Small Animal Clinical Nutrition book / Mark Morris Institute

Old November 26th 03, 05:02 PM
Joe Canuck

PawsForThought wrote:

From: "Karen M."

I purchased the SACN, 4th edition recently for some research. A few
interesting things popped out (okay, one I checked on Google):

1. Mark Morris Institute (publisher and contributor) is an arm of Hill's
Pet Nutrition (
http://www.vet.ksu.edu/index/awards/2002/frey.htm).

Well well well, isn't that most interesting? It seems that when I posted this
a few weeks ago, Steve Crane called me a liar.

"Beginning in 1987, he served a four year term as Vice President and President
of American Association of Veterinary Nutrition. From 1994-2000 Dr. Frey served
on the Board of Directors for the Mark Morris Institute, an arm of Hill’s Pet
Nutrition which aims to promote nutritional education in small animals."

Hey, enough with the conspiracy theories. :-)

Seems to me if nothing else Hill's is very active in the area of
feline/canine nutrition.

There are *numerous* authors contributing to that book. Are you
suggesting that somehow they are ALL getting kickbacks from Hill's to
twist their text around in such a way that makes Hill's products look good?

I think that may be a bit of a stretch.

--
"Its the bugs that keep it running."
-Joe Canuck

Old November 26th 03, 06:56 PM
Karen M.

Joe Canuck wrote:

Karen M. wrote:

Just an FYI -

I purchased the SACN, 4th edition recently for some research. A few
interesting things popped out (okay, one I checked on Google):

1. Mark Morris Institute (publisher and contributor) is an arm of
Hill's Pet Nutrition (http://www.vet.ksu.edu/index/awards/2002/frey.htm).

2. An interestingly large number of contributors to the book as a
whole, and a majority of the contributors to the pet food sections
work or worked for either Hill's or MMI.

3. Only large industry brands were studied in the book -
Eukanuba/Iams, Purina, Hill's, and Nutro.

And, on a less factual note (more my opinion) it made people
interested in making homemade diets look largely like unintelligent
paranoid dolts.

As a whole, I was unimpressed with the pet food section. I was really
looking forward to some unbiased, clinical information on different
types of pet diets.

I won't respond to any flaming posts, but if anyone who has/has read
this book wants to rationally discuss their views on this reference
book, I would be interested to hear (read) your thoughts.

BTW, this text that you seem to be looking down your nose at is used in
most of the veterinary schools for training purposes.

What unique qualifications do you have to be essentially trashing a
technical text on animal nutrition?

I am a pet owner who cares about my pets and wants objective, accurate
information. I am well aware of what this book is used for. I put forth
my opinion and am looking for others to civilly give their opinion. I
don't see what is wrong with that??

Old November 26th 03, 07:32 PM

From: "Karen M."

[...]

Joe, you're just too polite to call her the idiot that she is.

-mhd

Old November 26th 03, 07:32 PM

Old November 26th 03, 07:55 PM
PawsForThought

From: Joe Canuck

From: "Karen M."

[...]

Now did I say that??!!!! I just don't appreciate being called a liar by Steve
Crane when what I posted a couple of weeks ago apparently is true.

Lauren
________
Old November 26th 03, 07:55 PM
PawsForThought

Old November 26th 03, 08:35 PM
GAUBSTER2

No, that's not true. There are numerous "no name" brands that I have
never
heard of in the book. Check out the appendix. Anybody else ever heard of
Wafcol??

Sure, available in the UK.

Joe, is it a major brand over there?

I don't know, I'm over here. :-)

I just popped the name into Google and a number of UK links popped up.

I thought you were in Canada vs. the UK. Wasn't sure if you had been over
there before (I have not)? Have a good one!

Old November 26th 03, 08:38 PM
GAUBSTER2

Seems to me if nothing else Hill's is very active in the area of
feline/canine nutrition.

There are *numerous* authors contributing to that book. Are you
suggesting that somehow they are ALL getting kickbacks from Hill's to
twist their text around in such a way that makes Hill's products look good?

Now did I say that??!!!! I just don't appreciate being called a liar by
Steve
Crane when what I posted a couple of weeks ago apparently is true.

Lauren

Lauren, what you said ISN'T true as refuted factually by Steve Crane. Have you
even seen the text? I bet not.