Dry cat food recall

Old March 12th 13, 03:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
buglady[_2_]

Default Dry cat food recall

http://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/uc...ce=govdelivery

Premium Edge, Diamond Naturals and 4health Dry Cat Food Formulas
Voluntarily Recalled Due to Possibility of Low Levels of Thiamine
(Vitamin B1)
03/11/2013 10:21 AM EDT

Diamond Pet Foods is voluntarily recalling limited production codes of
Premium Edge Finicky Adult Cat Formula dry cat food, Premium Edge Senior
Cat Hairball Management Formula dry cat food, Premium Edge Kitten
Formula dry cat food, Diamond Naturals Kitten Formula dry cat food and
4health All Life Stages Cat Formula dry cat food. Tests conducted by the
company indicated the products might have a low level of thiamine
(Vitamin B1).

buglady
take out the dog before replying
Old March 13th 13, 10:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

buglady wrote:
http://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/uc...ce=govdelivery

Premium Edge, Diamond Naturals and 4health Dry Cat Food Formulas
Voluntarily Recalled Due to Possibility of Low Levels of Thiamine
(Vitamin B1)
03/11/2013 10:21 AM EDT

Diamond Pet Foods is voluntarily recalling limited production codes of
Premium Edge Finicky Adult Cat Formula dry cat food, Premium Edge
Senior Cat Hairball Management Formula dry cat food, Premium Edge
Kitten Formula dry cat food, Diamond Naturals Kitten Formula dry cat
food and 4health All Life Stages Cat Formula dry cat food. Tests
conducted by the company indicated the products might have a low
level of thiamine (Vitamin B1).

buglady
take out the dog before replying

I must be missing something here. Vitamin B1 is relatively cheap. You can
get it in liquid form and just add a few drops to whatever your cat is
eating.

Old March 13th 13, 11:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
MaryL[_2_]

"Bill Graham" wrote in message

buglady wrote:
[...]

~~~~~~~~~~
Yes, but thiamine is essential for cats. Most people use cat directly from
the bag or can--they do not expect to add vitamins to it just to meet
minimum requirements, so it would be easy to inadvertently deprive a cat of
essential nutrients.

MaryL

Old March 14th 13, 01:58 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

buglady wrote:
[...]

I understand that, but, "recall"? Sounds a bit draconian to me.... I mean,
its not like it was contaminated with rat poison....:^)

Old March 14th 13, 03:36 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
buglady[_2_]

On 3/13/2013 8:58 PM, Bill Graham wrote:
I understand that, but, "recall"? Sounds a bit draconian to me.... I
mean, its not like it was contaminated with rat poison....:^)

...........for one thing, you might feel differently if you were spending
money at the vet because your cat was sick when it was caused by a food
that has the "complete and balanced" mantra stamped on it.

All the B vitamins are water soluble and not stored in the body and need
constant replacement.

http://www.petplace.com/cats/thiamin...ats/page1.aspx

Vets do not automatically assume it's the food, though after all the
melamine poisonings they should always question the food.

............This has happened before with essential vitamins in pet food.
Look for more recalls as it's probably an issue with a vitamin/mineral
mix they bought from..........somewhere.

Old March 14th 13, 11:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Bill Graham

buglady wrote:
[...]

take out the dog before replyingI think I get around this by varying the
food my cats get. they quickly get tired of any pone brand, so I am always
buying them a big variety of different stuff, as well as feeding them
table scraps and the deli meat from my sandwiches. One of them likes
cantalope and honydew melons. nother one gave up on cat food some time
aqgo and now she only eats the same stuff my wife and I eat. (fish &
chicken) If a pe3t food poisoned any of thiom, I probably wouldn't know
which one it was unless I sent it all to a lab to be tested. but the
general principal is, if you (or your cats) eat a large variety, then they
will get all the vitamins and minerals they need. The danger is in feeding
them just one and the same thing all the time. When you do that, you are
putting all your eggs in one basket and are trusting everything on the
integrity of just one manufacturer. - Bad news for buying stocks or
feeding cats.....

dry pet food recall cl Cat anecdotes 2 September 14th 08 05:22 PM
Serious pet food recall Marvel Cat community 3 March 31st 07 01:43 PM
FDA may recall pet food due to mad cow Steve Cat health & behaviour 66 January 2nd 04 02:19 AM
FDA may recall pet food due to mad cow Steve Cat community 6 December 29th 03 12:57 AM
FDA may recall pet food due to mad cow PawsForThought Cat health & behaviour 4 December 28th 03 11:18 PM