Abelard's vet bills

Old April 27th 05, 10:20 PM
Steve Touchstone

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 07:34:56 -0500, "Pat"
wrote:

All the offers are greatly appreciated and would be very helpful indeed if I
could leave the vet with an unpaid bill. Every one of them I've ever seen
has a sign posted prominently in the waiting area, saying that payment is
expected immediately as services are rendered. That means, they want their
money before you leave the place with the animal(s), and I can't quite
picture what would happen if I told them "Hey, not to worry, you'll have
several different people calling from all over the world to make
contributions to cover this."

oh yeah, my vet has the same sign. I told him up front, as he was
first examing Rocky, that I wouldn't have the money, and would have to
make payments. At the time I still had a balance for Sammy's treatment
- this was right after we learned about her heart murmur. He said not
to worry about the money side, we'd work that out later, the important
thing was getting Rocky better.

I didn't mention getting money from around the world, as it hadn't
even occured to me to ask. That came about because someone offered to
help in a private email. I replied with the address privately. Then
others asked for it and I posted the address to the group. The next
day I received a call saying not to worry about the bill as it was
paid - both the balance for Sam and Rocky, and that I had a credit
balance. Like Pam said in her reply, the vet was very impressed that
money was coming from all over. He said he didn't realise he was
treating a world famous cat. That is one of the few bright spots
during that week when Rocky journeyed to the Bridge.

For those who may not remember, at the time I was living off Army
reitrement during the winter months and doing yardwork the rest of the
year. This all happened, both Sammy's condition being discovered and
Rocky being hurt, in late Sept and early Oct, just as my income was
being cut in half for the winter. That's when I went out and found the
winter job of pizza delivery. I didn't ask about refunding the
balance, knowing that Sam's quarterly ECGs, get prescription food,
etc. the money would be spent before spring.
--
Steve Touchstone,
faithful servant of Sammy and Little Bit

[remove Junk for email]
Home Page:
Old April 27th 05, 10:26 PM
CatNipped

"Steve Touchstone" wrote in message

For those who may not remember, at the time I was living off Army
reitrement during the winter months and doing yardwork the rest of the
year. This all happened, both Sammy's condition being discovered and
Rocky being hurt, in late Sept and early Oct, just as my income was
being cut in half for the winter. That's when I went out and found the
winter job of pizza delivery. I didn't ask about refunding the
balance, knowing that Sam's quarterly ECGs, get prescription food,
etc. the money would be spent before spring.

I'm sure the little bit each person sends is not even missed, but the sum
total of what all those generous people send can literally save a life.
Like others here I'm of the "pay it forward" persuasion! ;

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old April 28th 05, 12:44 AM
Christina Websell

"Pat" wrote in message

"Steve Touchstone" wrote

Glad to hear you've already covered the bill, but let us know if you
need anything.

All the offers are greatly appreciated and would be very helpful indeed if
could leave the vet with an unpaid bill. Every one of them I've ever seen
has a sign posted prominently in the waiting area, saying that payment is
expected immediately as services are rendered. That means, they want their
money before you leave the place with the animal(s), and I can't quite
picture what would happen if I told them "Hey, not to worry, you'll have
several different people calling from all over the world to make
contributions to cover this."

I suppose they would be surprised, but a while ago my Michigan friend Bob
sent me a 20 dollar note. It did not look at all like money to me! So when
Carrie-Lou Salter said that her Casey needed bladder surgery and she would
have difficulty with the bill, I mailed the hospital that Casey was in
(Canada) to ask if they would accept $20 American towards his treatment.
They mailed back and asked me if I could get my bank to transfer it into
Canadian. I said it would cost me as much as the donation was worth to do
that. Then they said they were worried if I sent 20 dollar bill cash it
might get stolen.
I explained how I would send it. In an envelope taped up with sellotape
with the words "to be opened only by" a member of their staff that I had
the name of.
It got there okay, because they mailed me, and it's their business how they
get it exchanged.

I just wish that Carrie-Lou would let us know how Casey is getting on. I
pinged her but she didn't respond.

I am not going to be cynical here and think she thought we might be a soft
touch for her vet's bill. It would be nice to hear about how Casey is now,
though.

I shan't be able to contribute for the time being. I was off so long from
work with my eye ops last year that I used all my sick pay up. I only just
got back to work in January and now I am sick again with something else.
I'm not sure yet if my employers will pay me for a while, or whether I have
to shoot right back to Incapacity Benefit. £60ish per week, impossible to
live on.

Tweed