No San Diego Home for Conan

Old July 6th 05, 09:55 PM
Mary

"Howard C. Berkowitz" wrote in message
In article , "Wendy"
wrote:

I have lovely friends in here who "ROFL'd" with me on this one, Mar.
Denial is not a river in China. Read the subject line, deary.

Now... didn't you just say your shredder has whiskers??? ^..^

--

·.·´¨ ¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))

*~*LiveLoveLaugh*~* Aloha!!!!!

Egypt. Denial (de Nile) isn't just a river in Egypt.

Sudan, where de Blue Nile and de White Nile meet.

LOL!!

Old July 6th 05, 10:00 PM
Howard C. Berkowitz

In article , "Mary"
wrote:

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

What?? How so?
Only asking because I'm amazed.

I'll try and dig up a reference to it--it was a news story I read some
years ago. Don't get me wrong--I love Texas. It has the distinct feel
of a foreign country--and I don't mean because of any ethnic
mix--just because people are so different there. When I visit
there, I have the strong feeling that they actually did secede
from the United States way back when!

It is hard to describe, but it is almost like there is still a strong
"frontier" quality in some of the ingrained values. Even in
cosmopolitan places like Houston and Dallas and Austin.

A friend of mine, of Swedish birth and citizenship, married a Texan and
lives in Dallas. She is the second-best linguist I know, native fluency
in three, professional in another four or so, and able to converse in
several others. Her English has no regional accent, but simply is what
you would expect from someone with graduate education in communications.
She has a very faint lilt with some words, which reminds me of someone
who speaks perfect English, but whose mother tongue was French.

One fine day, she called me, to tell me of a great triumph. As do many
linguists, when speaking a language fluently, they think in that
language. Kate informed me that she was now able to think in Texan in
addition to standard American English -- and, when she switched to
speaking Texan, her personality changed significantly.
Old July 6th 05, 10:15 PM
NewzWhale

On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 09:14:54 -0700, Dan M wrote:

I was really enjoying getting back into the group again. I have got to
find a newsreader with a killfile becuase apparently I don't have the
self-control to just skip over posts. I keep saying that but sheesh I
keep thinking things will just get better. I guess not.

Sherry

My recommendation is Thunderbird - the message filter functions work
really well. Take a look at http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/

Dan

Bah. It's a step backwards from the best older newsreaders like
Agent. It processes binaries automatically and lets crap into your
system.

But it's an obvious suggestion, being flogged everywhere you look.
Your glib endorsement reflects your shallow character... your
willingness to say whatever sounds good at the moment, without regard
to the truth.

So how is our beloved Conan? Have you people decided what you are
going to do with him yet?

Charlie
Old July 6th 05, 10:36 PM

CatNipped wrote:

Even more so than in the rest of the US, here in Texas, we do still have
that "frontier justice" mentality. In any other state, the family of the
thief who was killed would probably sue the owner who was defending his
property and win millions. Here in Texas they didn't even try to sue - no
Texas jury would award a cent to the "victim"'s family. Simple logic
prevails here - had he not been committing a crime, he would not have been
harmed! He's dead because of his own stupidity and his family will not be
rewarded for his crime.
Hugs,

CatNipped

I don't think that's anything to boast about, Texas or not. The guy
took a human life to save his *car*. That isn't right.

Sherry

Old July 6th 05, 10:36 PM
Candace

Christina Websell wrote:

To shock you further. I used to stroll down the road at midnight with my
dogs and I wore my pajamas whilst doing so. Came home safely every time.
No gun necessary, because no one else had one either.

I live in the central part of Phoenix,AZ, the 5th largest city in the
US. I walk at night alone all the time and have for the 30 years I've
lived here. I don't carry a gun and never felt I needed one.

I used to feed stray cats at night in an isolated alley, that was a
little creepy, but nothing ever happened.

Candace

Old July 6th 05, 11:29 PM
Victor Martinez

Christine K. wrote:
I'm using Thunderbird, but haven't figured out the finer points of
message filters, probably coz I haven't needed them before. How do you
configure it? Let's say I'd want to killfile me (using my own data as an

Here's what I do (which I just did for several idiots posting on this
thread):

Look at the message from the person you want to kill file. On the
header, right-click on their email address and select the last option
(Create filter from message), then just click OK. You're done! You'll
never have to read their messages again.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old July 6th 05, 11:30 PM
Kreisleriana

On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 21:15:51 GMT, NewzWhale
yodeled:

[...]

If you are going to badmouth Dan, you will not be welcome here.

Theresa
Old July 6th 05, 11:33 PM
Victor Martinez

CatNipped wrote:
Very true, I should have clarified that "the right to bear arms" dates back
to our founding fathers - guns were just *necessary* before then.

I believe in the right to arm bears.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old July 6th 05, 11:41 PM

Victor Martinez wrote:
CatNipped wrote:
Very true, I should have clarified that "the right to bear arms" dates back
to our founding fathers - guns were just *necessary* before then.

I believe in the right to arm bears.

--
Victor M. Martinez

LOL! That's my favorite T-shirt. I've about worn it out. It says
"Protect Your Right To Arm Bears" with a very realistic photo of bear
with a double-barrel shotgun.

Sherry

Old July 6th 05, 11:42 PM
Kreisleriana

On Wed, 06 Jul 2005 22:33:26 GMT, Victor Martinez
yodeled:

CatNipped wrote:
Very true, I should have clarified that "the right to bear arms" dates back
to our founding fathers - guns were just *necessary* before then.

I believe in the right to arm bears.

Totally.

Theresa