him up, but doesn't particularly
*look* heavier, at least not yet. Maybe he will in another month if he
keeps on eating like a horse. He did have a recent thyroid check, and
it was normal.

Old November 26th 10, 10:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Pat wrote:

What I've read on pancreatitis is that one of the most common symptoms
is lack of appetite. Also that overweight pets are more prone to it.

Agreed on lack of appetite. Also listlessness. However, the only animals
I've known to be diagnosed with pancreatitis were of average weight, FWIW.

Maybe the cooler weather has something to do with it. Maybe he just
wants more "fuel" to stay warm. He's still slender but doesn't have a
swollen gut at all, so I doubt any worms are involved. (Everyone gets
wormed regularly here, regardless.)

What about hyperthyroidism?

Joyce

--
Cats' hearing apparatus is built to allow the human voice to easily
go in one ear and out the other. -- Stephen Baker
Old November 26th 10, 10:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Pat wrote:

MLB wrote:
Pat wrote:
For the last month or so he wants to be fed four times a day, with
snacks between meals! I thought he was getting plenty when he got
two whole cans of catfood per day.

For a snack, he'll take anything at all - today it was home-grown
turnip greens (best I've ever had). I'm so glad he wants to eat, I
give him all he wants. I'll never forget having to coerce him to eat.

Has he gained weight? *If not, perhaps he should have his thyroid
checked.

He *feels* heavier when you pick him up, but doesn't particularly
*look* heavier, at least not yet. Maybe he will in another month if he
keeps on eating like a horse. He did have a recent thyroid check, and
it was normal.

Ah, OK. I suggested, not hypo, but hyperthyroidism. Sounds like that's
not an issue, at least!

Joyce

Old November 26th 10, 10:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Winnie

On Nov 26, 1:35*pm, Pat wrote:
Winnie *wrote:
Rusty (RB) was always hungry at the end of last year. *I had to
feed him every 2 hours. He is always crying for food, but he
remained skinny. I thought something was wrong and took him to
the vet first thing in January, and he was diagnosed with pancreatitis.

What I've read on pancreatitis is that one of the most common symptoms
is lack of appetite. Also that overweight pets are more prone to it. I
haven't found any reference to it causing excessive appetite.

Rusty was underweight all his life. The vet was surprised by his being
always
hungry and yet had pancreatitis as indicated by specific blood test
result.
But later his appetite normalized , even with the prednisone which
tend to
stimulate appetite. Another common symptom is vomiting.
Rusty didn't vomit until a little after the diagnosis. In a
nutshell, he
showed no classic symptom of pancreatits to start with.

You are right, the cooler weather may have something to do with it.

Abelard's in luv. Pat Cat anecdotes 16 January 31st 07 04:18 AM
Abelard's new bed Pat Cat anecdotes 8 December 21st 05 05:13 AM
HUGE, HUGE purrrrrs and prayers today and tonight needed... ~*LiveLoveLaugh*~ Cat anecdotes 25 July 12th 05 05:31 PM
Abelard's vet bills Christine Burel Cat anecdotes 12 April 28th 05 12:44 AM
Abelard's Abnormal Appetite Pat Cat anecdotes 8 August 28th 03 06:30 PM