Air Travel With Cat

Old October 18th 04, 01:38 AM
KellyH

"Cat Protector" wrote in message
news:sVBcd.74100$tU4.41311@okepread06...
I did check one airline and they allow the cat to be in the cabin but it
counts as one piece of carry on luggage. The problem with that is, the
flight makes a stop in Salt Lake City before going into Las Vegas. Though
the flight is cheaper, it does delay my travel time a bit. There is another
airline that goes non-stop into Las Vegas but it is a bit more expensive.
If I go non-stop round trip by plane it is 2 hours 20 min, rather than 8-12
hours by car. This is a first trip to Vegas for us as well. Besides the
flying or car travel does anyone have tips for the hotel stay. We'll most
likely stay at the hotel where the show is being held (will probably be for
3 days since it is a 2 day show) so if anyone has tips on having a cat in a
hotel room besides air vs car travel please feel free to post.

Doesn't this sound like a lot of stress on Isis? JUST STAY HOME!

--
-Kelly
kelly at farringtons dot net

--
Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

"Luvskats00" wrote in message
There are several cat carriers that adhere to the airline regulations for
under
the seat "storage". Before you even do that, though, book the flight
where you
get confirmation that the airline allows you to travel with your cat.
Under no
circumstances EVER EVER EVER surrender your cat to the cargo area...even
if
they stand on their head and swear that it's the cargo area that's safe
for
pets....don't do it. If necessary, don't go on the flight if they don't
let you
travel with your cat. As far as being tranquilized, you'll have to
discuss
that with your vet if that's a good idea. Good luck!

Old October 18th 04, 01:42 AM
Brigitte

"Cat Protector" wrote in message
I might be going to a cat show in Las Vegas with my cat Isis and was
wondering if anyone had any tips on how to travel with her by air. I have
read it isn't good to tranquilize a cat for air travel since it could be
problematic. I have also read that bringing the cat as carry-on and being
able to fit the carrier under the seat is ideal but have no clue how much
room there is under the seat for a carrier. I have a small carrier (not

hard
but more sherpa bag-like) but am not sure if it is small enough.

I am guessing the flight will be an hour or so since I'll be going there
from Phoenix. I am concerned that she might need to use the litterbox as
well and I am pretty sure they probably won't allow her out for a bathroom
break. If I also were to fly I plan on bringing her into the vet before

hand
so she is checked out and also has her health certificates with me (This

is
a new vet so I imagine they'll probably give her a rabies shot and

others).

I am also wondering if travelling by car is better or less stressful as a
trip to Vegas is probably at least a 4-6 hour drive by car? I want to do
what is less stressful on Isis. She is ok with car travel short distances
but I am not sure as it is a much longer distance. I also have never been

Vegas so I am a bit uneasy. Is air travel better than car travel for a

cat?
If so, which airline is the best to travel with a cat?

--
Cat Galaxy: All Cats! All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

I'm interested in anyone who has experience with moving across country with
pets. In March, I'll be moving from Nebraska to northern California with a
pug, a chow chow and 2 cats.

Fortunately I have a minivan, but not quite sure the best way to move all
these critters.

My thought is to use the large dog crate that I usually use for the chow
chow, for the cats. Put them in there with a small litter box, with water
and food of course, and let the dogs roam freely in the van.

Anyone out there have any other ideas?

Thanks,
Brigitte

Old October 18th 04, 01:50 AM
Diane L. Schirf

In article kgEcd.145301$He1.134581@attbi_s01,
"KellyH" wrote:

Doesn't this sound like a lot of stress on Isis? JUST STAY HOME!

Yes, he definitely should not drag the poor little moggie about like
that just for a show.

--
http://www.mindspring.com/~slywy/

Old October 18th 04, 02:11 AM
Mary

link.net...
"KellyH" wrote:

Doesn't this sound like a lot of stress on Isis? JUST STAY HOME!

Yes, he definitely should not drag the poor little moggie about like
that just for a show.

--

Diane. Seriously, the cat aside. You have read CPs posts. Can you see him
negotiating airports etc. with a cat in tow?

Old October 18th 04, 02:25 AM
Annie Wxill

"Brigitte" wrote in message
I'm interested in anyone who has experience with moving across country
with
pets. In March, I'll be moving from Nebraska to northern California with
pug, a chow chow and 2 cats.

Fortunately I have a minivan, but not quite sure the best way to move all
these critters.

My thought is to use the large dog crate that I usually use for the chow
chow, for the cats. Put them in there with a small litter box, with water
and food of course, and let the dogs roam freely in the van.

Anyone out there have any other ideas?

Thanks,
Brigitte

We moved from Washington State to Texas with three cats in a Suburban. Each
cat traveled in a hard-sided travel carrier that was big enough for a small
litter box. The trip took several days and they were fine. We let them out
when we were in the hotel room.
When we evacuated one time for a hurricane, we again had three cats, but
only one had come with us from Washington. We put that one (Moxie) and her
buddy (Cinder) in the largest carrier together. Rosie, who was semi-feral
and being tamed, rode in her own carrier. They all did fine.
They didn't use the litter box until after we stopped, but they did eat and
drink along the way.
I think it's important for cats to travel in a carrier because they are
likely to panic and run away if they get out of the car.
Dogs are safer in a carrier, too, but when we had dogs, we generally
traveled with them loose in the car. They had been trained to behave, so we
did not have any problems.
Good luck with your move.
Annie

Old October 18th 04, 02:29 AM
Annie Wxill

"Cat Protector" wrote in message
I might be going to a cat show in Las Vegas with my cat Isis and was
wondering if anyone had any tips on how to travel with her by air. I have
read it isn't good to tranquilize a cat for air travel since it could be
problematic.

Hi, C.P.
Even if it were advisable to tranquilize the cat, which it is not, you might
be in violation of some of the cat show rules.
I don't know about cat shows, but horse shows, and I believe dog shows, can
disqualify or severly penalize people who try to exhibit animals that have
been drugged.
Annie