Cruel to be kind?

Old June 23rd 04, 10:04 AM
Vee

"m. L. Briggs" wrote in message

Has anybody had to go through this? At what point does cutting back on

his
food (to normal) become 'torturing the poor defenceless likkle puddy

tat.'

I am distraught - but not half as distraught as that damn cat.

vee.

We adopted Isabelle last September. Until just recently you couldn't

enter
the kitchen without her trailing along just certain that she was going to
get fed ..... again. We had to feed Boots (the kitten) in a box with a

hole
to small for her to fit through and guard Tigger's food like it was the

gold
deposit in Fort Knox. We recently changed Isabelle over to the lite
hair-ball food. She hates it. She has stopped inhaling it and only shows
interest in the kitchen at the appointed meal times. Has she lost any
weight? - no. At least she's not acting like food is her life any more.

Only
took 9 months.

It has taken TuTu 6 &1/2 years and she still can't stand to see an
empty food dish. Even though she doesn't always eat it, she wants
food in it. MLB

Nine months and 6 1/2 years!! Oh my!!!! But, it takes me about that long to
shed a few pounds. Glum.

I wonder if this 'food is security' happens to cats that have had to fend
for themselves in the past? Or are cats like us, some are greedy, and some
not?
I love the idea of feeding a kitten in a box. 8)))

Just a minute!! "only shows interest in the kitchen at the appointed meal
times. Has she lost any weight? - no. "

Lor. This is what I am worried about, but you have a female? The Phantom was
about three or four when I took him to the vets, and there is a commonly
held belief that after a certain age a cat will go fat and lazy if they are
castrated. But how true is this, or are people thinking about the typical
eunuch you see in films, the ones wearing baggy trousers and a turban and
carrying a big curved sword? Terrible cliche, but they are always huge. 8(

Under the layer of self-satisfaction and the most glourious soft, thick
grey fur (he must have some Russian blood in him somewhere) The Phantom is
a BIG cat. The width across his shoulders makes two of DaftCat, and that
animal is larger than normal.
If I lived out in the country, or had plenty of hunting space around, I
would love a Maine Coon.. I hope I have the name right. Saw some on TV and
was enchanted. Great big, tough looking cats all whiskers and lashing tail.
magnificent animals!

Anyway... Would you believe this morning husband pinched the cat food and
lugged it downstairs because 'well he was crying...'
'How much did you give him???'
'A handful...'

That's it!! Now I take the cat food into bed with me! When this bag is
empty I will try wet food only. At least I can count the empty bags in the
waste bin.

vee

Old June 23rd 04, 12:22 PM
Wendy

"Vee" marrowjam@[totally wild}blueyonder.co.uk wrote in message
news

"m. L. Briggs" wrote in message

[...]

But hey she's not gaining either )

Lor. This is what I am worried about, but you have a female? The Phantom

was
about three or four when I took him to the vets, and there is a commonly
held belief that after a certain age a cat will go fat and lazy if they

are
castrated. But how true is this, or are people thinking about the typical
eunuch you see in films, the ones wearing baggy trousers and a turban and
carrying a big curved sword? Terrible cliche, but they are always huge. 8(

all my cats have been neutered. It seems my females are the ones with the
weight problem. Isabelle came that way tho so this one isn't my fault.

Under the layer of self-satisfaction and the most glourious soft, thick
grey fur (he must have some Russian blood in him somewhere) The Phantom

is
a BIG cat. The width across his shoulders makes two of DaftCat, and that
animal is larger than normal.
If I lived out in the country, or had plenty of hunting space around, I
would love a Maine Coon.. I hope I have the name right. Saw some on TV and
was enchanted. Great big, tough looking cats all whiskers and lashing

tail.
magnificent animals!

Anyway... Would you believe this morning husband pinched the cat food and
lugged it downstairs because 'well he was crying...'
'How much did you give him???'
'A handful...'

I think men must have a diet sabotage gene.

Old June 23rd 04, 09:42 PM
Vee

"Laura R." wrote in message
Anyway... Would you believe this morning husband pinched the cat food

and
lugged it downstairs because 'well he was crying...'
'How much did you give him???'
'A handful...'

That's it!! Now I take the cat food into bed with me! When this bag is
empty I will try wet food only. At least I can count the empty bags in

the
waste bin.

If you take the cat food into bed with you, where will your husband
sleep?

In his own room! Along with his walking frame, his crutches and his damn sit
up and beg chair that has a cover reduced to ribbons by the cat - and his
piles of magazines and his dropped clothes and his mountain of 'no don;t
touch, I need all that paperwork'.. need I go on?

meanwhile I have captured this room with the open window and traipsing cats
and yowls, and hisses, and a great lump sleeping over my feet and my books
and tidy counter tops and drawers, and computer and a ginger cat? Where did
HE come from? OUT! And stretch up a couple of inches on this seat and I can
see what is going on in the road... excuse me while I get my binoculars....
and because of a box at the end of my bed the door opens just wide enough
for me to get in but... not a walking frame? Oh, what a shame.

Vee.

Old June 23rd 04, 09:42 PM
Vee

"Wendy" wrote in message

"Vee" marrowjam@[totally wild}blueyonder.co.uk wrote in message

Just a minute!! "only shows interest in the kitchen at the appointed

meal
times. Has she lost any weight? - no. "

But hey she's not gaining either )

Ahhh!

Anyway... Would you believe this morning husband pinched the cat food

and
lugged it downstairs because 'well he was crying...'
'How much did you give him???'
'A handful...'

I think men must have a diet sabotage gene.

I think 'some' men are just daft. I mean, if you trudged about, awkwardly on
a crutch, would you start teasing a cat with the end of it? Like:
'Pounce, cat! Chase the mousy! Here cat,' tickle-tickle. Then he moans when
said cat throws himself bodily at the end of the crutch when he is walking.
Mad. He will end up falling on the animal and then there will be two silly
beggars rolling about on the floor.

I give up.
Vee