Litter box question

Old March 12th 05, 02:54 PM

Default Litter box question

Hi group,

KitKat currently has a liner in his litter box but he rips it to
shreds. I was thinking of skipping it next time I change out his box.
Any thoughts?

Also, how often should I change out all the litter in the box?

Thanks

Danielle
http://homepage.mac.com/roxy6671/Kit...toAlbum20.html

Old March 12th 05, 04:23 PM
Mary

equalizer wrote in message
On 12 Mar 2005 06:54:14 -0800, wrote:

Hi group,

KitKat currently has a liner in his litter box but he rips it to
shreds. I was thinking of skipping it next time I change out his box.
Any thoughts?

Also, how often should I change out all the litter in the box?

Thanks

Danielle
http://homepage.mac.com/roxy6671/Kit...toAlbum20.html

You really don't need the liner IMO. On the litter -- what are you
using? If you use clumping litter, then you really don't need to change
it out -- just scooping it will do the job. I've got 4 littler boxes and
4 large cats, and using clumping litter, about the only thing I do is
scrub out the boxes every few months. Just dump the scooped litter into
another box, clean that one, re-fill, and repeat.

I stopped using them for the same reason. I use scoopable litter.

Old March 12th 05, 04:52 PM
.oO rach Oo.

My girls do this too but I continue to use the liners. They seem to use it
to clean their paws before exiting the box. We use scooping litter and
scoop on a daily basis but fully change and new litter at least once a week
(there are two boxes). We also use the arm and hammer cat box stuff for a
better smell.

--
..oO rach Oo.

ups.com...

Old March 12th 05, 09:55 PM
MaryL

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi group,

KitKat currently has a liner in his litter box but he rips it to
shreds. I was thinking of skipping it next time I change out his box.
Any thoughts?

Also, how often should I change out all the litter in the box?

Thanks

Danielle
http://homepage.mac.com/roxy6671/Kit...toAlbum20.html

I don't use liners. I use clumping litter which I scoop often, then clean
the boxes when I change litter. I change litter once a week, which is
probably more often than most (2 cats, 2 very large litter boxes).

MaryL

Old March 13th 05, 03:37 AM
Elizabeth Blake

I don't use liners. I use clumping litter which I scoop often, then clean
the boxes when I change litter. I change litter once a week, which is
probably more often than most (2 cats, 2 very large litter boxes).

MaryL

You definitely change it more often than me. I have 2 cats, 2 boxes (in a
very small bathroom) and will sometimes go months without completely
changing the litter. I'm in NYC and I don't drive. There's a small, awful
supermarket in my neighborhood that carries a couple of clumping litter
brands, but only in gallon sized jugs (4 pounds?). They also charge $4+ for
them. So, I buy WBCL by my job, or order it online, and then I have to
carry it 6 blocks to my bus going home, and another 2 blocks when I get off
the bus. A 17 pound bag of WBCL just fills up both boxes enough to use, but
after a couple days of scooping clumps the level gets a little low. Tiger
only pees once a day, so when she goes she really goes. I like a lot of
litter in her favorite box so I don't have to scrape goo off the bottom.

Another reason for not changing them too often is because I live in an
apartment, and don't have access to a hose. I have to clean them out in the
bathtub and it's not fun or easy. Plus the dust and any remaining bits of
litter tend to clog the drain.

--
Liz

Old March 13th 05, 04:27 AM
MaryL

"Elizabeth Blake" wrote in message
nk.net...

[...]

I don't have the problems you described. I have a utility tub on wheels
that I roll outside, connect a short water hose from the utility tub to an
outside faucet, and wash the litter boxes. Then I drain the utility tub and
roll it back inside the garage. That utility tub is used *only* for litter
boxes. So, it's a pretty easy procedure to clean the boxes, and I may go a
bit "overboard" in changing the litter so often.

MaryL

Old March 13th 05, 07:25 PM

I never change out all the litter.

That's disgusting and regardless of how well you scoop, you create a
breeding ground for bacteria, especially when you have a grain-based
substance. It's not healthy for your cats and they shouldn't have step
in it or lick it off their paws. I use WBCL and it gets completely
changed at least once a month whether it needs it or not. My boxes get
washed with bleach every two weeks and the sides are wiped down in
between.

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke