Question - Cats and Eggnog

Old December 18th 05, 01:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Question - Cats and Eggnog

I was just wondering - is non-alcoholic eggnog (specifically
Borden's) bad for cats? I just know that Little Feet will want to
sample a little when I open it.

Hugs and Purrs,
Mark
--
Proof of Sanity Forged Upon Request

Old December 18th 05, 01:54 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Mark Edwards wrote:

I was just wondering - is non-alcoholic eggnog (specifically
Borden's) bad for cats? I just know that Little Feet will want to
sample a little when I open it.

Why limit it to non-alcohlic? I remember once setting a
glass of eggnog (well-laced with cognac) on the coffee table
while I went to answer the door. I came back to a HALF
glass of eggnog and a somewhat unsteady white kitten!
(FWIW, the cat suffered no visible ill-effects, but I had to
keep the eggnog well out of his reach from then on.)

Old December 18th 05, 10:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 00:07:04 -0000, Mark Edwards
wrote:

I was just wondering - is non-alcoholic eggnog (specifically
Borden's) bad for cats? I just know that Little Feet will want to
sample a little when I open it.

Hugs and Purrs,
Mark

Doesn't eggnog have *uncooked* eggs in it???

According to the US Dept. of Agriculture, you're not even supposed to
eat partially cooked eggs anymore, due to the Salmonella which is not
killed by partially cooked eggs (sunny side up,etc.).

I don't know what Salmonella would do to a cat, but it can make a human
very, very sick.
Old December 19th 05, 02:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

wrote:

I was just wondering - is non-alcoholic eggnog (specifically
Borden's) bad for cats? I just know that Little Feet will want to
sample a little when I open it.

Hugs and Purrs,
Mark

Doesn't eggnog have *uncooked* eggs in it???

According to the US Dept. of Agriculture, you're not even supposed to
eat partially cooked eggs anymore, due to the Salmonella which is not
killed by partially cooked eggs (sunny side up,etc.).

He was talking about commercial eggnog, so strictures on
"raw" eggs don't apply. (IIRC "Borden's" comes in a can,
and doesn't even require refrigeration until after you open
it.) Even if you're a purist like me, who wants to make it
from scratch, you can now buy "pastuerized" eggs - true,
they cost about three times as much as the normal ones, but
if you have an irresistible craving for "real" eggnog,
that's an option.

I don't know what Salmonella would do to a cat, but it can make a human
very, very sick.

I thought it was one of the human diseases to which our
companion animals are immune.

Old December 19th 05, 03:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote:

Gandalf wrote:

I don't know what Salmonella would do to a cat, but it can make a human
very, very sick.

I thought it was one of the human diseases to which our
companion animals are immune.

Some pet-type animals, such as rodents and reptiles, seem to
carry high levels of salmonella without becoming diseased, but
cats are not one of them. Cats can easily develop
salmonellosis. It's one of the known hazards of feeding a raw
diet -- a hazard not alone for the pet, but also for the human
handling the pet.

--

Wayne M
(indulged by Will and Heidi)
Old December 19th 05, 07:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2005-12-18, EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) penned:

Why limit it to non-alcohlic? I remember once setting a glass of
eggnog (well-laced with cognac) on the coffee table while I went to
answer the door. I came back to a HALF glass of eggnog and a
somewhat unsteady white kitten! (FWIW, the cat suffered no visible
ill-effects, but I had to keep the eggnog well out of his reach from
then on.)

Several years ago, when I was still dating my ex, we came home late
from a party. We brought back some bottles of alcohol, including some
vile mint-flavored blue stuff. Dropped it on the kitchen counter and
went to bed.

The next morning, I woke and saw that my ex was up and playing on the
computer. I could swear I smelled alcohol on him -- and this at 10am!
"Have you been drinking?" "No." "Are you *sure*?" "Of course I am."

This went on for a while, with me convinced that my then-boyfriend had
a drinking problem (after all, he was drinking right after waking up,
denying it, and grumpy about my questions) ... until I finally walked
into the kitchen. I saw blue all over the floor and quickly figured
out that I'd been smelling the spill, not the boyfriend. Apparently,
the bottle had cracked, maybe when we set it not-so-gently on the
counter the previous night.

My dog Puma (RB) was conspicuously quiet and inactive all day, though,
and looked ill whenever anyone spoke above a whisper. Poor guy. He
must have tried to clean the mess up.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old December 19th 05, 09:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote in message

My dog Puma (RB) was conspicuously quiet and inactive all day, though,
and looked ill whenever anyone spoke above a whisper. Poor guy. He
must have tried to clean the mess up.

My sister isn't usually much of a pet person, but she unaccountably liked
our little poodles. She is quite fond of her wine, and would dip a finger
in it and let the dogs lick it off. One of them became extremely fond of
her.

Jo

Old December 20th 05, 03:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Jo Firey wrote:

"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote in message

My dog Puma (RB) was conspicuously quiet and inactive all day, though,
and looked ill whenever anyone spoke above a whisper. Poor guy. He
must have tried to clean the mess up.

My sister isn't usually much of a pet person, but she unaccountably liked
our little poodles. She is quite fond of her wine, and would dip a finger
in it and let the dogs lick it off. One of them became extremely fond of
her.

I understand dogs are often fond of beer. My girl-friend's
son used to let theirs lick the last few drops from the
mouth of the bottle.

Jo

Old December 20th 05, 03:22 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Jo Firey wrote:
"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote in message

My dog Puma (RB) was conspicuously quiet and inactive all day,
though, and looked ill whenever anyone spoke above a whisper. Poor
guy. He must have tried to clean the mess up.

My sister isn't usually much of a pet person, but she unaccountably
liked our little poodles. She is quite fond of her wine, and would
dip a finger in it and let the dogs lick it off. One of them became
extremely fond of her.

Jo

Vino used to lick drippings off bottles of wine when we were making our
own in Vancouver. I never noticed that it had any effect on him, so he
probably didn't get enough.
--
Britta
"There is no snooze button on a cat who wants breakfast." -- Unknown